Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sick Rescues...

+4
Marnie
ozziesmum
Mystic
Kouneli
8 posters

Go down

Sick Rescues... Empty Sick Rescues...

Post by Kouneli Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:00 pm

So my fiance and I picked up a couple of geckos from someone who practically ignored them. They used VitaSand (nasty stuff...stained everything blue...geckos included), had no humid hide (and as a result the geckos had loads of stuck shed piled up), had a Meditteranean house gecko juvie in there, and supposedly no heat, either. I can't imagine how these guys survived for 3 years. One had shed stuck over the eyes so badly that she's unable to eat on her own due to being blinded. She's very skinny and missing toes, as well, so this had been like that for a while. The other has a puss-filled eye and stuck shed on the toes (though none have gone missing yet), but looks like she's a good weight.

Well, we got them home, transfered them to another cage (disposed of the VitaSand). Gave them a gecko "bath" to try and get that stuck shed off. Used some q-tips and water to get the shed off around the eyes. We were successful, but unfortunately, it looks like the skinny one's eyes have pretty much deteriorated. *sigh*

Here are some pics to show just how bad the skinny one had it. These are pictures from the previous owner. And the poop in the background of picture #3? That was like that all over the cage. Previous owner claimed that the cage hadn't been cleaned in a year.

Sick Rescues... Poor_leopard_gecko_by_fuzzybuttbunny-d4h49md

Sick Rescues... Poor_leopard_gecko_by_fuzzybuttbunny-d4h49rq

And gecko #2...

Sick Rescues... New_leopard_gecko_2_by_fuzzybuttbunny-d4h4a1j

Kouneli

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 191

Back to top Go down

Sick Rescues... Empty Re: Sick Rescues...

Post by Mystic Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:18 pm

OMG that is so horrific i cant stand people who get animals and then just hide them in a corner not caring if they live or die. i am so grateful you rescued these poor guys they look to have been suffering for a while. thank goodness you found them!
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ozziesmum Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:32 pm

Oh no it makes you want to cry, I hope you manage to turn their lives around and they at last find some love and proper care.
ozziesmum
ozziesmum
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 560

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnie Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:44 pm

:'( my eyes actually started to fill up, i cant imagine treating animals like this. That is the worst thing i've ever seen, all the second ones underneath is blue! He/she looks healthier though. The first ones had it really bad by the looks of it, even missing a tail! (unless its off camera aha) Poor things, so glad you got to them and hopefully just in time Sad
Marnie
Marnie
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 484

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:00 pm

Lucky for these geckos that you guys have given them a loving home and the best thing you can do for those poor geckos is get them to a reptile vet for treatment asap x
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:36 am

O__O

HOW COULD THEY LET THEM LIVE LIKE THAT?!

Seriously, how could the previous owners leave them to live like that? That disgusts me, absolutely disgusts me.

The poor leos.

This makes me want to cry.

Good for you for taking them! I really hope the first one can pull through , and be able to see again. And the second one as well, but the second one doesn't look nearly as bad. Poor things.

Good luck in taking care of them!!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:54 am

Well I cried when I saw the first pic Sad Sad
How could someone let them get that bad???
Sad It's absolutely disgusting Sad

They are so lucky you've rescued them Smile You are awesome!
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:50 am

Awwwww... what a bunch of crap... there's a special place in hell for them. I agree with sam... they absolutely need to see a vet esp. For the pus isue. That's an active infection that need type specific meds to treat. Good for you for taking them on. Hopefully it all works out in the end. Good luck.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kouneli Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:50 am

Got them into the vet first thing this morning. Came back with some antibiotic ointment to place in each of their eyes (even the "healthier" one's unaffected eye). We'll see how it goes. As for the tail on the sickly one, it's just off the camera. It's about 1.5cm in diameter, very skinny. Almost bone-thin. Will be syringe feeding that one twice a day.

As for the little Mediterranean gecko that came with the two leopard geckos, he's now separated and in his own cage. He ate a small cricket that was a bit too big for him last night, but it's all I had that late in the evening lol. He seems to be doing well.

Kouneli

LGF Points LGF Points : 191

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:56 am

You and your fiance are truly amazing. Absolutely amazing. You two are heros, seriously.

I'm so glad they are getting treatment, and I really hope they will come out of this with little to no permanent damage. My fingers are crossed for them.

I'm glad the Mediterranean gecko is doing well as well!

Again, Kudos to you for what you've accomplished!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down