Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help! My baby is sick..

2 posters

Go down

Need help! My baby is sick.. Empty Need help! My baby is sick..

Post by drxl34 Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:14 pm

I have a normal leopard gecko from a petstore that (within the past two weeks) has not been eating much or at all. His abdomen is normal sized but his tail has shrunk significantly. He had diarrea for about two days and seemed to be doing better after that but now wont eat! At least not much! Its only 6am here so I can't call a vet yet but I need help finding one anyways! My dogs vet is about 3 hrs away and not sure if he even does reptiles... Anyone know of any vets in the philadelphia area??

Until then.. I'm worried he has a parasite/crypto but I don't understand how I've had him for a month or two and only now does he look sick. He was housed with my female blizzard for about two weeks (and before at the petstore) but she has significantly put on weight and looks as healthy as a horse. They are no seperated but is it possible she's sick as well? Also, I have my two other babies in a "rack" setting above the sick gecko. I'm assuming parasites don't spread by anything besides poop but will they be ok as well?

Now, there's a chance he just had impaction from the sand he used to be on at the store and had just finished pooping it out. He shed normally a week or two ago. He seems paler in color but that might just be because hes hungry/dehydrated? Help me please!!
drxl34
drxl34

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 152

Back to top Go down

Need help! My baby is sick.. Empty Re: Need help! My baby is sick..

Post by kathstew Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:33 pm

kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by drxl34 Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:54 pm

About your leo:
- Sex- not sure yet
- Age & Weight- not sure of either! (still a juvenile)
- Morph (if you know)- normal
- How long have you owned your leo- between 1-2 months
- Where was he/she obtained (Pet store, breeder, wild caught, etc.)- pet store
- Is your leo wild caught or captive bred- i am not sure probably WC

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo- only when i clean the cage
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how- slower and irritable. tried to bite me!
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe.- diarrea a week or two ago, not eating properly
B) Fecals
- Describe-Do they look any different than normal- look ok now
- When was the last time he/she went- yesterday/two days ago
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem/issue you are experiencing and how long it has been going on- hasn't been eating, tail is getting skinnier and seems lethargic and irritable. Hard to tell but he was never "perky" when I got him. Slow progression.

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size- ~10x18 reptile keeper (quarantine)
- Type (ex. glass tank, screen enclosure, tub kept)- reptile keeper (acryllic i believe)
- Type of substrate (sand, vinyl tiles, ceramic/stone tiles, etc.)- used to be on sand in the petstore and for about a week with me (never fed on the sand with me though). has been on paper towels about 2 weeks at least
- Hides (how many, location and type (hothide, humid hide, regular hide etc.)- one warm hide, one humid hide
B) Heating
- What is your main heat source (heat bulbs, under tank heat mat etc) **Please include the brand and size of your UTH if you use one**- UTH i believe from zoo-med 4x6in on one side. He seems to be good about regulating heat.
- What are your cage temps (hot side and cool side)- floor temp ranges from 85-95 throughout the day on hot side. cool side is about 70-75.
- Method of regulating your heat source (thermostat, rheostat, light dimmer etc.)- none.
- What are you using to measure your temps (probe thermometer, infrared lazer tempo gun, stick on temp gauge, etc)- thermometer from petsmart?
- Do you have any lights (describe type (red,blue, basking etc) and cycle duration)- used to have basking lamp but no longer use.
C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females)- used to have a female for a week or two when i first got him but have since seperated
- Describe health, or previous problems of cage mates- other gecko seems perfectly healthy and has grown much more. no problems at all.

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What are you feeding- crickets and mealworms
- How often are you feeding your gecko and how much per feeding?- i take the hides out, change papertowels, and add about 5-7 small crickets (less than 1cm). i allow a few minutes then replace the hides. I used to remove the crickets but have left a few in because i want him to eat. I have seen him chase a few close crickets but hasnt caught any in my presence. I know he has eaten one or two in the past few days. I also leave a bottle cap with about 6 smaller mealies and he has eaten about 3 in the past week.
- How are you feeding (hand fed, tongs/tweezers, left in dish, etc)- ^above
B) Supplements
- What calcium suppliment are you using (please include brand)- repcal sprinkled in mealie dish
- What multi vitimin are you using (please include brand)- repcal gutloads the mealies and crickets
-How are you implimenting your suppliment program (how often do you dust with each suppliment, do you leave calcium in the tank 24/7 etc.)- above^
- What are you gutloading your feeder insects with- above^

*update- called the exotic dept near me and the soonest they can get me in is tuesday.. should i take that? i dont want it to be too late.. they have an emergency dept but i dont want to pay an arm and a leg if possible
drxl34
drxl34

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 152

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down