Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

coconut husk instead of paper towels/sand/tile?

4 posters

Go down

coconut husk instead of paper towels/sand/tile? Empty coconut husk instead of paper towels/sand/tile?

Post by Stoke Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:03 am

In the local reptile and pet shops leopard geckos are kept on sand or shredded coconut husk. I'v read all the bad things about sand, but nothing about coconut husk. If i were to put some in my tank, mist it, and pack it down, would my gecko be in danger?

i just hate the look of paper towels or tiles.

Stoke

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 74

Back to top Go down

coconut husk instead of paper towels/sand/tile? Empty Re: coconut husk instead of paper towels/sand/tile?

Post by James Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:31 am

sand is a very bad choice and so is coconut husk and it can still be accidentally ingested by your leo and cause impactation. and if mist it it will make your tank humid for your leo and cause your leo respiratory problems. paper towels or tiles or an non particle substrate is a must. have you thought of slate tiles that what I use and it looks nice.
James
James
Loyal Member

Status Status : Wants a ferret :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 656

Back to top Go down

coconut husk instead of paper towels/sand/tile? Empty Re: coconut husk instead of paper towels/sand/tile?

Post by Stoke Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:39 am

i would't leave it wet all the time, only to pack it down. but i guess it could still cause impaction so i'll look to something else.

Stoke

Back to top Go down

Post by James Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:47 am

there is a proper housing guide on the forum somewhere it is full of really useful info it will give you ideas for your viv. still even if you didint wet it all the time it would still create humidity Very Happy
James
James
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:33 am

As James said sand is definitely bad. Any loose substrate is bad as it can cause impaction (no gravel, sand, etc).

Paper towel or tiling is best.

If you are going for a more natural look, leos actually don't live on loose substrate. Here is a thread showing their natural habitat.

And here is a thread on proper housing with substrate ideas.

A member on here, Karagain actually made a pretty cool flooring using styrofoam and groat. You wanna see that, go here and here.
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoke Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:41 pm

Oh i'v read tons on this site already, the housing guide, etc, i'm just not really satisfied with tiles and stuff. i'm going for a certain look i cant put to words.

Stoke

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:43 pm

Well, in all safety, paper towels and "tiles and stuff" are the best things to ensure no accidental impaction. Having a certain look to your tank is cool and you can find tiles of a multitude of colors which can fit this look without having to sacrifice the safety that these substrates provide.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by James Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:58 pm

I suggest going down to a tile store to look at there tiles, ive used old slate roofing tiles (sterilized) and used large stones and vine wood and bog wood as décor and ive achieved what i think to be a nice looking "safe viv" for my leo. Very Happy
James
James
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down