Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using a heat mat on a glass tank?

5 posters

Go down

Using a heat mat on a glass tank? Empty Using a heat mat on a glass tank?

Post by gothicgurrrl Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:10 am

Hey Smile
I need a quick reply to this question Smile
My brother is going to set up my tank with the thermostat and heat mat tomorrow while im at college.. and I need to leave him with instructions. I need to know what to do with a heat mat for a glass tank because I have only ever used one inside a wooden viv. I know it goes underneath.. but i'm unsure about the gap for air and all that. can someone tell me how i need to set it up underneath?

I need the reply quickly.. well by 6:30 tomorrow morning because I need to tell my brother how to do it before I set off to college in the morning Very Happy

thankyouuu everyone
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Using a heat mat on a glass tank? Empty Re: Using a heat mat on a glass tank?

Post by Jordan Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:22 am

If you have a thermostat then your heatmat will be regulated and so it shouldnt overheat the glass.

SO basically, heatmat plugged into thermostat, thermostat plugged into mains, heatmat under tank, bobs your uncle.

Some people believe there should be an airflow as such and so suggest raising the tank a little bit.
BUT (and i confess) i have a tank where the heatmat is just placed under the tank and thats it, and i've had no problems with it... i generally check the heat whenever i clean it out, and it feels fine.
So its up to you whether or not you go 'safe and sensible' , or if you go 'im sure it will be fine'* ... which i shouldn't be encouraging lol.

*which it will be.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:51 pm

Smile okay thanks. I know about everything about thermostats and such.. i just didnt know whether to leave an air gap or not.. but i think i won't leave one Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:50 pm

In my experience with having a wood stove for heat and using a heat mat, it takes quite a bit to light a piece of wood on fire without tinder and all, not saying it's not possible but not very likely. Companies put that on their warnings to cover their butts. My heat mat ha alway just at underneath and been fine. In my opinion if a heat mat cause a fire there is something wrong with it.

BUT, you have to be comfortable with it as well. If you are constantly worrying about it then put a gap!
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:21 am

I have my tank propped up on a couple of thin slats of wood (they're called 1x1 slats here in the US)... then the uth, being a cobra and not self stick, is held up by a couple pieces of plastic styrofoam like this:

Using a heat mat on a glass tank? 361587501445-PEmaA

It is very porous almost like those sponges you put in fish tank filters, but much more still. It is very breatheable and works well to not only hold up my uth firmly but it also breathes being so porous. You can fold up a small kitchen towel or bath towel and put it under the uth to act as an insulator (or to hold it agasint the tank better) if you're afraid of it eventually damaging whatever piece of furniture you're putting it on. Even a cotton towel is porous and will breathe. There are internal sensors in most uth that detect when there is a failure and they should shut down the heat mat... an internal "trip" if you will to prevent the mat from malfunctioning. Then again keep in mind that the most a uth usually puts out is no more than 110*F so even at that not enough to start a fire even with prolonged esposure to flamable material.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mued2001 Thu May 05, 2011 4:46 pm

What is the best wattage for a UTH? I've read elsewhere that the mat should cover at least a third of the length of the tank. The local pet store is selling a 10 in. x 11 in., 8 watt mat; my viv is 36 inches long. The floor is glass covered with vinyl tile. Will this mat give me the desired temps?

P.S. Sorry for the units. The first time I wrote this post, I had the metric conversions in it, but I lost it before I could post it and now I have to go to bed.

mued2001

LGF Points LGF Points : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Thu May 05, 2011 9:48 pm

That size heatmat would be a sufficient size for your viv definitely.
However I don't know much about the wattage, Kel seems to know all that sort of stuff, i think her husband is an electrical engineer or something similar? So im sure she will help.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu May 05, 2011 11:41 pm

It should give the temperatures you need but in a smaller than recommended area. our leo is in a 30 inch long 12 inch wide tank with a 6x11 7 watt cobra uth. How wide is your tank and what brand uth is it? Anything less than a cobra or ultratherm (such as zoomed, exo terra or any off brand) that is designed to operate at a consistant 100 degrees F you should likely bump up to a 12 watt mat.

ps Jordan hubby is a former helicopter mechanic with the marines now working building oil meters for pipelines so he is well versed in hydraulics electrical and plumbing pipe. He might as well be an engineer, he's forever teaching them how to do their job Smile
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by mued2001 Fri May 06, 2011 6:53 am

Funny, my dad is a steamfitter and says the same thing about engineers.

mued2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri May 06, 2011 8:42 am

Ya know? It's like to be an engineer you have to leave your senses behind when you get your degree. only thing they can engine is more excuses for why stuff isn't right.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by mued2001 Fri May 06, 2011 4:06 pm

Hands on experience is a powerful teacher. It's not that they don't know how things should be, it's just that they rarely get their hands dirty enough to discover how things really are.

mued2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down