Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gecko in my house

4 posters

Go down

Gecko in my house Empty Gecko in my house

Post by Zak Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:26 pm

I caught this little guy in my house, and I have a 10 gallon tank with a UTH, and Screen lid, dishes, etc. I was wondering is he or she able to be kept? and what type of gecko is he or she is, and what they would eat. I am thinking crickets, and worms but I am not completely sure.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Zak on Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:41 am; edited 3 times in total

Zak

LGF Points LGF Points : 160

Back to top Go down

Gecko in my house Empty Re: Gecko in my house

Post by mrs looney Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:29 pm

there isnt a picture there that i can see x
mrs looney
mrs looney
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Status Status : failed my driving test today
LGF Points LGF Points : 678

Back to top Go down

Post by Zak Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:31 pm

mrs looney wrote:there isnt a picture there that i can see x
Haha sorry, I posted it now.

Zak

Back to top Go down

Post by mrs looney Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:38 pm

oh my god i dont know lol.... kind of looks like a leopard gecko but with a pointy tail [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .. sorry i dont have a clue what that lizard is im afraid is there anychance you could put a bid eye picture of him up so i can see the top thanks x

mrs looney
mrs looney
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zak Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:46 pm

mrs looney wrote:oh my god i dont know lol.... kind of looks like a leopard gecko but with a pointy tail [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .. sorry i dont have a clue what that lizard is im afraid is there anychance you could put a bid eye picture of him up so i can see the top thanks x

Yeah, I had the same thought hahaha his tail is really pointy, It looks like it had been dropped previously because his tail is different colour.

Zak

Back to top Go down

Post by mrs looney Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:14 am

his tail is really pointy lol bless him x
mrs looney
mrs looney
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:59 am

ok Im still not seeing a picture...
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eszharen Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:07 am

Eszharen
Eszharen

LGF Points LGF Points : 102

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:25 am

thanks Darren. That is a mediterranean (house) gecko, a juvie at that, like my andromeda... yes you can keep them as pets, they do well on pinhead crickets (thats what I feed andromeda), and thier heat requirements are minimal, house temperature with a low wattage infrared on extremely cold days and andromeda has done great... she came up to me in an oil meter to hubby's work from Huston Texas to cold NW Pa. She's done well in the almost year we've had her.

The set up should be like forrest floor but with out the humidity so high, maybe 40-50% humidity at the most, I just mist andromeda every couple days plus leave a dish of water for her. I don't suppliment her tho and just rely on good gutloading of the crickets to do that. They're fast lil boogers, and arborial herps, how'd you ever catch it? My local herp store keeps a few running loose in the store to clean up escaped crickets Smile they can either live in captivity in a viv or just free range in your home if you're not uncomfortable with that. We were going tro release andromeda in the basement for spider detail Smile They do NOT brumate tho so cold temps below say 60*F with out a place to get warm will be their demise. Amdromeda would have 2 furnaces and a lot of heat ducts to warm up on in a basement so she'd be fine but releasing to the wild would kill her.

Pix of my Med Gecko Andromeda..

They are quite small... she has grown a bit but won't get more than 4 inches.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Zak Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:33 am

Thanks kel for all the information, and for pictures of your beautiful Andromeda Smile

Zak

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:37 am

You're welcome Zak... don't expect to see this little one too often if you do put her in a viv, they are very shy and rarely seen in daylight hours. The only times I see andromeda is when I start flipping bark pieces to make sure she's still breathing Very Happy I don't think I've ever seen her out exploring her viv but I know she does cause her litterbox always has new lil poos in it.

Last edited by Kermit on Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Zak Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:41 am

Alright, got it haha I think I am going to put mine in a viv for now.

Zak

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:44 am

I'll take a pic of andromeda's viv later for you to get some ideas if you like. I just moved her from a 20 long into an 18 inch cube with more height.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Zak Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:45 am

Kermit wrote:I'll take a pic of andromeda's viv later for you to get some ideas if you like. I just moved her from a 20 long into an 18 inch cube with more height.
Yeah that would be awesome if you could take some pictures of her viv.

Zak

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:07 am

I'd be happy to. It's no where near as glamorous as my leopard geckos viv tho... just warning you ahead of time Very Happy
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Zak Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:15 pm

That's okay :P

Zak

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:54 am

Ok I got a couple pix of Andromedas tank, but sadly as I was cleaning the doors on her viv SHE JUMPED OUT!!! omg now I have a freakin med gecko running around my room... hopefully she climbs back into her viv and I also put her favorite hide in the last place I saw her but MAN are they FAST... I mean speedy gonzales fast... So here's the pix I got of her viv, and the last pic I got of her before her jail break Sad you can see how much she changed since we first found her till now, they morph a bit in colors and spots as they mature just like leos.

Ok I don't know why it's posting that last one sideways, I edited it in photo bucket and Window media manager and flipped it right and saved it but any time I post it it shows it sideways... sry, thought it was better to see the whole viv, sideways or not.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Zak Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:53 am

Kermit wrote:Ok I got a couple pix of Andromedas tank, but sadly as I was cleaning the doors on her viv SHE JUMPED OUT!!! omg now I have a freakin med gecko running around my room... hopefully she climbs back into her viv and I also put her favorite hide in the last place I saw her but MAN are they FAST... I mean speedy gonzales fast... So here's the pix I got of her viv, and the last pic I got of her before her jail break Sad you can see how much she changed since we first found her till now, they morph a bit in colors and spots as they mature just like leos.

Ok I don't know why it's posting that last one sideways, I edited it in photo bucket and Window media manager and flipped it right and saved it but any time I post it it shows it sideways... sry, thought it was better to see the whole viv, sideways or not.
Omg, I am so sorry to hear she escaped.. I hope she climbs back into her viv! She changed a lot Smile I love the viv and now I have an idea of what to add to mine so thank you so much, and I hope you get her back! Sad

Zak

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:41 am

Thanks Zak I hope she climbs back in too altho we had planned on releasing her into the basement of the house where my rabbitry is for bug control, she is about 2 floors north of where she needs to be Very Happy I hope she can find enough food cause I certainly am not letting crix go for her to hunt... I HATE those things. She was a wild caught Med gecko so I figured she'd be happier in a large space where she could do as she wanted with out thread of dog assault. Note to self... med geckos are HIGHLY JUMPY with no indication they're fixin to jump...

as far as the viv goes... that piece of drift wood in the back right corner was her favorite hiding spot... it's arched and actually is like standing on 3 legs and she would hunker down upside down on the roof inside into a nook that was almost perfect for her body. The piece in the back left corner is a bark round that I was able to peel off a tree branch after soaking it for a couple days, and the substrait is shredded mulch and moss mix (more mulch than moss), moist but not super moist, just moist enough to keep it from being dusty. There is also a piece of upright driftwood in the corner that was more for keeping the crickets entertained. She didn't use it much that I noticed. I never saw her on the branches either. Under that piece of bark going from her litterbox on the left to her driftwood hide is the kidney bowl with carrot piece and cricket gel so that they don't pester amdromeda. And that big white thing on the left is her litterbox... it was sized to fit the width of a 20 long and I was going to make her a new one but... maybe not needed now Sad It is just filled with reptile safe desert sand (not calci sand). She used it ALL the time... you could se her little footie prints in it always... plus I didn't know how old she was when we found her (didn't know much at all about med geckos before her Smile ) so I wanted to make sure she had a place to lay just in case she had eggs. I know her first night in the viv she went straight for playing in the sand as there were tracks everywhere and little swirl patternd divits.

So that's the viv... glad it has given you an idea to take yours. You can add some rhododendron leaves after they've ried out if you want to add a leafy layer to make it more homey for yours.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Zak Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:53 am

I hope she can find food also, and I am going to start work on my viv today thanks for all the information on the viv, and the things about Andromeda.

Zak

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down