Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

when to house 2 of my female leopards together

5 posters

Go down

when to house 2 of my female leopards together Empty when to house 2 of my female leopards together

Post by kingklick90 Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:14 pm

I have one female she's a little over 40 grams n my other lady is about 28 grams the tank is a 20 gal long ne thing would help thanx
kingklick90
kingklick90

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 78

Back to top Go down

when to house 2 of my female leopards together Empty Re: when to house 2 of my female leopards together

Post by smsararas2 Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:25 pm

There are many things to consider before housing any of your leopard geckos together. First and foremost, it is a risk housing leopard geckos together, even two females. There are many things that they might fight over such as dominance, food, good belly heat spot. The fights could lead to tail damage, tail loss or even death. Now, if you are prepared to take those risks, I will tell you how to house tehm together.

First off, you would need four hides, 2 warm hides, and 2 cool hides. Two water dishes, two food dishes. Well, really you need to double everything that you have so that if they do not get along they can separate themselves.

They should be the same size as each other pretty much gram for gram because the bigger one will dominate and the younger one could possible be left with no food and such,.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

when to house 2 of my female leopards together Empty Re: when to house 2 of my female leopards together

Post by Mardy Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:06 am

To add to the above great advice, it helps to wash and rearrange everything in the tank before introducing a new gecko. Reason being that the gecko you have in the 20 gallon would have already established her territory, her scent & smell, and she may be too territorial about her home.

Also remember to quarantine for at least 30-60 days. If you just got a new leopard gecko, you need to keep them separate for 30-60 days to observe and make sure the new gecko isn't ill. You don't want a new disease or parasite to kill all your geckos.

Lastly remember not all leopard geckos get along. You just may find a feisty female that won't like to play nice. There isn't a whole lot you can do if you have one of those females. Just remember, there's no such thing as geckos "getting used to each other". If you see aggression, bullying, or one of the geckos shying away from another as if she's scared, then separate them right away. You can't force it. If they fought the first couple of nights together, they'll most likely fight until one is injured or dead.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:48 am

Great advice so far guys thumbs up all I'd like to add is that since the tank you're already using is a 20 long you could always make a plexi glass divider for the tank so each has their own side, it'll give you a good idea how they might get along together with out putting either at risk straight away until they are both similar in size.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CharliesReptiles Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:42 am

I wouldn't suggest trying to house them with a weight difference like this. If you are going to try and house two females together they should be near each others weight and size and age. But there is many things to take into thought. Its generally better housing them separate, they don't live together in the wild, and only come into contact during breeding or fighting for their grounds. Housing them on their own, you can see who is eating and how much, there is no chance of fighting, and if you get a disease or problem, there is lower chance of passing it from leo to leo, and you know which one has a problem.

When they are up to around the same weight to add, make sure you add them into a new surround. If that's into a whole new setup or taking the original one out and completely washing the viv down and everything in it,to get ride of smells. You should also have a spare setup ready in case there are any problems. Not all females like the company of another leo, weather that's the same sex or opposite.

Also make sure the viv is big enough for two leos,and make sure there is plenty of hiding places and I have personally noticed two food bowls lowers the risk of a punch up happening.
CharliesReptiles
CharliesReptiles
Loyal Member

Status Status : Crestie coming tonight :) x
LGF Points LGF Points : 1439

http://www.charliesreptiles.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down