Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What kind of vitamin??

5 posters

Go down

What kind of vitamin?? Empty What kind of vitamin??

Post by tduke16 Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:00 am

I am going to petsmart today and i was wondering if i need vitamins for my gecko? I have repti calcium with d3 and a container of it without d3.. I have a bottle cap of the without d3 in his tank..

I was wondering if they also need another kind of vitamin and how do i give it to them if so?

Last but not least, what do i dust the cricket with and how often?

tduke16

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 145

Back to top Go down

What kind of vitamin?? Empty Re: What kind of vitamin??

Post by Kermit Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:56 am

I would suggest an all in 1 suppliment like repashy calciumplus icb or T-rex brand complete leopard dust icb by sandfire foods. It is your calcium D3 and multi vit allin 1. no confusing dusting schedules, no need to keep an extra dish of calcium in the viv, just dust every feeding or every other feeding depending on the age and condition of your animal. It may sound like a lot of supplimenting every other feeding but once you consider some leos will brumate in the cold months or only eat twice a week when mature it really isn't bad.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tduke16 Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:30 am

Okay so i can take out the calcium i have in a bottle cap in the viv? and i think im going to get the t-rex brand.. and I give my leo 3 crickets every feeding.. so just dust them every other feeding ? he's in good health and active so im guessing everyother..

tduke16

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:10 am

If you're going with the T-Rex complete leopard dust icb then yes you do not need to leave additional calcium in your viv and if your leo is older than 6 months old and healthy then you can dust every other feeding. 3 crickets per meal sounds a little lean for an adult or sub adult leo tho... does your leo offer to stop eating after 3 or is that what you limit them to?
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by tduke16 Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:27 am

Im not sure of the age of my leo.. This is his size.. maybe you could tell me how old you think he is..
What kind of vitamin?? Tunechi

I stop feeding it after 3..i believe it could eat more.. Im not sure how many i should fee him i feed him everyday..

Note ive only had him a week..soo ive not gotten used to its habits of eating.

I appreciate the help thank you!!!!! Smile

tduke16

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:12 pm

I'm not great at ages but he looks around 4 maybe 5 months at most. Feeding 3 crix every day isn't bad but you might want to do a trial feeding where you just keep going until he refuses any more just to get an idea wat his maximum feeding potential is. They generally say to let juvies eat all they want wth in reason. Obviously you don't want your leo so gorged the regurgitate. Have you tried any other feeders besides crix yet? You might want to introduce meal or super worms before too long so your leo gets use to a varied diet, plus the threat of accidentally those jamacia field cricket was scary enough for me to pretty much cut them out of my leos diet in lieu of a varied worm diet.

You're welcome happy to help Smile
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by tduke16 Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:59 am

I fed him six crickets yesterday he ate them all. Smile Ive tried mealworms.. but he shows no interest in then Sad I have a whole 50 count sitting in the fridge..

tduke16

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:11 am

Wow 6 crickets... that's great... what size? pin heads, or regular size? Did he stop on his own or did you stop him? Those young 'uns can pack away some food. Don't be surprised if he refuses to eat or only eats 1 or 2 tonight.

With the mealworms take them out a good 48 hours before you plan on feeding them, gut load them really well with fresh veggies then drop them in front of him rather than feed out of a dish... don't dust them at first, it could put him off if he's not a big fan of the suppliments... but it's the activity of the cricket that gets his attention... a slow mealworm will be less appealing esp. if he is full of crickets so maybe fast him for a day first before trying the dropped in mealies if you'd really like to switch him over. My leo has been on superworms since he was 4 months old... they also come in a variety of size, don't need refrigerated like mealies do, don't morph (altho most leos love mealie aliens Wink ), and will grow as long as you feed them so they can grow as your leo does to adapt to his adjusting feeding requirements. Better nutritionally and more active than mealies as well... but lets get you thru this first batch of mealies first... worse comes to worse... birds and bass love mealies Wink
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by CharliesReptiles Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:21 am

I have a pot of pure calcium (Linestone powered) in their vivarium at all times. And dust their food once (if adult) twice (if babies) with a calcium with D3 within it. leopard geckos can OD on d3
CharliesReptiles
CharliesReptiles
Loyal Member

Status Status : Crestie coming tonight :) x
LGF Points LGF Points : 1439

http://www.charliesreptiles.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:35 am

You don't mention Charlie if you're also using a multi vitimin, which is recommended... if you do what is your dusting schedule with that in case Duke decides to go with seperate suppliments.

Also just a side note hypervitaminosis (or over dosing) IS possible with any suppliment, not just D3 but it is highly unusual for this to happen.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by CharliesReptiles Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:13 am

What do you mean by multi vitamin ?

As stated I use a Pure calcium within their setup at all times. This allows them to lick it when it suits them. This is needed to help egg development and to keep bones strong.

And a calcium mixed with D3 (Like nutrobal) and dust on their food items offered. I dust once a week for my adults, and twice a week for my hatchlings/younger geckos. I put some of this D3 mixed with calcium into a bowl and just grab the locusts on the tongue and rolls it within that power Smile
CharliesReptiles
CharliesReptiles
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tduke16 Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:42 am

Okay..soo im kind of confused... so if i use one of the multi vitamins Kermit said I do or do not need a calcium in the viv the leo? and if i do should it be with d3 or without?

tduke16

Back to top Go down

Post by CharliesReptiles Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:25 am

The one you put on their food should contain D3 the one you keep within their vivarium should not contain D3
CharliesReptiles
CharliesReptiles
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:10 am

CharliesReptiles wrote:What do you mean by multi vitamin ?

He means a multi-vitamin supplement for dusting purposes. If you only dust with calcium, your geckos could run into deficiencies with other vitamins and possibly protein depending on what you feed your geckos. So a lot of people dust with things like Repashy Foods Calcium Plus, Zoo Med's Reptivite, or Rep-Cal's Herptivite. These multi-vitamin supplements are important because most of the feeders we feed to our geckos are not nutritious enough, and just dusting with calcium isn't enough for their body needs.

And as for using Repashy Foods Calcium Plus, it's an all-in-one supplement that includes calcium, vitamins, protein, D3, and various other goodies. So if you use Repashy Foods Calcium Plus, you probably don't need to leave calcium without D3 in a dish/bottle cap inside the tank. But if you are breeding, it probably is a good idea to still do it anyway.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:44 am

Exactly Mardy... ALL herps should be on a calcium with D3 suppliment AND a multi vitamin as well. so that would be 2 or 3 seperate suppliments (if you include plain calcium, calcium with D3 and the milti vit) or an all in 1 suppliment as previously mentioned.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:48 am

tduke16 wrote:Okay..soo im kind of confused... so if i use one of the multi vitamins Kermit said I do or do not need a calcium in the viv the leo? and if i do should it be with d3 or without?

Sorry for the confusion Duke.... this is why I always suggest an all in 1 suppliment... it eliminates ALL confusion... all in 1 suppliments ie EVERYTHING you need properly balanced for your specific herp.. The repashy calcium plus ICB or the T-Rex complete leopard gecko dust icb by sandfire foods ARE complete all in 1 suppliments, nothing else is needed, no calcium dish in the viv is needed as long as you don't have a laying female or an emaciated leo. Just follow the every other feeding dusting schedule for leos over 6 months old and you will be fine. Leos under 6 months or in ill health should be dusted every feeding.

Hope that clears this up for you hon.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by theodora Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:09 am

Hello
Can you guys tell me if you know anything about this one:
Komodo Calcium Vitamin Extra D3 Supplement 105g

It's the only one I have access to right now.
Anybody has any impressions of it?
theodora
theodora

LGF Points LGF Points : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down