Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Giant Mealworms"...holy...

2 posters

Go down

"Giant Mealworms"...holy... Empty "Giant Mealworms"...holy...

Post by Tsuhei Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:56 pm

Today, I was at work and I realized that I didn't have time to pick up more food for my leo until Tuesday afternoon. Since I was out of my 50 count small mealworms from the reptile shop I purchased him at, I had to resort to going to Petsmart near my work and pick up a new batch.

At first, I asked for the medium mealworms. I took a look at them and noticed they were smaller than the ones that I purchased before and many of them were dead. Yuck. And they weren't very thick. So I asked if they had a little thicker ones and they came out with the giant mealworms. I didn't look at them until I got home...holy cow...

"Giant Mealworms"...holy... Imag0584c

The bowl is approximately 3.5 inches in diameter. The smaller mealworms were what was left of my 50 count small mealworm container...left overnight to see if he'd eat them (which he didn't...one also perished so he was only able to eat 3, 1 being a mini mealworm). Since he was still hungry...I gave him two of these honking huge things.

First...is this mealworm size okay for my little guy? He's still about the same size as the video I posted of him before. He ate them without struggle...and I tried to judge by what I was told (no bigger than the space between his eyes), but I ran into a wall: The space between his eyes UNDER the skin or the space between his eyes from pupil to pupil? Pupil to pupil, he's definitely in the clear for the correct size. From socket to socket...he's cutting it close with these huge mealies...but it appears that they kind of fit the same criteria.

Also...he ate 2 small mealworms, 1 micro mealworm, and 2 of these "giant" mealworms. Is that too much? Usually he wolfs down 7-9 small mealworms. He usually shows no interest in eating after that point...which he was satisfied after eating what I just mentioned...but I'm not sure. Still worried. Neutral

EDIT: Here's size comparison with giant mealworms/leo to an American quarter.

"Giant Mealworms"...holy... Imag0585j

"Giant Mealworms"...holy... Imag0586r
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Status Status : His name is Typhon!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1733

Back to top Go down

"Giant Mealworms"...holy... Empty Re: "Giant Mealworms"...holy...

Post by legacy Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:03 pm

Cerra,

I think you're fine!!! He/ she took down 2 with no issues right? They have those huge heads and mouths for a reason!! I would watch and make sure there are no issues while feeding these. You should obviously lower the number of worms until you get back to the worms youre used to. Huge meals can cause a Leo to regurge but if you keep the numbers low and your heat is right you and your gecko will be just fine!!

As far as the space between the eyes thing.....its not that exact. The idea with that is if they eat the worm sideways it won't get lodged and block the airway. Most healthy leos can take down prey items the size of their head with no issues. Good luck

Patrick
legacy
legacy

Status Status : just trying to make some orange lizards!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 90

Back to top Go down