Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mealworms

3 posters

Go down

Mealworms Empty Mealworms

Post by Ruthie-Martin Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:24 am

I just bought a juvenile Leopard Gecko the other day and it is doing good eating-wise. I have been feeding it crickets but it doesnt seem interested in mealworms. Can I leave the mealworms in the foodbowl for more than 20 minutes, if so then how long before they start to turn into beatles?
Ruthie-Martin
Ruthie-Martin

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 11

Back to top Go down

Mealworms Empty Re: Mealworms

Post by Mystic Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:22 am

hello and welcome to the forum. meal worms turn into pupa's before they turn into Beetles, and then it takes about 2 weeks for them to change into the beetle. so as long as they cant get out and you keep a little bit of food in there with them they should be able to stay in there for a couple days. usually the reason leo's like crickets is because they move so much, i have found that leo's love it when their food moves its what drives them to eat it for some reason, at least in my experience. some times if you drop a mealworm in front of the leo and let it try and run away they seem to like to eat them more, but some times they just let it go because they are full or just don't think its worth it lol. also when i first got my baby leopard gecko she liked it when they wiggled a lot, i hand fed her so to get them to wiggle i would pinch their tail end , not very hard but enough to make them wiggle. she seemed to like that. hope this helps!
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruthie-Martin Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:05 pm

thank you this helped me a lot. also i was wondering what is the proper way to care for mealworms so they will be nutritious for my gecko?
Ruthie-Martin
Ruthie-Martin

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:03 pm

well you get a small tub container about 3 inches high, one that they cant crawl out of, (you don't want a lid unless you can put a good amount of air holes in it or put some screening on top) then you go to your local store by some original oatmeal and poor it into the little tub container filling it about a inch or 2 depending on the height of your container, then you get some organic carrots (so that there isn't pesticides on them, if you cant find any just make sure to wash the carrots really well, oh and i buy the baby carrots its just easier lol ) and get some gold fish flakes. you grind up the fish flakes with your fingers a little bit and place the flakes on top of the oatmeal and then place the carrots on top of all of it.
change the carrots out every 2 or 3 days so that they don't get moldy and that's about it. here is a thread that will help you out on the care of them. ^_^
http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t1079-care-and-breeding-of-feeders
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruthie-Martin Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:39 am

thanks this helped a lot :]
Ruthie-Martin