Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most natural substrate

4 posters

Go down

Most natural substrate Empty Most natural substrate

Post by WixNotxProduct Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:55 am

Ok so I just wanted to know what's the most natural kind of substrate. Some people say calcium sand was good and is ok but others say it can cause impaction. Any thoughts or other ideas?

WixNotxProduct

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 25

Back to top Go down

Most natural substrate Empty Re: Most natural substrate

Post by jimmyd10 Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:58 am

Vinyl tile is good because it is easy to apply and very natural looking. Also reptile chips would work.
jimmyd10
jimmyd10

Status Status : thinking of expanding my kingdom
LGF Points LGF Points : 351

Back to top Go down

Post by CharliesReptiles Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:03 am

Leopard geckos don't have sand on their natural habitat, its more like rocky hard clay with a fine sand overcoat.

In captivity sand isn't great, and can cause impaction. All sand is dangerous, but cacli sand is worst, it causes them to think its calcium and start to eat it.

There is lose substrate that has a lower risk than sand, but still able to cause impaction. Which is the following: Bark chips - Please go for the bigger pieces. And Reptile carpet - Not a risk of impaction but can cause damage to their claws

Kitchen towel is the safest type of lose substrate causing a very low risk. It can still cause impaction, but I've kept all my leos, adults to babies on it for their whole life without problems. Hatchings up to the age of 6months should be kept on kitchen roll any ways.

No risk factors are lino. You can go for a natural dusty colour or a bright pink and black colour if you wanted. This simple stick to the bottom of your setup and can be brought from B*Q for around £5.00 which has 6 squares within it Smile
CharliesReptiles
CharliesReptiles
Loyal Member

Status Status : Crestie coming tonight :) x
LGF Points LGF Points : 1439

http://www.charliesreptiles.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:34 am

Hi there wixnotx welcome to the forum. If yu have questions about suitable housing and substrait for your leo I'd like to recommend you check out our sticky in the housing section "proper housing for a leopard gecko" http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t166-proper-housing-for-leopard-geckos itr will go over all the different aspects of setting up the perfect environment for your leo thumbs up
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down