Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feeding suggestions please?

3 posters

Go down

Feeding suggestions please? Empty Feeding suggestions please?

Post by kathstew Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:01 am

So I've decided I don't want to feed Miracle crickets anymore as 1.that article Kermit posted scared me O_O 2. I don't want her getting any diseases from them, no matter how hard I try to keep that stupid cricket keeper clean 3. They keep dieing and I don't know why, which worries me that they're diseased

Anyway, I tried feeding her superworms, and she won't eat them! I tried "stunning" them as it said to in the sticky, but it didn't really work. She tried eating one once, but I think it pinched her as she dropped it suddenly and since then won't eat them, only licks them a few times.

What could I feed her instead? She likes mealworms, and waxworms. I can get butterworms as well from a local pet store. Should I just try a rotation of these three insects?

Any suggestions?
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Feeding suggestions please? Empty Re: Feeding suggestions please?

Post by smsararas2 Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:58 am

Those feeders are just fine, and I am sure that you know that the wax worms and butter worms are more for treats. You can feed her just on meal worms and maybe give her some time on the super worms. I find they take some getting used to and I will give it a try and if they don't take to them I give it a couple weeks and try again. It works out in the end being much easier in my opinion to feed super worms. It takes a lot less of them to fill them up. It is not a neccessity thought to get them on to supers, just my personal opinion. Wink
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:51 am

Don't give up that easily.. just keep trying with the superworms. When I first brought home banana, all she would eat was crickets.. and when I decided superworms were the best and safest option for me she wasn't having any of it. but I kept trying and trying.. and didn't give her anything else until she ate at least one Smile .. and it worked Very Happy

gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:41 pm

Thanks guys, its reassuring to hear that its not uncommon for the geckos to dislike them at first.
And don't worry, I know that butterworms and waxworms are for treats only.
(To show the stupidity of petstore employees: I went to the store to buy the superworms, and the employee guy asked what it was for. When I said leos, he said that I should use them ONLY as treats once and a while, because the hard shells can block them up. He then recommended that butterworms can be used as a staple diet.)
ANYWAY, after ignoring the insight of that guy, I left :P Probably won't be buying stuff from there again!
I will keep at it with the superworms, but feed her mealworms as a staple diet from now on!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:07 pm

HAHAHA...good for you!!
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down