Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Eros look bloated...

+4
smsararas2
Jordan
Hexclover
Kermit
8 posters

Go down

Does Eros look bloated...  Empty Does Eros look bloated...

Post by Kermit Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:56 pm

... or is it just me not use to seeing him in his big boy pants Smile Eros just turned 1 in March so is in his adulthood. This is his first season with me coming out of brumation (I got him last October in the cold months, he started brumation around December, he was 7 mos old.), he has slowed his eating from what he was eating prior to brumation (he was chugging 3-4 morioworms per feeding 3x a week at 7 mos. old, then into brumation he was eating 1-2 morioworms 3x a week), but I'm chalking that up to being an adult and not needing as much food to grow as he did as a sub adult. Now he eats 2-3 supers 2-3x a week. His poos arer all normal and regular in frequency. I was just curious if he looked bloated or normal or chubby or what...

Pardon my thigh Embarassed

Does Eros look bloated...  2011-06-20202842

He's watching Casper on TV while I talk to Scott about what a lard he has become Very Happy (Eros that is becoming a lard not Scott)

Does Eros look bloated...  2011-06-20202815

Sitting on his favorite fleecy pillow. That pillow really makes his colors pop.

Does Eros look bloated...  2011-06-20203930

So his belly and tail look out of perportion or are they equally plump and suit his frame?

Does Eros look bloated...  2011-06-20203807-1

I'm gonna call the vet in the morning to find out about fecal testing just in case but I think Eros is fine, just curious as I want to make sure my boy has grown into a proper young man Wink If it helps at all he is a bold mack snow het Bell het patternless. Daddy was a Texas giant (According to my breeder Adam at Gecko Euphoria), momma a bell albino, if any of those have a less than traditional body style if anyone knows...

Last edited by Kermit on Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Does Eros look bloated...  Empty Re: Does Eros look bloated...

Post by Hexclover Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:09 pm

im not sure about the bloating, but in that 3rd pic it looks like hes going for that beer (or soda) that is on the counter lol. laughing
Hexclover
Hexclover

LGF Points LGF Points : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Yeah that's a diet coke in hubbys cooler on the coffee table Very Happy When I showed that one to Scott on my phone I said "Imma commin to get yer soda" Very Happy
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi Kel, if you want to take a second to fill out our health questionnaire... laughing

No but seriously from what i see he looks great and healthy. Just a little chubmonster at the moment.

- When they have put on a lot of fat outside the tail it is very often around that area, rather than the whole body, so it would create the impression of balooning out around the bottom of the body.
- Also, it could be from a big meal, or even just a normal size meal added on to a previous meal which he hadn't finished digesting.
- It could come out in a big poop tomorrow, or it could be actual fat or muscle.

If your interested in checking further to see if he is bloated, its the bottom of the tummy which will tighten up and baloon mostly.
Gently pick him up and let him stand in the palm of your hand naturally, so you can slide two fingers under to feel his belly, it shouldn't feel tight or very rounded.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:06 pm

He looks good Kel. I have two adults that look like that because they enjoy their hunting, I will put it. And I agree with Jordan, they don't tend to get wide when bloated their belly will sag down and then they will look like they are having a hard time with their legs reaching the floor. Keep up the good work with him.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:25 am

Thanks guys... I didn't think there was a problem really... I just wanted to get a second opinion Very Happy Guess it's just his big boy pants Very Happy He doesn't eat a whole lot but then again he doesn't get a very varied diet... time to start switching it up as he's getting bored with supers Smile He only eats 1-3 (usually 2) per feeding 2-3x a week so unless digestion slows down after they reach maturity he certainly isn't over eating.

Jordan if I was asking for any more than an opinion on whether or not he looked bloated I deff. would have filled out the care questionaire Wink
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesah Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:24 pm

As a person that had an impacted gecko... feeling their tummy you will definitely be able to feel a hardness.

He does look normal in most photos, don't think you have anything to worry about unless he stops pooping/eating or losing weight
Leesah
Leesah

LGF Points LGF Points : 135

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:24 am

Had Eros just ate a big meal? Toothless usually looks like that when he puts away 5 crickets.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:50 am

Nope he hadn't eaten for like 4 days before I took that picture. He also didn't eat monday night (his usual feeding day) or tuesday night (last night). Time to get some waxies and see if its food boredome... Also I looked in his litterbox and he had a couple small stools and a couple normal sized poos so also time fo a good soak and some mineral oil drops to help pass things along in case he is constipated...
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:12 am

Kel.. don't worry about eros size.. he is looking healthy Very Happy

He is almost the same as banana.. she's probably around that size Very Happy and the exotics vet said she was perfectly healthy when I took her Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:59 am

Thanks Sarah... wasn't too worried was more just curious.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:31 pm

Kel, you mentioned mineral oil. Hv you used this before and has it worked? I just want to know that its safe cos last night I read a post on a chameleon forum that I belong to where a guy had painstakingly restored and converted a piece of furniture into a stunning enclosure for a veiled chameleon, then took the cham to the animal clinic as it had not eaten for a couple of days and they gave it mineral oil which killed the poor thing! I felt so sorry for the owner and the cham of course. Is mineral oil safe for certain reptiles and not for others?
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:40 am

Mineral oil is a laxative ued for people as well as other animals. It is very safe to use IF you use it properly just like any other meds. What likely killed the cham was whatever was causing him to not eat in the first place. it gets a bit aggravating/upsetting to see some one say "I took my herp to the vet he gave it meds and it killed my herp", well no... chances are whatever you took your herp to the vet for likely killed your herp, and the meds came too late to do any good. Unless your friend with the cham had the vet do a necropsy it will not be known what killed it but HIGHLY unlikely is was the mineral oil unless the cham had a SEVERE allergic reaction which again is highly unlikely but not impossible. All kinds of animals can be allergic to all kinds of things. OR your friend gave it WAAAAY too much mineral oil or somehow got it in the chams nostrils then subsequently into it's lungs which would cause pnumonia (fluid in the lungs) like reactions. All you use when using mineral oil as a laxitive is just a couple dabs licked off their nose. Chams are HIGHLY sensitive herps and you're usually lucky if one makes it 5 years in captivity from my understanding of their delicate nature. I wonder if you and I belong to the same cham forum. I use the handle ChamFan in mine.

Last edited by Kermit on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:58 am

Yeah, I have also used mineral oil successfully with one of mine. Along with warm soaks.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Ok, I get it and that makes sense. Obviously there are two sides to every story and then there's the truth. I don't know all the finer details but I just took note of the fact that the vet had given the cham mineral oil, so I was like heck, I must stay away from that stuff!!! Everything in moderation as they say. The forum I belong to is great and very informative (much like this one). It is chameleonforums.com and I use the same handle as this forum, namely joneill. Since I am nearing 40 and my sieve is like a memory, it is way easier just to use the same details for every site.
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down