Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quick question... Really need help

5 posters

Go down

Quick question... Really need help Empty Quick question... Really need help

Post by CrazyIsContagious Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:38 am

Okay, so I'm Blair, nice to meet you all :3
I joined this site because I had a question, I got my first, and only, leopard gecko, Onyx, when I was ten. I was so excited to finally be trusted with an animal, I also have a dog, but my mom mostly takes care of them, so anyways, I'm 19 now and Onyx is still alive, which is amazing. But I went to college and had to leave her at home Sad which is three hours away, I have to live in a dorm my freshman year and couldn't bring her or my dog, I plan to get an apartment next year, but it was required to live in one this year. But back to the point, my mom takes care of Onyx and Echo, my dog, but she said that Onyx is depressed and won't eat, but when I go to visit yes his tail wass smaller, but he eats fine when I'm there. Now many people say that reptiles will only grow to tolerate you, which I don't believe, but can they grow depressed when you leave? Onyx had always loved being handled and mostly didn't like being in her terrarium she would sit with me while I did my homework or watched T.V. she was either laying on my neck or if I were laying down curled on my hip, but she won't let my mom or my dad handle her at all... But yeah, I was wondering what you guys thought of this? And how I should go about it? Or if it was even possible...

CrazyIsContagious

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 17

Back to top Go down

Quick question... Really need help Empty Re: Quick question... Really need help

Post by gothicgurrrl Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:09 am

I am also worried about having to leave my pets (17 of them!) with my mom when I leave home to move almost 4 hours away to university in September.

My leopard geckos are used to their routine and sit at the glass looking for me if I'm an hour or so late on feeding them... so maybe your leopard gecko is just getting used to a new routine, because they probably feed her at a different time, and she's used to being out a lot more. She might settle soon and be back to her old self. I'm not sure, I hope another member will be able to help you more.

Wow 9 years old! Very Happy that's impressive!

Welcome to the forum by the way Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyIsContagious Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:18 pm

No I call them 5 minutes before the time when they have to feed her and keep them on the same schedule, but she still isn't eating I'm so worried about her! I don't know if she's depressed or what as I said she eats when I visit but that's only like every other week... I don't know what else to do, I was the only person to handle her and feed her, but my mom tried to take her out and Onyx hissed at her, didn't bite her or anything but hissed and went into her hide.
Haha yeah, she's middle age (;
I reaserched Leopard Geckos for a year before I actually got one so I'd say she's really well taken care of (;
Where do your leo's lay when you handle them because as I said she ussually laid on my neck or my hip, and my friends think its weird ha.

CrazyIsContagious

Back to top Go down

Post by drxl34 Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:25 pm

she might just be ovulating or about to shed or something? Has she ever done this before?

not to be creepy but what college? I know at drexel you could pretty much get away with any pet in a 10g or smaller tank. I dont want to encourage breaking the rules but you could easily put the guy in a box and take her to your room and then bring a tank up in "disguise" if you have to Smile

i only say this because i myself was in that situation last year.. i have my own apartment now (which is awesome! i now am overloaded with pet love Smile ) but i couldnt bring mine because i had a full grown beardie and a 6ft corn snake both in 40g+ tanks.. i know plenty of people that had small fish tanks though.

just ask around.. it might be good to have your friend with you and leopard geckos are luckily easy to take care of in a dorm so long as theres a petsmart close to get mealies (or you breed your own!)

good luck!!!
drxl34
drxl34

LGF Points LGF Points : 152

Back to top Go down

Post by drxl34 Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:27 pm

gothicgurrrl wrote:I am also worried about having to leave my pets (17 of them!) with my mom when I leave home to move almost 4 hours away to university in September.

My leopard geckos are used to their routine and sit at the glass looking for me if I'm an hour or so late on feeding them... so maybe your leopard gecko is just getting used to a new routine, because they probably feed her at a different time, and she's used to being out a lot more. She might settle soon and be back to her old self. I'm not sure, I hope another member will be able to help you more.

Wow 9 years old! Very Happy that's impressive!

Welcome to the forum by the way Very Happy

17 pets??? what do you have??? i thought my 9 herps and 2 fishtanks were alot 0.o

EDIT: and one dog.. forgot about my puppy ;P
drxl34
drxl34

LGF Points LGF Points : 152

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyIsContagious Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:16 am

drxl34 wrote:she might just be ovulating or about to shed or something? Has she ever done this before?

No, she's never done this before ever... Which is why I'm so worried
And she's completely tame, she lets my 2 year old neice hold her when she visits so I really don't get why she hissed at my mom

Haha the disguise thing my roomate would freak >.<

I've asked around, and they only allow 10 gallon tanks with fish in them, and Onyx is in a 30 gallon one anyways, I felt bad! It looked like she had no room so I got her a bigger one when she was an adult.

CrazyIsContagious

Back to top Go down

Post by geckochick89 Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:33 am

You could easily keep her in a sweater bin if push came to shove. Sure its nice if you can provide lots of extra space, but in this instance, if she seriously needs to be with you, a rubbermaid/sterilite 15-32qt tub would be enough to keep the basics in.
geckochick89
geckochick89

Status Status : 25 leos and counting...
LGF Points LGF Points : 212

http://iherp.com/cmor1031

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyIsContagious Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:41 am

Yeah, I'm moving her up with me this weekend, I talked to my dorm advisor and she said that it'd be fine, just to make sure it's locked when I'm not there my mom sent me a picture and she's gotton so skinny! I bawled, and she's getting more aggressive with my mom :/
Can anyone explain this behavior though?

CrazyIsContagious

Back to top Go down

Post by geckochick89 Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:51 pm

Its possibly that she just doesnt like your mom, or maybe the way she interacts with her. Hopefully she isnt sick, good luck
geckochick89
geckochick89

Status Status : 25 leos and counting...
LGF Points LGF Points : 212

http://iherp.com/cmor1031

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyIsContagious Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:48 am

Got my baby with me, she's eating fine, and back to her normal self Smile

CrazyIsContagious

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:19 am

Clap
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down