Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Leo Owner Here

2 posters

Go down

New Leo Owner Here Empty New Leo Owner Here

Post by EquinoxBlack Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:31 am

I was doing some research on some feeding do's and dont's after my wife picked up some crickets for our new little friend and the shop owner freaked her out with tales of meal worms killing leos if you don't remove the heads. In the process I stumbled across this site and decided to register.

Let me introduce you to Scatters. He/she, was only a couple of weeks old when we got him/her, and we've had him/her for about 3 weeks.

Scatters is an active little lizard with a very high predatory drive (Abandon all hope, any crickets or meal worms who enter here.)

I've owned other lizards in the past (anoles, bearded), but never a leo. We got Scatters for my son, but everyone in the house knows he's really mine lol.

That's about it for now.

EquinoxBlack
EquinoxBlack

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 8

Back to top Go down

New Leo Owner Here Empty Re: New Leo Owner Here

Post by ThyUnholy Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:43 am

Mealworms cannot kill leopard geckos. There apparently has been a myth for years saying they could burrow their way out of their bellies. I feed my leopard gecko on a staple of mealworms with supplements.

Besides, if you cut off their heads I don't even think most leos would try to eat them because they wouldn't be moving.

The only thing I would recommend is not leave any feeders in the tank with your leo when you are not around unless it's a "worm" and it is in a dish it cannot climb out of. Never leave crickets alone in the tank with your leo because they can bite him. Just precautions so if any feeders were to actually "attack" a leopard gecko.
ThyUnholy
ThyUnholy
Loyal Member

Status Status : Gecko has some good colors coming in.
LGF Points LGF Points : 345

Back to top Go down

Post by EquinoxBlack Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:56 am

Yeah, I googled for about 15 minutes and came to the same conclusion.
He will take food from my fingers though if I hold it for him so I wasn't to worried about killing the worms first. I'm just glad I don't have to because it really seems to stimulate his predatory drive which is a blast to watch.

When I feed him/her, I put a small bit of food for the crickets to munch so they leave Scatters alone, even though I've seen one cricket go into the hide while he was "sleeping" and the next thing I knew was that the cricket was gone, finished, RIP.
This is only temp though until I can lock down his appetite and feeding schedule.
EquinoxBlack
EquinoxBlack

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by ThyUnholy Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:05 am

Well, welcome to the forums. Feel free to ask any questions and someone will get to you.
ThyUnholy
ThyUnholy
Loyal Member

Status Status : Gecko has some good colors coming in.
LGF Points LGF Points : 345

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down