Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Male vs Female

2 posters

Go down

Male vs Female  Empty Male vs Female

Post by danibug23 Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:32 am

i know i want a leopard gecko for sure its just which one?? i have chameleons and i know about the whole egg laying thing without mating with a male. do female leopard geckos lay eggs without a mate??? and also how much difference is there to taking care of one? because i know with a chameleon its a total pain!

danibug23

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 26

Back to top Go down

Male vs Female  Empty Re: Male vs Female

Post by Kermit Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:45 am

Yes females can and will lay with out being bred. They require a more rigerous supplimentation program because of the egg laying process, they can go off food for extended periods thru ovulaton and egg laying and their habitat requires some special arrangements to accommodate them laying. Aside of that the care is pretty similar. Sometimes unfertilized eggs will be reabsorbed, sometimes laid... its all depending on the individual and their environment.

For first time owners of leos I always recommend males. Much more reliable eaters, usually only go off food for sheds, but some don't miss a beat regardless, not as likely to brumate, but they can and do, but overall just a lot less worries overall. There really is no difference in tempeament between the sexes imo, that all depends on the morph and individual leo. The giants and super giants are reported to have the most mellow temperaments, but again a lot depends on the individual animal.

Leos are no where near as complex as keeping chams tho, they are a lot more forgiving and a ton easier to care for. Check out the thread in the housing section sticky titled how to make the perfect leo set up, that'll show you just how easy they are to care for.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down