Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MBD

3 posters

Go down

MBD Empty MBD

Post by LeopardGex Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:59 am

Ok, so i've heard that MBD stands for Morbid Bone Dissease but that doesnt make sence i dont think. Anyway it is a lack of Calcium in their bones correct? It can only happen to leo's or other reptiles too? Another thing is if my gecko lickes calcium and i ust every other time will my geckos be fine? The post about the craigslist rescue brought this too my attention.

Last edited by Kermit on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : all those symbols in your title mess with the forum search function)
LeopardGex
LeopardGex
Loyal Member

Status Status : Xbox Gamertag: Sleet Yargg
LGF Points LGF Points : 666

Back to top Go down

MBD Empty Re: MBD

Post by Mardy Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD), caused primarily by calcium deficiency, but there are other causes often related to improper husbandry. MBD is a disease that can happen to all reptiles.

It's caused by improper calcium to phosphorous ratio. So what the body does when it has a low level of calcium, is to compensate it by taking calcium from other parts of the bodies, like bones.

Simply giving calcium isn't enough, you also need to provide vitamin D to allow the body to metabolize calcium. That's why you need to dust your feeders with an all-in-one multivitamin supplement (like repashy calcium plus) at least 2-3x a week.

MBD can also be caused by liver/kidney disease, because it'll impair conversion of vitamin D. There are many other things that could lead to MBD.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LeopardGex Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:14 pm

I totally use Repashy Calcium plus containing vitamin D!!! Thanks for letting me knoe, because all these days i've been thinking morbid not metobolic lol i fail. Anway how can improper husbandry cause MBD?
LeopardGex
LeopardGex
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Cooler temperatures will impair them from digesting food properly, thus making them unable to absorb nutrients properly. Happens often to people that purchased basking lamps for their leopard geckos and never once tested the floor temperature (which we all know the hot spot should hit 90-95 degrees Fahrenheit).
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LeopardGex Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:20 pm

Yes under my warm hide hits that temp. It is a heavy heat holding type so it is perfect although i did'nt buy a mat for heat because the floor was the right temp is that ok?
LeopardGex
LeopardGex
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:14 pm

No you should absolutely have a heat mat because leos are thigmatherms, which means they get their heat from objects that they lay on that have been heated, unlike heliotherms like bearded dragons that get their heat by absorbing heat from overhead. You can't treat a thigmatherm like a heliotherm. It may work for a while but it will eventually bite you in the butt. Here is a great article on mbd http://www.anapsid.org/mbd2.html
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LeopardGex Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:17 pm

Thanks so much for the information i will have to get a mat and the article was amazing.
LeopardGex
LeopardGex
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum