Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's in a Name??

+5
ehenne1
Tsuhei
gothicgurrrl
Marnie
Kermit
9 posters

Go down

What's in a Name??  Empty What's in a Name??

Post by Kermit Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:25 pm

So my leos name is Eros... Eros is the Greek God of love and sexual desire. He was an anniversary present to me from my husband for our 10th wedding anniversary. We got him after I lost my russian tortoise popeye, whom I had had for the first 10 years of our relationship together. My hubby being the optamistic hopeless romantic said, "here... this guy can keep you company for our next 10 years together" little did he know that it'll be more like 20-25 years Smile

So what IS in a name??? I love history and name origin, and seeing as how Eros' name was so appropriate with his duel heart spots on his nose that I figured I'd share the story of Eros the God with y'all. Hope you enjoy.

What's in a Name??  %252525255BUNSET%252525255D-008

Eros (Love) was the son of Aphrodite and Ares who also gave birth to Anteros (Reciprocal or Answering Love), Deimus and Phobus (Terror and Fear), and Harmonia, who later became the wife of Cadmus of Thebes.

(The story of Psyche and Eros legend is continued from Psyche.) The story of Psyche (Soul) and her love for Eros (Love) is contained in the novel Metamorphoses, which was written about the middle of the second century AD, by Apuleius, a Platonist. The story, while making for pleasant reading, has significant philosophical symbolism.

Psyche was the daughter of a king, and she and her two sisters were very beautiful, but Psyche out shown her sisters. Her radiant charms seemed more than human, and people came from far and wide to admire her, and then they began to worship her as if she was a new Aphrodite. Psyche's sister had no difficulty in finding husbands, but Psyche remained in her father's house without suitors. The king despaired of ever finding a husband for her, and he consulted the oracle, which gave a sinister reply. It said to adorn the girl as though for her wedding and lead her in a procession to the mountainside, where she was to be abandoned on top of a rock. There a monster would come for her and take her. Psyche's parents were in despair. Yet they had to obey the decree, which was evidently the will of the gods.

Eros became the invisible husband of Psyche. His mother, Aphrodite, became jealous of Psyche and sought her son to inspire the girl to fall in love with an ugly and miserable man. But, when Eros approached Psyche he saw her beauty and wanted her for his wife. Knowing Psyche was destined to be given to a monster, Eros arranged other plans. Zephyrus, the West Wind, gently carried the girl from atop of a rock where her parents abandoned her to a flowery bank where she fell asleep and woke finding herself in a beautiful garden. In front of her was a palace into which she entered as she was commanded to do by invisible voices. The voices told her to bathe, and then a banquet was set before her to feast upon while other voices sang and instrument played. After the banquet was over she was led to a chamber where she lied on a prepared bed. When the room was completely dark she sensed a presence beside her, she knew it was her husband of whom the oracle had spoken, but he seemed neither monstrous nor as terrible as she had feared even though she could not see him.

As time continued, her husband visited her in the dark of night, each morning he flew away. In the daytime the invisible servants cared for her needs and offered her endless distractions. For a while she was happy, but eventually she began missing her family. Her husband warned her of the danger of her nostalgia, and told her that her sisters whom she wanted to visit her could be fatal to them. But at her insistence Eros finally conceded wanting to please his wife and had Zephyrus bring her two sisters. When her two sisters arrived, upon seeing the wonderful palace that their sister live in, they were bitterly jealous of their sister's happiness. Meanwhile Eros kept warning her that she must never try to see him, nor yield to her curiosity to do so, or their happiness would not last.

The sisters left only to return again. This time they told Psyche that they feared she had married a monster, which was why her husband kept her from seeing him. They told her she must act to defend herself. Their terrible advice to her was that she was to hide a lamp in the room, and when he was asleep she was to kill him with a sharp knife.

The next night she acted upon the monstrous plan. Once lighting the lamp she saw the most beautiful adolescent with two wings of quivering down. When recognizing Eros her hand trembled and a drop of boiling oil from the lamp dropped on him and woke him up. He awoke with a start, immediately realizing he was betrayed, he immediately flew out of reach. "Psyche," he told her, "you wished to see me. You know who I am. Now I must leave you; you will never see me again." Psyche wept and fainted, but her husband was gone.

Psyche decided to search for her husband. But, first she wished to punish her sisters by telling them Eros wished to see them, so they threw themselves from atop of the rock where Zephyrus usually met them and were dashed to pieces in the ravine below. Then she searched the whole world looking for Eros. No deity wished to help her fearing the wrath of Aphrodite. Finally Psyche could do nothing but surrender herself to her enemy. Aphrodite tortured her by placing many difficult tasks on her including that of descending into the underworld to ask Persephone for a small box containing a beautiful ointment. Aphrodite specified that under no circumstances was the box to be opened. But Psyche's curiosity won out, causing her to open the container, and she breathed a vapor of sleep that made her lose consciousness.

However, Eros still loved her, and when seeing her in that magic sleep he flew towards her, and awakened her. Then he flew to Olympus to ask Zeus' permission to marry this mortal; a permission that Zeus willingly gave. Aphrodite and Psyche were reconciled. The child of Eros and Psyche was named Voluptuousness. A.G.H.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sources:
Grimal, Pierre, Larousse World Mythology, Secaucus, New Jersey, Chartwell Books, 1965, p. 173-175

Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

What's in a Name??  Empty Re: What's in a Name??

Post by Marnie Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:31 pm

Whow I actually read all that, I love the Greek gods but we never studied it in school. None of my pets have meaningful names though, Lipsy just came to me in the shop months before I got her. Mario arrived home in a food container with a label on it reading 'morio worms'. Blondie is a rebel and she's yellow so it's kind of suited and Lola is a cute name for a cute little purple fat tail. My next Leo is going to have a meaningful name I've just decided

And I love that he is all to do with you and your husbands anniversary and he happens to have a love heart on his nose it's so fitting
Marnie
Marnie
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 484

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:48 pm

awww what a lovely story Smile
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:23 pm

I love Greek mythology. Great choice for a name, Kel. You have a fantastic husband. Smile
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Status Status : His name is Typhon!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1733

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:53 am

Thanks guys Embarassed he is pretty awesome... and the husband isn't so bad either Razz he puts up with all my pet manias from the dogs to therabbitry, which I'm surprised lately he ahs become really involved with their care... who knows maybe I'll actually get him to a show this season Smile

I love hearing the motivation behind people's pets names. I think it's cool and gives you a bit of insight into that person. Mythology has long been an interest of mine and I knew that I wanted something mythological and love themed for this fella... I love his heart spots too marnie... that one kinda sealed the deal when looking for a leo. That pic was the best one I had that kinda showed off both his heart spots, the one on his lip and the one on top of his nose. He's such a mellow boy... I just love 'em thumbs up 2
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ehenne1 Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:55 am

This is so cute & i love the name with the meaning
ehenne1
ehenne1

Status Status : Loving my new friend :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 52

Back to top Go down

Post by James Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:40 am

I named my Leopard gecko after my close friend Anke as she never fails to make me smile when I meet her Smile
James
James
Loyal Member

Status Status : Wants a ferret :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 656

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:59 am

Thats sweet james Smile
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:47 am

Houdini, my ball python, was a burrower of sorts back when we kept him on aspen. So, my wife insisted we call him Houdini cause he kept disappearing! Smile
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:29 pm

I have over 50 reptiles. I cannot even begin to tell you all the stories but it is true that most of them have a story behind them.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:58 am

Pretty much all my reptiles have a name behind them, but I won't explain them all. I'll explain my first leo, Miracle.
As many of you know, Miracle was a rescue. I was worried she wasn't going to make it, but she pulled through, and I found it a miracle she did. So Miracle stuck :P

Great thread, Kel! It was really interesting reading how Eros got his name. I love it, by the way!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:37 am

Thanks kathryn Smile I remember when you first got miracle and the fight you went thru getting her back on track, seems like forever ago aye? I'm really glad she pulled thru but I know it was because you never gave up on her and educated yourself. Good job and great name thumbs up 2
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down