Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What does this mean?!

3 posters

Go down

What does this mean?! Empty What does this mean?!

Post by Nova Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:28 pm

Okay, I recently-ish got a female SG leopard gecko, named Revel.
She's my first LG but she seems pretty weird... maybe I'm wrong?

First off, if I don't use an overhead lamp, she does not leave her hides. Ever. She just moves back and forth between the cool and warm hide occasionally. Which means she doesn't eat.
So, I got a bulb and turn it on for about 6-8 hours a day, over her warm hide on the left. As soon as I turn on that light, she comes out of her hide and just lays in the middle of her enclosure the ENTIRE time its on. She seems happy, but...WTF? Is she cold? But if she was she'd go into her warm hide with an undertank heater inside it, right? I didn't think basking allll day was normal either. I'm completely new to leopard geckos, IS this normal? Also, I recently read white bulbs stress leos out, so why does mine lay in the open the whole time its on? ..Should I switch to blue?

Thanks for any help,
~A confused Nova

Nova

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 21

Back to top Go down

What does this mean?! Empty Re: What does this mean?!

Post by Kermit Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:38 pm

How are you monitoring your temps on your hot side? It sounds like she's either cold or lacking vit D if the bulb your using is a uv bulb. Your floor temps should be between 88-96*F on your hot side. If your leo is new-ish like less than a month with you she could be settling in still which would account for the lack of activity that you see, but your leo seems to be thermoregulating if she's going between warm and cold side or she could be looking for a warmer warm spot. If you could take a minute and fill out our care questionnaire that will give us a better idea of your husbandry. It is a sticky in the health section, just copy/paste into this thread with your answers.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nova Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:56 pm

With a temp probe. Inside her warm hide is 95.9 on the floor exactly. Maybe she IS lacking vitamin D? She has a bowl with calcium + D3 in it, but she could very well not be eating it and just walking through it. I've had her since mid November and I am still having to force feed her, actually. Should I be more worried? x_x

Nova

LGF Points LGF Points : 21

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:48 pm

Please take the Calcium w/D out of the enclosure. She can overdose, instead replace with plain calcium. I have heard of this occuring if the hide is trapping too much heat. Usually if it's a small hide. She wants to be warm but they can't tolerate the stuffiness. It's best to provide a wider hide or 2 with a few degrees difference so that she has more than one option. I have one gecko that will only stay in the hide which is 92, but never in the hide which is 95. The temperature tolerance vary with each gecko.

Also some are weird and will lay under heat bulbs even with undertank heating, but it's probably too stuffy in the hide. It's definately not need of VITD since she had it in her dish. If her hide is large and not too hot, the problem can be the air temps are too cold. All mine prefer to lay inside the one hide that is located where they have both undertank and heat from above.

Last edited by herp625 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

herp625
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 458

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:18 pm

Your temps sound good, but how long have you been force feeding her and why did you start force feeding her? That is a very stressful undertaking for your leo. Stressed leos will go off food. Again tho, please full out the questionnaire so that we have a better idea of your husbandry, that way the membership is better equipped to make an informed assessment rather than having to ask a ton of questions. Here's the link to make it a little easier for you. http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t134-please-read-and-fill-out-with-your-health-questions
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum