Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Still not eating after a month and a half :(

5 posters

Go down

Still not eating after a month and a half :( Empty Still not eating after a month and a half :(

Post by Body Thief Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:43 pm

He's eaten maybe 20 mealies since I've had him. 16 the second day I had him and 3 about a week ago. To keep him fed I have been mashing up meailies and feeding him with a syringe. I doubt he's getting enough this way. He can't shed properly. I don't know what to do. The vet can't find anything wrong with him. I don't want to give up but I don't want to let him starve to death either. I love him so much but I don't know what else I can do. I'm going to try crickets and roaches. If he doesn't go for those then I don't have a clue what to do. Maybe he just hates my house and is depressed. He likes to hang out with me though so who knows.

All his temperatures are right, he has a hot hide, a cold hide, a moist hide, water and calcium. He has a UTH and I have a probe thermometer.
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Status Status : I <3 Claudia!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 842

Back to top Go down

Still not eating after a month and a half :( Empty Re: Still not eating after a month and a half :(

Post by Mardy Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:50 pm

I read the other thread you posted in December, apparently you took him to a vet and the vet gave him antibiotics? Then after you found out that it wasn't a vet that specializes in reptiles, and they gave him a shot of antibiotics without actually diagnosing anything. This is part of the reasons why I always hesitate taking animals to vets.. they don't treat them like their own pets.

Antibiotics are very harsh on leopard geckos, even more so one as small as the one you have. From what I read you said, you said they gave the gecko a shot, and then prescribed you oral antibiotics to take home? Do you know what shot it gave to your gecko, and what exactly was the antibiotic used orally?

Antibiotics like Baytril, which is commonly used for reptiles, can be very hard on the kidney, and it can easily be overdosed. If the gecko was not diagnosed with anything but yet shot with an antibiotic, as well as given oral treatment, this could very be why your gecko stopped eating.

You mentioned in the other thread they referred you to an exotic animal vet, did you ever see that exotic animals vet? If so what did they say?

I wish I have an answer for you but I really don't. It seems like you have done your homework and made sure the husbandry is done correctly. It seems you have tried various things already. The only thing I noticed from your other post is that you took your gecko to a non-specialized reptile vet, and that the gecko was given a shot of antibiotics as well as oral prescription without being diagnosed with anything. That's the only part that I'm worried about, as antibiotics on such a small gecko is very very hard on their body, especially the kidney.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Still not eating after a month and a half :( Empty Re: Still not eating after a month and a half :(

Post by herp625 Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:54 pm

Is this the same gecko with MBD?

herp625
Loyal Member

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 458

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:31 am

He sounds like he's stressed to the max to me between the antibiotics killing off all the guts proper and needed flora, did you ever use a probiotic after the antibiotic regimen? You absolutely should to restore the proper gi flora, all the good and needed bacteria was killed with the use of antibiotics. All the hand feeding you do is totally stressful for the leo. If he eats just 2 or 3 bugs a week, there is no need to hand feed slurry. You really need to leave him alone and let him destress our he'll never eat properly and the problems will continue. Keep your temps on the higher end around 96-97*F, and spray the viv every couple days to ensure proper humidity for property shedding. As long as the tank is dry and his nutritional balance is upset he will not shed properly. Good luck.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mjkaylee Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:15 pm

Our gecko has been trying to starve herself to. She has not eaten in about 1.5 weeks...she is getting skinny. Sad

mjkaylee

LGF Points LGF Points : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by Body Thief Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:07 pm

I took him to an actual reptile vet after the regular vet and they couldn't find anything wrong. He hadn't eaten in 3 weeks before I took him to the vet so I don't think the antibiotics were the original cause of him not eating. But i'm sure after reading what you guys have told me that those antibiotics certainly made it worse. I am going to try another reptile vet. I think vets can be just as bad as Doctors, not really caring what happens as long as they get paid. It's really sad Sad

I honestly think that maybe he doesn't like his viv or the location in my room. I think I'm going to move it and make it a little more natural looking. I know some of you will probably say that that might distress him more but I have to give it a go at this point. When I have him out with me, he is great. He's not panicky or restless like he is in his viv. He falls asleep as I'm rubbing him. And he'll casually and confidently walk around, where in his viv he just looks like he hates it.

When I was hand feeding him he didn't seem stressed at all, in fact he would get that tongue going as soon as he saw the syringe, and he didn't fight it. I haven't hand fed him in a week though.

I'm going to leave him be until we see the vet.

Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:57 pm

At least keep her hydrated by dropping water on her mouth so that she can lick it off. Especially after antibiotics were given, water is important.

Good Luck

herp625
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Body Thief Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Oh I forgot to tell you, it is not my gecko with MBD. She is doing amazing. :P
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mjkaylee Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:20 pm

YAAA Finally last night she came out and ate 7 mealworms! Her tail needs to start fattening up again! I dunno what her story is but she sure is nosey but then when we go near her she runs... we still hang onto her but she clicks when we first pick her up.

mjkaylee

LGF Points LGF Points : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:50 pm

Any further updates jessica? Glad your leo ate Niki Smile
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Body Thief Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:33 am

Thanks for asking.
Unfortunately he hasn't eaten since the 14 crix. He's really skinny and doesn't look good at all. Sad His poops after the meal look good though for the most part but it seems there's not quite as much urate as there should be. He just looks miserable and depressed. I know they are solitary creatures in the wild but he spent his whole life up until I got him with multiple geckos. I feel like maybe there's a small chance he may be taking the separation hard even though its natural for them to go it alone just because he was use to having others around.

Or maybe I just got bamboozled and sold a gecko they knew had some kind of problem. Sad

He did however shed great this last time two days ago, no help from me needed. The other 3 times he really needed my help.
Good shed seem like a good sign?
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:39 pm

Body Thief wrote:Thanks for asking.
Unfortunately he hasn't eaten since the 14 crix. He's really skinny and doesn't look good at all. Sad His poops after the meal look good though for the most part but it seems there's not quite as much urate as there should be. He just looks miserable and depressed. I know they are solitary creatures in the wild but he spent his whole life up until I got him with multiple geckos. I feel like maybe there's a small chance he may be taking the separation hard even though its natural for them to go it alone just because he was use to having others around.

Or maybe I just got bamboozled and sold a gecko they knew had some kind of problem. Sad

He did however shed great this last time two days ago, no help from me needed. The other 3 times he really needed my help.
Good shed seem like a good sign?
It's highly possible your gecko is dehydrated especially after antibiotic treatment. Was he given fluids while on antibiotics? dehydration is a common problem and can cause poor appetite and lack of urates. Try to get him to drink water somehow to see if it helps. I would also maintain the humidity at 40 to help prevent dehydration and shedding problems. Make sure air temperature is not below 80 on the warm side during the day and of course belly heat must be between 90-95. Provide actual water to the insects which will keep them more hydrated than fruits.

herp625
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Body Thief Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:49 am

This little guy is doing great now! After the those 14 crickets he didn't eat for while but he had a lot of poops since then, probably about 10 and he has been really lively this week. I also gave him water from the dropper for a few days to make sure he was drinking. I offered him some crickets yesterday and he ate probably ten plus 3 mealies. He's not restless anymore. And his little tail is fattening up. I had a good feeling after he had a proper shed a few weeks ago that he would troop it out. I can't wait until he's all filled out and I can take some pics and show you guys. :P TY for everyone's help and concerns Very Happy
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:15 am

Body Thief wrote:This little guy is doing great now! After the those 14 crickets he didn't eat for while but he had a lot of poops since then, probably about 10 and he has been really lively this week. I also gave him water from the dropper for a few days to make sure he was drinking. I offered him some crickets yesterday and he ate probably ten plus 3 mealies. He's not restless anymore. And his little tail is fattening up. I had a good feeling after he had a proper shed a few weeks ago that he would troop it out. I can't wait until he's all filled out and I can take some pics and show you guys. :P TY for everyone's help and concerns Very Happy
That's great news thumbs up 2

herp625
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:15 am

That's good to hear. Keep up the good work. Try to to let him gorge straight away, he could regurge, I'd start him back a little slower just to be on the safe side.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Body Thief Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:18 am

Alright will do! :P TY
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down