Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello!!

+4
Tsuhei
kathstew
Body Thief
mark1187
8 posters

Go down

Hello!! Empty Hello!!

Post by mark1187 Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:30 am

Hi there!

My name is Susan and my boyfriend is Mark. I have only been in the reptile hobby for 4 years, but Mark has been keeping and caring for many different reptiles since he was young. Since we have been together we have mostly kept snakes, until this September. My uncle who adored geckos had to suddenly move to Australlia, so we ended up adopting his collection. All of them are absolutly stunning, and I could not be happier caring for them.

Our current collection includes:

Male-Egnima (I dont have a pic for yet)

Female-Reverse Stripe

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Female-Bandit (notice the markings on her head Very Happy )

Male-Giant SHTCT (not the best picture)

Female-Giant APTOR (she is STUNNING in person!!!)

And unfortunatly we had to put one down this weekend. His name was Kong (the only one that had a name) and he was a Giant Tremper Albino. He was actually Moose's offspring!! It was because of him that I actually found this site. He got really sick and got really thin. I made up the slurry for him, but unfortunatly it did not help. We took him to the vet and they said they could not do anything for him No

So that is our gecko collection!! Hope you guys like the pics!

Thanks Smile
mark1187
mark1187

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 11

Back to top Go down

Hello!! Empty Re: Hello!!

Post by Body Thief Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:43 am

WELCOME!

They're all beautiful!

I'm sorry about Kong Sad
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Status Status : I <3 Claudia!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 842

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:06 am

Welcome to the forum! Its great to have you, I hope you enjoy your time here ^_^

You have some absolutely lovely leos! I LOVE your APTOR. They are one of my favorite morphs.

I'm sorry about Kong. If you don't mind my asking, was he diagnosed with anything, or was it unknown? He was a beautiful leo, I'm sure he had a great life with you.

One thing I'd suggest is getting rid of the repticarpet. Repticarpet is actually a breeding ground for bacteria, no matter how much you try to clean it. I suggest paper towel or tiling (such as peel-n-stick or slate).
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:14 am

Welcome to the forum! I love that Bandit and APTOR Smile

Agreed with Kathryn...I personally use slate. It's really good at conducting heat. Very Happy
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Status Status : His name is Typhon!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1733

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:14 am

Hello & Welcome to the forum Smile
I'm Sarah.. Nice to meet you Very Happy
Your geckos are gorgeous Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mark1187 Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:33 am

Thanks everyone!!

And don't worry, the day we brought the geckos home we threw away the carpet. We keep all are reptiles on papertowel. All the pics I posted were taken by my uncle when he had them. We don't even use moss in the moist hide anymore, just misted papertowel.

What the vet told us was that he had a "lethal parasite". I cannot recall the name of what it was, but she told me that apparently the US is having a major problem with it. To us, at least at the time, it made sense because Kong was the only one that came directly from a US breeder and the rest (except the Egnima) came from Designer Geckos. And I know Designer Geckos is also in the US, but I guess they keep a better faciltiy. Kong was the only "unhealthy" one. Everyone else is in fantastic health. From what my uncle told me, Kong had been a picky eater since he hatched. The vet told us that it was very much possible that he would of had the parasite from birth and he never really showed the symptoms until the stress of the move to our house. From then, he just got worse...

I hope that makes sense! I am terriable at explaining things over messages Embarassed
mark1187
mark1187

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Glad to hear you replaced the repticarpet! thumbs up 2

Oh dear, I'm really sorry. ): I'm not familiar with the types of parasites so I wouldn't be able to jog your memory with some names.
I'm glad to hear that all the other geckos are in great health though. Keep an eye on them just in case the parasite Kong had could be passed on.

And that made perfect sense. I feel the same way when I'm trying to explain things as well though! LOL
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Linsey Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:25 am

Absolutely gorgeous collection, I am in love with your giant APTOR! In fact I have decided that is going to be my next one!!

Also, how do you keep all these guys without them taking up a lot of space!! I have two and I m waiting on a female in March. And I am scared about the amount of space they will take up. Thanks and welcome! These people are awesome on this forum!!

Linsey

Status Status : Trying to take it all in....
LGF Points LGF Points : 112

Back to top Go down

Post by LindseyM16 Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:22 am

your aptor is awesome. Smile nice collection!
LindseyM16
LindseyM16
Loyal Member

Status Status : Lizards are cool.
LGF Points LGF Points : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post by mark1187 Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:39 am

Thanks again! And I agree, the people here are really nice! It took me a while to post anything because I am used to forums bashing people and making the person feel stupid. When I realized it was not the same with this forum, I had to show off our gecko collection!

Linsey, right now, they are taking up a lot of space. They are all in glass aquariums ranging from 30 - 40 gal and our egnima in a 10 gal. How we have it set up for now is we bought the steel industrial shelves and adjusted the shelves for the tanks to fit on. We did not get the plastic shelving you can get because we have met a lot of people that have plastic shelves and they bend and sag a lot. This is all just temperary for us until we get the money that we need for the new set up. What we plan on doing is getting the PVC cages that are stackable with the plexiglass front door. With all of our snakes we have kept them in the PVC racks and they are fantastic and a real space saver.
mark1187
mark1187

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:20 am

hiya and welcome to the forum Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:25 am

Lethal parasite? Was it called "crypto" (Cryptosporidiosis)? Keep an eye on your healthy geckos to make sure they didn't get sick. Smile glad to have you on the forum.
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Status Status : His name is Typhon!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1733

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum