Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are your thoughts on..

5 posters

Go down

what are your thoughts on.. Empty what are your thoughts on..

Post by Mystic Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:02 pm

hey guys
so i was wondering what your thoughts are on leos enjoying coming out of the cage and spending time with you. there is a lot of controversy on this subject and i wanted to see what you guys think. i think it first off depends on the leo because we all know that they have different personalities. but my thoughts on it are that your leo can enjoy getting out and exploring new places, and that they can enjoy your company but at the same time they can find it rather annoying haha. like i said in another post they have personalities of dragons, they have pride and honer and they hate it that you can overpower them so much but if you are kind to them they will except you as a equal and if you die thy will miss you a little but.. they will move on XD now what do you guys think your leos are like? and what your thoughts are on if they enjoy coming out and hanging with you.
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

what are your thoughts on.. Empty Re: what are your thoughts on..

Post by Body Thief Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:26 pm

Claudia loves to explore, she's very confident when she is out. I would think that if she didn't like it she would either run fast to get somewhere to hide or she would be hesitant but she is neither. And she fancies a nice back rub.

I would not, however, trust my two boy leos to wander freely on my bed. I think they would disappear altogether. They are shy and don't really like to be messed with whereas Claudia was very social with me since day one. She looks at me all the time whether she's hungry or not, so I know it's not always "hey, feed me"

I think leos personalities vary just like any other animal or human being, some love people some hate people and some are in between.

I have a box tortoise who is just vicious as they come and hates people but I have a sulcata who likes his back to be rubbed.

I think reptiles are perceived as a lot less emotional than they actually are, but thats just my opinion. I'm sure they aren't as emotional as a dog or cat, but they're certainly not robots.

Same thing with animals like chickens, most of them are pretty generic but you get some here and there that are unique and have way more personality than the average chicken.

One of my friends even had a sucker fish that loved his belly rubbed! It was so cute. Smile

Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Status Status : I <3 Claudia!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 842

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:31 pm

hah thats awesome, and i agree, i think reptiles can have emotions and its quite possible we just dont know how they express them. just a little while ago people didnt think dogs had emotions or feelings, same with all the other animals (some people i know still think that) and we know they do, and also there was a studdy made that actually found that rats like being tickled and laugh. they found this out by using a special device that helped them hear the quite sounds of laughter that the rats made when they tickled them and the rats would actually run to their hands to be tickled. maybe some day we will find how reptiles show emotions.
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by James Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:41 pm

Anke like to come out of her viv and to be held but I wouldnt trust her to explore my bed ect yet:)
James
James
Loyal Member

Status Status : Wants a ferret :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 656

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:45 pm

lol i dont let charm go explore with out my eye on her 24/7 and stopping her when ever she goes some were i dont like.
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Immy Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:41 am

I think you're completely right, that it depends on the leo and that they don't like to be overpowered.

My boyfriend prefers to gently pick Rango up and although he gives a little struggle, Rango doesn't seem to mind this as he will happily wander up and down his arms and sit on his shoulder to watch TV. However, I tend to put my hand in the tank and let him come to me (luckily I'm quite patient!) which he has started to do, more and more. Now, he comes up to the glass and watches us whenever we're in the room, and when we open the tank, he will even sometimes climb up and wait for us to put our hands there so he can climb on us.

Also, something quite odd - I have a pair of fluffy red christmas pyjamas which he seems to love climbing on - everytime I put my arm in, he's straight up, crawling up and down my arm! I think it definitely depends on the gecko and how patient you are with them. If you're really gentle everytime you get them out and don't alarm them too much, then they don't seem to mind. However, it's even nicer when they come to you as you know that they are actually wanting to come out to wander Smile

I do actually think that they have emotions, as sometimes he can be in a strange mood where he just can't be bothered and then other times, he'll wait at the glass for us to open the tank!
Immy
Immy

LGF Points LGF Points : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:20 pm

first off let me start by saying this, be cautious not to put human emotions into the 'thoughts' of any reptiles. they are not capable of having human emotions, so saying they 'love us' is just not true. i do believe that some do enjoy getting out of thier cages and 'playing' and exploring. i know most of mine will actually run up my arm when i have thier cages open for whatever reason...they 'enjoy' being out and about. some of mine though, dont enjoy it, and only tollorate it. unfortunately my male white and yellow sunglow is one of them that will run and run untill i catch him. once i get ahold of him, and he is walking around on me, he chills out pretty quick...but he does not 'enjoy' handling sessions. i do know that some like it, while others will only tollorate it. either way, i know i enjoy playing with them...even if they dont. lol.
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down