Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Handling incorrectling???

5 posters

Go down

Handling incorrectling??? Empty Handling incorrectling???

Post by SickPuppy Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:39 pm

My leopard gecko is a normal gecko, he's about 8 months old and still growing (very quickly!) He's super curious and charismatic and sort of.. feisty.

I have read MANY articles and watched tons of "tutorial" videos on "taming" my gecko, but he still just isn't taking a liking to me. Sad I don't know what i am doing wrong!

I feed him every day just after handling him for 3-5 minutes, hoping he'll associate that with food (however i really do NOT want to hand feed him, the crix are so icky)

My dad bought him for me in August of this year, he was 4 months old when i brought him home. I let him settle in for a good 3-5 days or so before i began getting real close to the enclosure (a 15 gallon tank) and before reaching in, putting new climbing logs and things in with him. After that period where he seemed to come out more often and look around, i just simply started putting my hand in his enclosure for probably 3 minutes or so and just letting him see that it's there. I wouldn't touch him or anything, and he seemed okay, in fact he didn't seem to mind it at all. As the days turned into weeks of having him, i began to move my hand around in the enclosure and even moving towards his legs until he'd sort of shuffle onto my hand and actually lay against the warmth. He seemed to be doing SO well, so i started slowly touching his head a little, touching his legs, etc. But as soon as i get anywhere near his back, he just totally WIGS OUT and runs away. He'll wave his tail at me and scurry back into his hide. I wasn't bothered or surprised by this at all the first couple of weeks doing it, but now it's starting to really concern me. I can't move quickly in any way, or he'll shy away and i absolutely can't touch his back, yet he doesn't really seem to be freaked out by me touching his head, ever so lightly.

How am i ever going to be able to pick him up or anything if i can't even move at a semi-normal pace? Sad Is this normal? Am i pushing it too much? Will he ever be manageable and careful, even slower moving like most leos??
SickPuppy
SickPuppy

LGF Points LGF Points : 67

http://www.xsickpuppy.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Handling incorrectling??? Empty Re: Handling incorrectling???

Post by rickmoss95 Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:58 pm

he will chill out. most leos dont like thier backs being touched. they are very touch sensitive...if you ever watch him, pay attention how he uses his tail to feel the hide, or whatever he is close to. the tubercles(the little spikes all over them) are very sensitive to touch, and even environment...so just be gentle, and persistant and he will eventually chill out. just let him walk on you for a while, and dont do so much ''petting" and he will accept your presence alot faster...let him realize he is getting some freedom, and not going to be controlled...he will like that alot more than being petted. good luck, and just be patient.
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by SickPuppy Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:01 pm

Thank you so much, i was really concerned that this wasn't normal. ;_; knowing that they're real sensitive, makes so much sense. thank you!

another thing, it's funny, he doesn't like to be handled by me, but he really enjoys my voice. whenever i talk to him real softly or anything, he'll immediately close his eyes and lie down, it's really sweet and i guess something like that is a little reassuring, heh.

thanks again!
SickPuppy
SickPuppy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:18 pm

welcome to the forum! im glad you came are here, leopard geckos are great fun, i think he just needs a little extra time, all leos have different personalities and different likes, so he might be one that doesn't care for his back being pet but might not mind his head being touched. but time will help things mellow out. time is on your side seeing how leos can live up to around 20 years so don't worry just enjoy each other and as long as you are kind to him i am sure he will find you to be good ^_^ also just a thought but maybe you should try feeding him before you handle him or you could go about getting him some meal worms or super worms (depending on how big he is lol) and then you could feed him every time you take him out of the tank, (because the worms are slow and not so icky lick crickets) that is what i have done with my leo charm, and she is getting very sociable. but like i said before it might just be his personality. i look at leos allot like little pet dragons, very proud and smart, almost like a cat but some times with more pride lol anyways good luck and dont be afraid to give some some pictures of the cutie ^_~
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nicky.collier1 Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:37 pm

I hope he chills for you soon! i have three, one loved to be handled at first now doesnt want to leave his hide ever, another perfers if i just let him crawl on my hands/arms/ and shoulders (i make sure he never falls and i stay sitting on my bed so he has a soft landing and a short fall JUST incase) and my third loves to be handled, even lets me pet his belly!

nicky.collier1

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 225

Back to top Go down

Post by SickPuppy Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:15 am

Thank you so much, guys :3 and thank you for the welcome, Mystic!

i never really thought of feeding before handling, didn't think there would be much difference, but it does make sense. i might switch that way and see if there's any change in a few weeks Smile also, i don't ever take him out of his enclosure because he's so jumpy and i'm scared he might dart away from me and i won't be able to catch him or he'd fall off my bed or something, i really don't want to lose my little guy!
SickPuppy
SickPuppy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:18 pm

i cant blame you for worrying i felt that way about charm but she was pretty good for me at the beginning, you do what ever you feel is right ^_^
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BigFeatherFarm Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:25 pm

SickPuppy wrote:Thank you so much, i was really concerned that this wasn't normal. ;_; knowing that they're real sensitive, makes so much sense. thank you! <br /><br />another thing, it's funny, he doesn't like to be handled by me, but he really enjoys my voice. whenever i talk to him real softly or anything, he'll immediately close his eyes and lie down, it's really sweet and i guess something like that is a little reassuring, heh.<br /><br />thanks again!

It sounds a lot like my girl Kalani ... she's been very sweet from the start. I got her as an adult, but she still went through the normal period of getting used to me/the house/smells/etc. But I noticed after a week she would LOVE to listen to me talk. I fed with tweezers so she new I was her keeper and always talked to her. I've already picked her up, though - I just let her know I'm there for a minute or two then use my fingers like a spatula and scoop her up. No back touching needed!

Well, today she was looking up at me on top of her hide as I talked to her, and she looked down to my shirt and tried to crawl up it through the glass. I put my hand in and she climbed on all by herself. Brought tears to my eyes, that after working with her for this time she does know I'm her momma. So, hang in there, he'll calm down if you keep working with him! Smile
BigFeatherFarm
BigFeatherFarm

Status Status : Currently doing research.
LGF Points LGF Points : 125

http://www.bigfeatherfarm.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SickPuppy Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:04 am

awwwwwww that is so cute!! that definitely brought a smile to my face (B i know sometimes, when i'm screwing around in his tank (i take all of the dishes and things out every couple weeks to soak them and clean them thoroughly) he'll sometimes crawl up on my hand/arm and smell around my skin, it's really funny...

thank you everyone for reassuring that i'm doing things okay! i'll keep everything updated as much as possible Smile <3
SickPuppy
SickPuppy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum