Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sick gecko :(

4 posters

Go down

Sick gecko :( Empty Sick gecko :(

Post by Body Thief Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:56 am

About your leo:
- Sex-male
- Age & Weight- age unknown-29g
- Morph (if you know) super snow
- How long have you owned your leo-2 weeks
- Where was he/she obtained (Pet store, breeder, wild caught, etc.)pet store
- Is your leo wild caught or captive bred, captive

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo- everyday
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how - breathes weird, breathes normal then gapes his mouth open and takes a huge breath
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe.
B) Fecals-very small
- Describe-Do they look any different than normal- the one today is greenish
- When was the last time he/she went last night
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem/issue you are experiencing and how long it has been going on- The 2nd day i had him he was acting crazy trying to eat me through the glass and lunging at my hand when i stuck it in. I fed him 16 mealies, he was still being aggressive, then everyday since he has been skittish, no aggression. for the past week he has been breathing normal and then he'll gape his mouth open every minute even when he's sleeping. Since the 16mealies he has eaten 1 mealie since and that was probably a week ago. I handle him and he's fine. Parts of his body are really pale, other parts are normal, he had difficulty shedding a few days ago, i helped him out. I can see black spot on his belly as of today, I thought i read somewhere that that is the liver? he's really restless. I'm just going to get him to the vet asap. I wonder if he has worms or something. Sad

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size-10g
- Type (ex. glass tank, screen enclosure, tub kept) glass
- Type of substrate (sand, vinyl tiles, ceramic/stone tiles, etc.) paper towel
- Hides (how many, location and type (hothide, humid hide, regular hide etc.) 3 hides, hot cold and humid half on hot half on cold
B) Heating
- What is your main heat source (heat bulbs, under tank heat mat etc) **Please include the brand and size of your UTH if you use one**zilla heat pad small
- What are your cage temps (hot side and cool side)(95....cold unknown
- Method of regulating your heat source (thermostat, rheostat, light dimmer etc.) rheostat
- What are you using to measure your temps (probe thermometer, infrared lazer tempo gun, stick on temp gauge, etc)
- Do you have any lights (describe type (red,blue, basking etc) and cycle duration)none
C) Cage mates none
- How many (males, females)
- Describe health, or previous problems of cage mates

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet- mealies
- What are you feeding mealies
- How often are you feeding your gecko and how much per feeding? try everyday
- How are you feeding (hand fed, tongs/tweezers, left in dish, ect) tried hand, tongs and leaving them on the ground
B) Supplements
- What calcium suppliment are you using (please include brand)Rep-cal
- What multi vitimin are you using (please include brand) ReptoLife
-How are you implimenting your suppliment program (how often do you dust with each suppliment, do you leave calcium in the tank 24/7 etc.)I dust a couple times a week, leave calcium in the viv at all times
- What are you gutloading your feeder insects with- carrots

His eyes are really bright though and other than the paleness his skin condition looks really good, hes not all dried out and crusty looking or anything. I dont know if he has a cold or something. I'm going to get him to the vet and get him a 20g today. Maybe he just hates this small tank. I just think it's weird that he he ate so good that one day and nothing since. I guess i'll try crickets. maybe he doesnt like mealies. But as for the gaping i his breathing i just dont know
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Status Status : I <3 Claudia!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 842

Back to top Go down

Sick gecko :( Empty Re: Sick gecko :(

Post by samsleopardgeckos Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:02 am

does he keep his head up when he's breathing/gaping?
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Body Thief Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:50 am

If he's awake its up, asleep its down
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:35 am

Is there any raspyness that you can hear? Does he blow snot bubbles? Head always up sounds like sinus infection (possibly, but this is where the raspy comes in. ) Also sounds constipated to me backed up to the point that's its impeeding on his lungs a bit, added pressure and he's gasping big breaths to compnsate. Id start warm baths and a dab of mineral oil on his nose to help move things along... its also a laxitive. The color worries me a bit too. Check the next poo if its the same or no better get to the vet... 16 mealies is a LARGE meal. Trying to digest that all at once even with your good temps can be hard. You can candle him by putting a flashlight to his back, put him in a clear dish and kind of hold him down lightly and look thru the bottom to see his belly. Packed intestines will appear darker/ more opaque. The black spot higher up on te waistline is likely the liver. If I were you id book a vet appointment now for Saturday if your vet has saturdays, that way you can try some of the other remedies to see if that helps. Hopefully he has a nice big poo for ya and all the gaping goes away. Either that or possibly a regurgitation. Even that would b welcome at this point, at last if he is blocked some of its out.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Body Thief Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:21 pm

Alright great, thanks for the advice! I was wondering if that was too many at a time. No smog, and no raspyness. He has pooped 3 or four times since but very small and one was just urate or Wtv its called. ill definitely try what you said. How many baths and for how long?
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Body Thief Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:58 pm

he is eating calcium now out of a bottle cap
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:07 pm

He sounds like he's doing better, since he's had movements you might not want to put him thru the stress of a bath but I'd still dab a lil mineral oil on his nose to make things pass a lil easier. Eating the calcium is good, just trying to replenish himself. Passing urate (yes you were right there Smile ) is a good thing, that means he's likely not dehydrated. If he goes a couple days with out a movement, do the soak, about 15 minutes, warm water, make sure it stays warm, you'll likely need to add more, deep enough to come up his sides but not over his back or it could get in his nostrils, not good. Has he eaten since?
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Body Thief Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:12 am

He finally pooped sometime through the night, it was bigger than the last one but still small. I'm taking him to the vet this morning. Sad I hope he's ok
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Body Thief Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:31 am

He got a shot of antibiotics, I'm going to continue the antibiotics orally. He's been really spry though this whole time so hopefully he just has a little something that this medicine will kick.

I'm going to make him some slurry too :P
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:40 am

awwww bless hope he's ok hun x
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:17 am

Did he actually diagnose anything? Or suggest what could be wrong? For how long on the antibiotic? Did he prescribe probiotics with that? He should have...glad he's more active for you, sometimes the drive makes them poo..movement makes movements Smile
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Body Thief Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:23 am

He said it seemed like he might have some kind of infection due to his breathing. He said the only way to be sure was to take him to an exotic vet which I thought that this place was seeing as how they treat exotic animals, and he said all the further testing is done at an all exotic vet. I was pretty bummed they didn't tell me all this til after I was there and he was being treated.

No probiotics Sad Great, is my lizard going to die now?

They said out a poop sample I collected this morning too, I want to make sure he doesn't have parasites.

They did tell me where the all Exotic Vet is in my area though, about 45 minutes away from my house. So I'll probably be paying them a visit next. Thank god for this forum.
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by peach75 Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:01 pm

"breathes weird, breathes normal then gapes his mouth open and takes a huge breath "

Most likely Upper Respiratory Infection so the last thing you want to do is soak him. Hydration is important while on antibiotics so try to give him water with a dropper. Also keep him nice and warm, even at night to keep his immune system working it's best.

Hope he get's better soon:|

peach75
Loyal Member

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 333

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down