Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

t positive and t negative

Go down

t positive and t negative Empty t positive and t negative

Post by rickmoss95 Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:13 am

when you hear the phrases "t positive" albino, and "t negative" albino here is what that all means'

the T stands for "tyrosinase". tyrosinase is actually an enzyme that is or is not present in a reptiles skin cells. tyrosinase is absolutely nessisary in order for the production of melanins, which is the black pigmentation you see in reptiles, well, non albino reptiles at least. tyrosinase is an amino acid that is converted into what is caled "dopa", then it is converted from dopa, into dopaquinone(...hope i spelled that right) and is now in the presence of tyrosinase. the tyrosinase is then synthesized by the melanophores(which produce melanin). ok, so in a t positive albino, the tyrosinase IS produced, but it is blocked from the melanophores, so you get a little bit of what looks like brown, or lavender, but no actual black....

in a t negative albino, the tyrosinase is completely absent from the body, so you get absolutely NO melanin, or melanophores....so there is no melanin to be seen through the skin at all. so all you get is yellows, oranges, reds, and whites....NO BLACKS.

that is the best way i can break it down for you in my words....i hope i could maybe clarify the differences for some of you that may not have already known this.....and here is to hoping one of us will produce a t NEGATIVE albino...

this is also why alot of people wonder why 'albino' geckos do not have red eyes, it is because they are all t positive albinos, and there is tyrosinase present, which allows some darker colors to show through. as of right now the only way you can get an all red eye, is with some enigmas, and by breeding the eclipse gene into the albino strains, and getting the homozygous(or visible morph) forms of eclipse, and albino in one animal....hope i could help clarify or even teach a couple of you something new!!! ..........now lets produce that t negative albino!!! imagine what it will look like!!!!!!!
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum