Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wound on my leo

4 posters

Go down

wound on my leo Empty wound on my leo

Post by star55 Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:47 pm

Hey guys I've had three female Leos in a tank for awhile now and today I just got another female and added her into the tank i leave them all of em in the one tank including the new one for a couple hours and I come back seeing mini bite wounds nothing serious I treated it already on the newest member of the family. I thought males only bite and fight other males. But they are definitely all females which didn't fight each other. Is it just a house warming signal from the dominant female in the tank slowing whose boss? Or a different reason anything I should be worried about?

star55

LGF Points LGF Points : 52

Back to top Go down

wound on my leo Empty Re: wound on my leo

Post by Dosercody Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:54 pm

You pretty much nailed it. Its likely one of the other females dominating the new one. It does happen in females occasionally, and isn't really rare. The thing to do is put the new member in her own tank to ensure her safety, or you can slowly introduce the new female. Put her in the enclosure with the others for a few hours every day slowly increasing the time until she is there permanently. Obviously when she is with the others, keep a close eye on them.

Dosercody

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 255

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:25 am

You should really have quarantined your new gecko before introducing her to your other leos. Quarantining is when you keep the new gecko away from the older geckos for at least a month to ensure the new leo is healthy, as well as so you can learn the new leos eating habits and pooping habits.

Females do fight. Females create a hierarchy, where one is the alpha female, and the rest are below her, but still kind of in a chain of who is the boss over who.

When introducing a new leo you should really keep an eye on them so you can separate them if there is a lot of fighting.

What size tank do you have and what is your set-up like? You should have one hide on the hot side, one on the cool side and a humid hide. Add one of each for every extra leo. So if you have 2 in the same tank, you should have 2 hot hides, 2 cool hides and 2 humid hides. This will lower the chance of fighting over territory. You should really have at least a 40-50 gallon tank for 4 females.
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by star55 Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:01 am

i have a 40 gal breeder tank with two hides on both sides. its weird though the three leos i had already are only a year to a year and half old and the newest one i have is three and a half years old and twice the size of my biggest one because its a super giant. id figure the bigger and older would be the alpha female

star55

LGF Points LGF Points : 52

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:25 am

I'd add 2 more hides on each side then, as I said, it may help aggression if you decide to keep the new leo with the other leos.

When keeping females together you should really keep them all around the same size. I don't think its a good idea to keep a supergiant with regular leos...
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:02 pm

Jusdt because a gecko is older and/or bigger does not mean it will automatically be the dominant or alpha one of the group. Every animal has their own personality and some are naturally submissive or docile while others are dominant or aggressive. Plus the super giant could have been bullied by all three of the others, in which case she does not stand much of a chance even though she is bigger than them. She is outnumbered obviously. Your 40gal tank may be big enough to house 4 leos but you absolutely have to make sure there are enough hides (a total of 10 in your case) or there will be constant bickering.
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down