Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How can you tell if you have an Enigma?

5 posters

Go down

How can you tell if you have an Enigma? Empty How can you tell if you have an Enigma?

Post by Body Thief Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm

My leo, Claudia, has horrible aim when hunting, she misses more than she catches. And when she's hunting she tucks her chin in and cocks her head to the side while staring at the food, then strikes. Maybe this is normal? I looked up leos hunting on Youtube and I haven't seen any hunt this way. I have no idea what her breeding is because I got her from a pet store that doesn't know anything, really. She also walks very low to the ground sometimes but maybe she's just settling in as I have only had her for a week or so. Other than that she seems great. She climbs good and explores her viv, seems to be eating normal and pooping normal.
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Status Status : I <3 Claudia!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 842

Back to top Go down

How can you tell if you have an Enigma? Empty Re: How can you tell if you have an Enigma?

Post by Mardy Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:45 pm

Visible enigma traits are usually their distinct speckled patterns on their body and unique patterns on the head. They often have white speckled tail, and reddish eyes.

Enigma genes are also color enhancers so normal orange coloring on a gecko would look almost reddish on an enigma.

As for behavior, your usual enigma syndromes are star gazing, walking in circles, bad aim, super docile personality, etc..

If all you are noticing are the bad aim, I'd say your gecko isn't an enigma. A lot of geckos have bad aim, some get better as they get older, some just kinda suck at it. Some would seem like they have bad eye sight so it would always take a few strikes before they can catch the prey.

Hope that helps Smile
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

How can you tell if you have an Enigma? Empty Re: How can you tell if you have an Enigma?

Post by Body Thief Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:51 pm

Alright, thanks for the info! :P
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Status Status : I <3 Claudia!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 842

Back to top Go down

Post by Dosercody Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:45 pm

Agree with Mardy. I have an enigma who has bad aim, but also stares off into space, walks in circles alot of the time, especially right after or before hunting, and occasionally does a little shudder. By appearance, its easiest to tell an enigma by their tail IMO. It's usually washed out on color, if that makes sense . I doubt you have an enigma, but you never know Smile

Dosercody

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 255

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:56 pm

Jessica, I have a Bell Albino who does exactly the same things. Cocking the head and missing his prey. He also bumps into things. Think the albino strains have weaker eyes which let in a lot of light so this would definitely affect eyesight. I just try to keep him away from any bright light and only take him out to handle him at night without the light in the room on.
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:49 am

haha I've seen grumpy miss his superworms before Smile not alot, but occasionally Very Happy haha I've seen grumpy miss his superworms before Smile not alot, but occasionally Very Happy (Grumpy is a super snow albino)
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down