Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW geckos for me *PIC HEAVY*

+4
Kodieh
samsleopardgeckos
Xelleybelly
paulmhoward
8 posters

Go down

NEW geckos for me *PIC HEAVY* Empty NEW geckos for me *PIC HEAVY*

Post by paulmhoward Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:01 am

Hey everyone! I told you all i wouldnt be done with leos. I am back to tell you of two new geckos i got today. I was at a small pet shop in a town not too far away and they had some nice healthy, bigger leos for sale. I dont know it they were full grown, but they are much bigger than the poor little sick babies i had that died. I went in and purchased one of the two they had for sale. The store had them listed for 69.99 before taxes. I was able to talk the shop owner down a good bit, down to 45 bucks. As my friend and I were leaving the store, a couple came in with a leo that they had as a rescue, they rescued her from an abusive home, but were no longer financially capable to see her to full health. The shop owner asked if i would be interested to help them out, so I agreed. Ill shut up for now and show some pictures! Names are still up in the air. Both geckos are female to my knowledge, so yeah. Also, maybe you all can ID the morphs as well? Im glad to have some photos to be proud of, showing my sick baby gecko was a tough thing to do. With out further ado, on to some photos!!

the one i originally purchased
NEW geckos for me *PIC HEAVY* Newgec10
NEW geckos for me *PIC HEAVY* Newgec11
NEW geckos for me *PIC HEAVY* Newgec12

and on to the rescue
NEW geckos for me *PIC HEAVY* Newgec13
NEW geckos for me *PIC HEAVY* Newgec14
paulmhoward
paulmhoward

Status Status : New leos! Yessssss
LGF Points LGF Points : 118

http://www.paulmhoward.com

Back to top Go down

NEW geckos for me *PIC HEAVY* Empty Re: NEW geckos for me *PIC HEAVY*

Post by Xelleybelly Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:08 am

They look beatuiful Smile Congratulations on your new lovelys! Looks like the rescued one is shedding? Looks like she just needs some good eats Smile
Xelleybelly
Xelleybelly

Status Status : Dean is healing up hopefully, lets hope for a quick recovery!
LGF Points LGF Points : 195

Back to top Go down

Post by paulmhoward Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:16 am

Looks like that for the most part. My only concern are her toes. Much shorter than normal and not every one has a claw. she seems to struggle to use her back legs too. Any ideas? Also, what are my morphs?
paulmhoward
paulmhoward

Back to top Go down

Post by Xelleybelly Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:22 am

I don't have the best background with Leopard geckos, I'm pretty new, but I know that my Dean also doesn't have toenails on all his toes, but he manages around fine Smile

It's just a guess but back legs could just be struggling due to your leo being weak? But I'm sure someone else would have better advice for you Smile
Xelleybelly
Xelleybelly

Status Status : Dean is healing up hopefully, lets hope for a quick recovery!
LGF Points LGF Points : 195

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:57 pm

nice pics Smile morph wise id say high yellow or normal for both.

In regards to your rescue, she should be fine with missing toes but just keep a eye on her climbing if she is failing, hope you have quarantined well away from your orginal leo. if you can get all the shed skin cleaned off her, movement wise she may have a deformed pelvis or could be cos she is weak/lacking muscle in the rear end. Is she eating ok since you took her on?

Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:26 pm

The herp bug isn't something you can ever get rid of. Wink
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:21 am

To be perfectly honest, looking at the legs and the way the rescue is standing I'm thinking she's got MDB.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by paulmhoward Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:24 am

OK! thanks for the replies! Good news! I soaked the rescued leo, and we were able to get what seemed like several layers of shed off of her. She looks a million times better. The last home she was in must have made her the worst conditions possible as far as shedding goes. There were like three layers of shed on her. Not only does she look better, she also moves a million times better too. maybe all that shed on her back legs made it too painful to move well? She is doing better. Her tail is a little lumpy, which Im guessing means that it is not her original tail.

As far as quarantine, i have the two leos in separate ten gallon tanks for now. The tanks are beside each other though, is that okay?
paulmhoward
paulmhoward

Back to top Go down

Post by paulmhoward Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:30 am

Sam- I got her yesterday afternoon. We tried to feed her before we soaked her, but she didnt seem interested. I did leave a bowl with a few small superworms and mealworms. That was around 10pm or so last night. She hasnt eaten any yet.
paulmhoward
paulmhoward

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:14 am

Quarantine ~ really you should keep her in a different room for at least a month until you can be sure she's not carrying anything that can be passed onto the other leo.

food wise just keep trying her each night for now, Glad you got all the skin off her and yes its possible the skin was painful and uncomfortable and thats why she moved funny or not much and her tail is a regenerated one so bless her she dropped her nice normal looking one at some point in her life.

Any question please feel free to ask/post them on here as we'll always help where we can Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:45 am

wowoww Smile they are sooo beautiful!!

I think one is a normal & one looks like my mack snow.. but you cant say for sure unless you get genetic tests done or you know the breeder.. so I'd say both very pretty normals Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by paulmhoward Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:35 am

samsleopardgeckos wrote:Quarantine ~ really you should keep her in a different room for at least a month until you can be sure she's not carrying anything that can be passed onto the other leo.

You really think i need to separate them that much? I use hand sanitizer in between handling each of them too.
paulmhoward
paulmhoward

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:27 pm

they are both little sweet hearts! the one you got from the pet store looks very nice and healthy. the rescue looks like she has been threw alot poor girl. im so glad that you rescued her and that you are part of the forums so that we can help you out in any way we can. way to go on getting all the shed off of her, i bet she feels so much better. as far as having them in separate rooms i think that is just encase she has something that can be transferred threw the air. i know its really annoying but some times its better to be safe then sorry you know? and as for the missing toes that is usually cause by bad sheds. the skin gets stuck around the toes and pretty much cuts off the blood flow and they end up falling off. so im guessing that is how she lost them, how are her eyes? she looks like she is squinting in the pictures, i would be worried that she might have some shed in her eyes making her squint but she also might just have been feeling icky from everything. aslo don't worry about her not eating she is probably stressed like crazy from all the change in her life. make sure to keep her some were nice and quite and with not to much light while she gets used to things. when you feed her and what not i would make sure to be quite and slow moving so she doesn't get to stressed. you will have to post some pictures of her once she starts eating and gets used to everything we would love to see how she progresses.
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:58 pm

its always better to be safe than sorry hun when it comes to quarantine Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:22 pm

It's wonderful that you're nursing a leo in need back to health! They're both beautiful. Smile
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Status Status : His name is Typhon!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1733

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:52 am

Congrats on getting your new leos! They both look gorgeous! I hope the rescue is on a fast road to recovering and gaining some weight. Very Happy

I agree with Sam and Cortney, its always better to be safe than sorry. An example of keeping them in seperate rooms: Someone on youtube had a snake that had mites, and was keeping the snake in the same room as all the other reptiles. O_O NOT GOOD.
Not saying your leo has mites or anything, lol, but there could be something that you don't know about. A month QT time is always best, and in the long run you may be much happier you did, as many rescues are given away because they are sick and the owners don't want to care for a sick pet. :/
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down