Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Important - Possible ban on exotics?

5 posters

Go down

Important - Possible ban on exotics? Empty Important - Possible ban on exotics?

Post by Jordan Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:11 am

I wouldn't normally like links to other forums but take a look at these links:
I don't know all the in's and out's of it, but apparently at some government or EU meeting or something, DEFRA tried to initiate a ban on all non native animals and there wasn't exactly much support their which were Pro-Animal Keeping so... this has sparked off.

Thread with some info:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

DEFRA site:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... /index.cfm

Quote from Chris Newman, the head of the British Federation of Herpetologists

Chris Newman wrote:
Chris Newman is the head of the British Federation of Herpetologists

Invasive Non-native Species Policy Discussions within the European Union

Dear all,

Discussions and preliminary consultations commenced midway through 2010 on the development of an EU policy on the issue of invasive or potentially invasive non-native (or alien) species – both plant and animal but from here onwards this summary will concentrate on animal-related concerns. Previous discussions had taken place between 2005-2010 but have become a lot more important because of the European Union’s stated intent to enact some form of legislation on the issue as part of their commitments on biodiversity. A consultation – not well publicised – took place over the summer of 2010 and according to EU officials most respondents were British (both from the pro-keeping and pro-trade side and from the animal protectionist & animal rights side of the argument).

A stakeholder consultation meeting took place on 3rd September with attendance dominated by those opposed to animal-keeping and trade in animals. Although the legislation – likely to be either an EU Directive or Regulation – will consider aspects such as who pays for non-native species becoming established and how to eliminate or control species that have become invasive the biggest concern for animal keepers and animal traders is the area that will be covered by the Prevention Working Group.

The heavy area of dispute - not surprisingly – will be focused on whether the legislation should have white or black lists for import and for home possession/trade. Those opposed to animal keeping have strongly demanded the use of very restricted white lists (of species ‘proven’ by risk assessment not to present a potential invasive
species problem) with everything else banned. Those few on the Working Group supportive of animal keeping and trade have argued strongly in favour of a limited and focused black list that would require exemptions or licensing to import/keep/trade and everything else to be kept and traded.

It is clear that at least some Member States support the idea of the use of white lists which, if implimented, would be a disaster for those keeping and/or trading in non-native species. There are also several representatives of Member States who have indicated no great enthusiasm for white lists.

The other main threat – irrespective of whether white or black lists are used – is the EU’s consideration of whether or not the same lists should be used across all EU Member States or whether there could be separate lists by country or by biogeographic area. Having a single list for the entire EU would present keepers and traders with immense problems since clearly many more species could potentially become established in say the Canary Islands or Cyprus than could in Germany
or Finland. Hence a single unified list could easily see the prohibition of a species like the Corn Snake across all EU countries because it might be potentially invasive in southern European areas.

The pro-keeping side of the equation have secured two positions on the Prevention Working Group but it is very important that keepers organizations from countries other than the UK start to actively lobby their Governments (the animal rights groups in several EU Member States were represented at the 3rd September consultation meeting but, noticeably, not the representatives of the equivalent animal-keeping organizations).

DG-Environment on behalf of the European Commission expects to pull-together the recommendation and option documents from the three Working Groups in the summer of 2011. The consolidated document will then be put out for public comment and any revisions made with the intent of a final recommended document to be presented to the European Commission and Council of Ministers in late 2011 with legislation being enacted sometime in 2012.

This is in my view the single greatest threat to the keeping of reptiles and amphibians within the European Union that has ever emerged. Unless we, keepers, participate and represent our interests we face a very uncertain future!

Regards,

Chris Newman
Federation of British Herpetologists
Reptile & Exotic Pet Trade Association

Email: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tel: 0044 (0) 238044 0999
Mobile: 0044 (0) 7897 692060

Development of an EU Strategy on Invasive Alien Species:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... dex_en.htm

A petition has been started if anyone would like to sign it to try and show support towards keeping animals.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thank you.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Important - Possible ban on exotics? Empty Re: Important - Possible ban on exotics?

Post by gothicgurrrl Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:08 am

:O omg this is well bad

they cannot ban exotics :'(

they won't take away pets that people already own, but they will stop us getting anymore soo if i could i would get loads of exotics before the ban ever happens Sad

I really want to sign that petition but i dont know what to say in the comments box.. what do i write jordan? I will get all my friends to sign it Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Important - Possible ban on exotics? Empty Re: Important - Possible ban on exotics?

Post by Millie Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:11 am

i didn't really know what to write to be honest.

I couldn't think of anything that sounded clever, so just wrote something like 'the animals are well looked after so what is the problem?' ... probably not the best thing to say to be honest lol.

By the way, did you ACTUALLY read that they aren't going to take existing animals away from us? or are you just assuming?
Millie
Millie
Merch Shop Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:20 am

I am just assuming because when they banned 4 breeds of dogs under the dangerous dogs act thing.. they prohibited the breeding and owning of them after the legislation was issued. but people who owned them before the legislation was passed were allowed to keep them.. but i think they have to be mirco chipped and spayed etc

sooo i guess it will be the same with exotics. All the animal welfare people would go crazy if they robbed peoples pets and 'humanely' destroyed them. Or we could apply for a dangerous wild animals act license or something.

i dont understand why they would want to ban them.. if they do.. im seriously considering moving country.
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:26 am

Well it would seem odd for them to go round the country seeking every single reptile or exotic animal... not like they are going to raid everyone's house, so i guess that makes sense.

But im sure we will be prohibited from breeding them and trading them if it does go through, so they will be pets only from then on.

Hope everyone see's this and gets it signed and stuff.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:10 am

Its just another law they won't be able to enforce. They won'tgo door to door like some reptile ghestopo, they'll just bust you as the situations come up in the public eye (ie going to the vet etc.). I don't think they're gonna be able to pass this. So many other countries have tried on so many different levels and failed I'm surprised they're even attempting it.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:18 am

it does seem a bit of a silly thing to try and do with the amount of reptiles there are kept in the uk and in other eu countries lol and look at all the people they'll make unemployed by shutting down reptile shops
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:27 am

its not going to happen.. there are too many people that love reptiles. they wont allow it to happen. i will go on strike Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:03 am

Kermit wrote:Its just another law they won't be able to enforce. They won'tgo door to door like some reptile ghestopo, they'll just bust you as the situations come up in the public eye (ie going to the vet etc.). I don't think they're gonna be able to pass this. So many other countries have tried on so many different levels and failed I'm surprised they're even attempting it.

Yes i thought this don't worry, i doubt its ever going to happen as such.

But they can certainly ban the breeding and trading of non-native animals.
Its not just reptiles.

I know its not much to worry about too much, but its best to sign the petition and take a bit of action to be safe Smile
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum