Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homemade Viv Dimensions?

2 posters

Go down

Homemade Viv Dimensions? Empty Homemade Viv Dimensions?

Post by lukeh1992 Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:22 am

I'm now starting the plans for my new viv for Lizzie and Frankie, and I'm not too sure on the dimensions i will need to house them both, with a divider for a male leo in the other half if possible? (if a divider is not recommended then i will house a male in the old viv i am currently using)

Would you also be able to add the heating equipment recommended (heat mat, lighting, thermostat/rheostat, thermometers etc.) for the dimensions provided, so i can also calculate the cost of the entire project.

Also, if anyone has any links to/their own guides which i could follow for this project, please could you include those too.

All help would be much appreciated and thank you in advance Very Happy

lukeh1992

Status Status : I got a whopping 1 point in this weeks quiz :')
LGF Points LGF Points : 194

https://www.facebook.com/lukeh1992

Back to top Go down

Homemade Viv Dimensions? Empty Re: Homemade Viv Dimensions?

Post by Kermit Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:10 pm

If you're making a custom viv I would recommend dimensions of a 40 gallon long aquarium... 48 inches long x 12 inches wide x 16 inches tall. You can easily divide that in half with a piece of tinted acrilic panels or you can even get opaque white plastic dividers for rabbit cages order from on line or at the ahrdware store cut to size. You just ask for 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick white plastic sheeting or tinted or a variety of other colors it could come in. White or opaque would likely be best to avoid visual agitation if you house 2 males next to eachother. You silicon that divider into the middle of the tank crossing the width, and you can use the same heat mat to heat BOTH halves. You go slightly oversized, for 48 inch long I'd suggest 11x23 - 11x29 placed so the divider you installed is splitting it evenly in half. Ultratherm makes a good heat mat that is water resistant so it can safely be used inside your viv. All you have to do is put some stone tiles over it to act as a bit of a buffer zone. Your viv would be 12 inches wide and that is the width of most standard stone flooring tiles... you could make a false floor super easy. We did this for my son's ball pythons tank and it works great.

Since this is for a leo you don't need to accomodate for lights. If you do the false bottom like mentioned you shouldn't need to add supplimental heat via lighting. If you do. all you have to do is cut a hole in the top of the viv, make sure the hole is at least 2 inches bigger in circumference than the dome light you'll be using. Take a piece of wire mesh (like really heavy screen) and a staple gun and staple that on the inside of the viv lid. If you worry about wire rough edged scracthing your leo you can tape over the edges with some duct tape (kind of taco the wire between folded tape and then staple it up there). make sure no tape is exposed to the dome light you use. You can custom drill holes where you need to accomodate wires, probes etc, but remember to go back in and fill in the gaps with expanding foam filler that I think it's called "Great stuff" used to seal windows. that way your leo can't escape via your wire holes. Let this dry 2-3 days before putting your leo back in the viv.

You'll need
1 sheet of 4 foot x 8 foot ply wood. cut 3 pieces 48"x12 inches (1 for the top, bottom, and back side). Cut 2 pieces into 16 inch squares for the ends.
3 pieces of 2x4 lumber 48 inches long, 8 pieces cut about 14 inches long for the short sides and upwards supports.
1 piece of plexi glass (for the front viewing) 48 inches long by 16 inches tall.
4 stone tiles (slate, granite, marble) for the floor (on top of the wood floor).
4- 1 inch tiles to act as feet for the 12x12 tile to sit on top of. Provides a bit of a gap for the uth to breathe.
1 small can of "great stuff" or other expandable foam filler. MAKE SURE YOU LET IT DRY. 2-3 days.
1 uth sized appropriately, 11x23 - 11x29.
1 piece 1/4-1/2 inch thick ridgid plastic sheeting cut 16x16 inches but you'll want to double check your measurements once the whole thing is together before you cut your divider panel since the inner dimensions are going to vary.
1 tube aquarium safe silicon glue/adhesive.
1 - 3 foot roll of wire mesh. (or smaller if you can find it. You'll only need 2 circles about 10-12 inches in diameter) .
1 pint wood sealer for the interior of the viv. (2 if you want to do in and out) Again this has to COMPLETELY dry before you can put your leo in there. Read the back of the can and see what it's heat tolerance is. It should be over 120*F. before it reaches it's flash point.
1 staple gun and staples.
2 digital heat probes
at least 3-4 hides per side so that would be 6-8 hides home made or otherwise.
food (unless your tong feeding) and water bowls for both sides as well.

I think that's it.

Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lukeh1992 Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:30 pm

That was exactly the detail i needed for this, thank you ever so much for putting the time and effort into writing that for me Very Happy

i'll be housing frankie and lizzie in one half, and hopefully a male Diablo Blanco in the other half, and i can keep the old viv for future breeding if i do decide to go into it, or another male leo Smile

i think i have the 'leo bug' I love you

lukeh1992

Status Status : I got a whopping 1 point in this weeks quiz :')
LGF Points LGF Points : 194

https://www.facebook.com/lukeh1992

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:32 am

Glad I could help Smile I'm one of those muti talented lil units Wink
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down