Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Apparently it's hard to switch from mice to rats?

5 posters

Go down

Apparently it's hard to switch from mice to rats? Empty Apparently it's hard to switch from mice to rats?

Post by Kodieh Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:20 am

I had no problem, first meal was a jumbo mouse; took it down like a champ. Second meal was a rat pup, took it down even better. I need to get scales, or take my snake some where to weigh it or the mouse; find out weights of the food. I'm not trying to power feed or anything, but my bp has a defined triangle shape right now. I can't wait to fatten him up. I'll deff be sure to get pictures asap.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Apparently it's hard to switch from mice to rats? Empty Re: Apparently it's hard to switch from mice to rats?

Post by Carmella Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:36 pm

I read in another post that your ball is 2 ft? It should be eating bigger than a large mouse or rat pup. I would worry more about getting your ball on the right size rat than moving it to F/T. I have ALOT of balls, morphs and normals and they all eat like champs. Never had a problem with any ball ive ever had. They are great pets
Carmella
Carmella
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 360

Back to top Go down

Apparently it's hard to switch from mice to rats? Empty Re: Apparently it's hard to switch from mice to rats?

Post by Kodieh Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:40 pm

I personally thought the food size was a bit small, but I haven't really found a "snake this big = mouse this big" sort of thing.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:04 pm

from what i've been taught you feed your snake acording to the size of its head not its lenght and we currently have 2royals that wont change from mice to rats no matter what we try.
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:43 am

I also think that the two weeks my guy wouldn't try F/T played a factor in the "LOOK FOOD" mindset that helped out. Wink
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Carmella Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:49 am

main thing about a snake is that its jaws are not connected so it can take an meal much bigger than its head. You should be feeding a snake according to girth not the size of its head. You are under feeding if your feeding according to the size of its head.
Carmella
Carmella
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Carmella Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:51 am

If your snake wont take a rat. Stop feeding it for a bit. Then go back scent the rat as a mouse and feed it to you snake live. Has that been tried out?
Carmella
Carmella
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:58 am

There's nothing wrong with feeding your bp food that is smaller than its ideal sized prey. You'll just end up feeding more of them Smile the theory on prey size is nothing bigger than the largest girth of your bp so if the rat pup is the same circumference (or a bit smaller) as the widest part of your bp your fine. The gerbils we feed loki certainly aren't the proper size for him but that's why he eats 3-4 a feeding. Sometimes esp. With young snakes larger prey is very intimidating even when f/t. Loki has only ever eaten 1 juvie rat in te 4 years we've owned him. Aside of that its been mice and then started this season on gerbils.

The main thing is to make sure you're offering food on a regular schedule, and enough of it. I don't like to feed until loki refuses food, don't want to start that problem of forcing him to refuse food, so I'd rather stop feeeding after he's had a reasonable amount and possibly leave him a little hungry for the next feeding the following week.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:52 am

feeding live food is ilegal in the uk so no never tryied live food.

here's a question for you then, i have a 2010 male cinnamon weighting just under 500g that wont eat anything but small mice from a curtain breeder of frozen food, we have tryied withholding food, scenting rats with mice, brain exposing, multi-mammates(african soft rts/mice) and force feeding him but he just wont take anything other than these small mice all he does is strike and take the new food then leaves it. any other ideas on what i could try thats legal in the uk?
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:29 am

Are you serious? You can't feed live prey to your own snake? That's about the silliest thing I've ever heard. All I can say is loki was notoriously picky with eating until we started using gerbils. He won't eat f/t anything but he's been snapping these up left n right since coming out of brumation. The best advice I can offer is screw the law and try live feeding something. Mice or gerbil... but aren't cinnamons notorious for not being good eaters... or is that spiders? We just kept ofering food on a regular schedule till eventually he took it when he was ready. Maybe you could try rabbit kits.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:40 am

The local large pet chains aren't allowed to sell you a live mouse if, before they sell it to you, know that you plan on feeding it to another animal. I was like...you sell the snake? But I can't buy live food from you? What?

Any way, to measure the girth do I just do a top to bottom or circumference?
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:12 am

You do the circumference of the girth.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:51 am

yep im serious kel, if your caught feeding live food in the uk they'll take the snake off you & give you a fine Smile and yes cinnamons are very well know for there lack of feeding and being very picky Smile and unfortunately he's too small to take a gerbil or hamster so i guess im stuck with feeding him 3/4 small mice everyweek Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:16 am

Aw sam that sucks Sad hopefully he picks up soon, hits a growth spurt n you can switch him to something more desireable... or just feed him live on the down low Wink
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:50 am

yeah i hope so kel as feeding 3/4 a time is a pain Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:53 am

Yeah, and if you don't feed the snake then you are gonna be in trouble for that....(of course) Rolling Eyes

It's like I can't have dubia roaches here in Canada to feed to my reptiles....
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:15 pm

Went with a small rat this time, took 9 minutes once he started eating it. Looks like we found our stride thumbs up
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Carmella Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Thats great! Was it live, fresh killed or F/T?
Carmella
Carmella
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:12 pm

Live, we know e goes for live and it doesn't bother me to do it. Haha.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down