Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My new rescue

4 posters

Go down

My new rescue Empty My new rescue

Post by kathstew Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:26 pm

Hey all. I just got a leo about 2 days ago. Long story short, she was in horrible conditions, so I got to take her, and she is now going to live with me. Thing is, they didn't know ANYTHING about leos, so the poor thing was deprived most of its life. It didn't have a heater, OR a moist hut, as well as many other things she should have had. The neighbors gave me her set-up, but I ended up having to get rid of a lot of it, and buying stuff she needed that I could afford right now.
Here's a list of stuff I currently have (and a picture), I want to make sure I now have everything she needs:
-tank (its not the right size or shape, I'm saving for a better one)
- UTH that takes up about 1/3 of the tank
-1 hidey hole
-repti-carpet
-water dish
-crickets
-waxworms
-calcium supplement & bowl for it
-1 moist hide-out
-a few rocks to climb on
-a red light that provides more heat
(the tank is in my basement and its a bit cool down there)

I think thats everything I have. The tank she came with is completely wrong. I know that leos need a 10 gallon tank, and I'm guessing that this tank is but it isn't long enough for her. As soon as I can, she is getting a longer tank.
Other than the tank, I know I need a thermometer. Any one have a good brand of thermometer?
My new rescue P7050482-1
I took the cactus out of there, the stupid crickets would climb up it, and she wouldn't be able to get them.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated, I want my new gal to thrive not just survive.
(By the way, this is my first time owning a reptile, but I've had other pets before)
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

My new rescue Empty Re: My new rescue

Post by smsararas2 Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:13 am

Kudos on taking on a rescue as your first reptile. I take rescues now but not my first one. All right, it sounds like you are doing pretty good. Personally I prefer not to use reptile carpet because I find when they attack their food they can get their teeth stuck in the little fibers, but that is just my opinion. It is an acceptable substrate. I would suggest paper towel or tile, either slate or vinyl. Reptile carpet is a much better choice though than many others Very Happy .

The UTH is perfect, I am just wondering the temperature on the floor in the warm hide. Most of us use a thermometer with a probe that we can tape to the floor so that we have an accurate temperature because leopard geckos use belly heat to digest their food, so it is important that the temperature be kept between 90 and 98 degrees. The brand does not really matter as long as it has a probe. I can usually get mine for 10.00 at Canadian tire, Home Depot, those kinds of places.

If you are going to leave crickets in the tank with him I would put a carrot or something in there so the crickets have something to eat. If they do not, they may try and snack on your leo and yes your leo will just sit there and let them do it. Most of us prefer to put in crickets and leave them for maybe 30 minutes so your leo has time to eat and then take out what they have not eaten to avoid the crickets tormenting or stressing out your little one.

Other than that you seem to be doing great. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you need and want. There are many knowledgeable people on here who are willing to help as much as we can! thumbs up
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:14 am

http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t166-proper-housing-for-leopard-geckos

Here is some reading for you. It is the preferred husbandry for leos and can help answer some questions too...of course still ask whatever you would like.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:56 am

Me personally, I pull all my tank accessories out when I feed crickets so theres just the leo, the crickets, and open hunting ground.

Agreed, the tank is pretty small, a cheap ~20 dollar tank from somewhere like walmart would be a good fit for the little guy/gal.

I don't know if you've mentioned, or someone else has, but the waxies are treats not a staple; other than that, you're one fine keeper so far!
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks y'all for the replies, I truly appreciate it!

I'm probably going to take the repticarpet out, because as mentioned in another thread I started, it can harbour bacteria, which isn't good especially because she dropped her tail shortly before I got her. Once its healed, I may go back to it, and eventually I will be switching to tile. Taking things slow at the moment!

I will definitely get a thermometer ASAP. I will check home depot, canadian tire, anyplace till I find a good one! I will let you know on the temp. once its checked. Right now I have the warm hide ONTOP of the repticarpet, do you think I should put the container off the repticarpet and right on the glass so its closer to the UTH giving it more warmth, because right now just feeling it, it doesn't feel very warm...

I think I may get a "feeding containter" (I've heard it mentioned throughout the forum), so the crickets can't hide on the rocks and caves, as well as leaving more hunting space, as Kodieh mentioned (THANK YOU!)

Thank you for the link, it was a great read, and I now have an image of what I'd like my tank to look like one day...

As soon as I can, I am DEFINITELY updating her to a nice long tank! Unforunately I spent most of my money on the other supplies I needed, so once I get a hold of some cash she is going to be completely spoiled!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:55 pm

Glad to hear things were helpful kathryn... we love putting people down the right path for proper care for their pets. In some way they're all like a little bit of our own Very Happy Some of the improvements you'd like to make are pretty inexpensive. Most tiles generally run between $3-$6 a piece so you really wouldn't be paying any more than the repti carpet would cost you. Not to mention the sanitary issues are soooo much easier with tiles... simply wipe with a santi wipe, let dry and voila... nice clean habitat Very Happy .

As far as putting the hide directly on the tank floor you likely should have a little buffer there like a section of paper towles just in case your uth has a hot spot which many can since they use sub par heating elements generally. Copper wiring in the uth is generally the most reliable consistant heating element to use but I only know of a couple uth manufacturers that use it.

If you're putting your hand on the repti carpet and feeling a heat difference then your tank is at least 98.6*F as that is our body temperature and if it can register as hotter than you may be a little too high for your leo's comfort. Getting that probe thermometer is gonna be KEY and around $6-$10 at the places you mentioned.

Also as far as finding her a new longer viv, craigs list is an awesome place to look for second hand tanks. you can usually find them for a fraction of the price pet shops are asking. Also most pet shops that sell fish often keep tanks in back that they can no longer use as they won't hold water for some reason or another... they will usually sell those at a discounted price if you ask about them.

I see future spoiling happening a lot sooner rather than later Very Happy My viv set up cost next to nothing... recycled tank, field collected all the stone and bark myself so free there and the only things I paid for was the uth, tiles and thermometer for an approximate grand total of $40.00 american Smile
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep asking questions, we LOVE it thumbs up
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down