Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

shredded aspen

4 posters

Go down

shredded aspen  Empty shredded aspen

Post by SuperGecko Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:47 pm

i want to know if i could use shredded aspen that can be digested for a leopard gecko im getting soon

SuperGecko

LGF Points LGF Points : 115

Back to top Go down

shredded aspen  Empty Re: shredded aspen

Post by smsararas2 Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:19 pm

aspen is not a good substrate for a leo. It would not be digested and would be difficult to pass for them. The best substrate for them is slate tile, newspaper, or even just as simple as paper towel. I use paper towel for my breeders that I keep in my bins but my pets I keep on vinyl peel and stick tiles from the dollar store.

Anything loose like sand, aspen, and wood chips is not the best for them as they will eat it and may get impacted from it where they won't be able to pass what they have eaten.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperGecko Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:28 pm

sadly i used all my money up and we dont have paper towels and i just got it

SuperGecko

LGF Points LGF Points : 115

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:46 pm

You can return it and shame on the store for selling it to you for a herp (if they knew you were buying it for a herp) more importantly when using wood chips the oils that they have in them, the oils that make the aroma is very harsh to their delicate respratory systems and could cause breathing problems. These are desert animals, wood chips is not a natural substrait for them and it would cause your leo undue stress.

There is a great sticky thread in the housing section that goes into all teh appropriate different types of substrait and how to set up the perfect viv for your leo. Maybe you'd like to check it out.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:13 am

A while ago, back when i didnt have as much animals and had the time to do things like this, i actually tested out a few loose substrate's.

Amazingly i found aspen to be one of the safest of the lot, its definitely a lot better than sands.
I definitely don't suggest using it instead of tile or kitchen towels.
And i don't condone it one bit, but overall its one of the best loose substrates there is.

Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:32 am

Aspen can be safe if it is truly aspen tho jordan. A lot of the problems I have encountered using a variety of wood chips for various herps and in my rabbitry is that in the states something marked as aspen bedding can have a mixture of pine in there as well so not always a true aspen bedding.

So what I do, since it is a suggested substrait for my sons ball python is I have taken a mix of large bark chips (as balls are forest floor swellers) and mixed in the bark chips and the aspen shavings so that there was a nice mix of more bark chips to less aspen and that seems to offset any issues that come from the reptile breathing in the wood chip fumes.

Again tho neither is a truly natural substrait for leos tho, and you should try to simulate the natural environment, the rocky packed earth deserts to which leos are found.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum