Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do morphs work when bred?

4 posters

Go down

How do morphs work when bred? Empty How do morphs work when bred?

Post by ThyUnholy Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:03 am

So what if I bred my SHTCT with, I don't know, a Super Snow, what would it turn as? How does it work in general? What's the whole "het" thing?
ThyUnholy
ThyUnholy
Loyal Member

Status Status : Gecko has some good colors coming in.
LGF Points LGF Points : 345

Back to top Go down

How do morphs work when bred? Empty Re: How do morphs work when bred?

Post by Kodieh Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:11 am

I'm fairly certain you would come out with Mack Snows with that combo. As for why, I'm not really sure.

As for that "het thing", het or heterozygous means that the animal is a carrier for say albino(NOTE: this is an example, animals can be het for just about anything; for example my het RAPTOR). So, when you breed an albino to a het for albino (making sure not to mix albino strains) you'll get more albinos and no hets; because both animals are carriers for the albino gene. I'm not sure how old you are, but I know last year I learned about genetics in Biology I in college. Smile
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by ThyUnholy Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:20 am

So what happens if a normal is bred to a het for albino?

Or is it that if it's het for something and you breed something of the same morph, you'll just get more of that morph per breeding season?
ThyUnholy
ThyUnholy
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:03 am

ThyUnholy wrote:So what happens if a normal is bred to a het for albino?

Or is it that if it's het for something and you breed something of the same morph, you'll just get more of that morph per breeding season?
A normal bred to a het for albino will create a certain percentage. If 100% het albino to normal will make 50% het albinos.

Yes, a het for albino bred to albino will make more albinos.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ThyUnholy Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:55 am

Kodieh wrote:
ThyUnholy wrote:So what happens if a normal is bred to a het for albino?

A normal bred to a het for albino will create a certain percentage. If 100% het albino to normal will make 50% het albinos.

Yes, a het for albino bred to albino will make more albinos.

So if you breed 50% het for albino with 100% het for Mack Snow, would it make something that is 25% het for albino and 50% for Mack Snow?
ThyUnholy
ThyUnholy
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:57 am

I'm not particularly sure about that. Generally you don't have hets for Mack snow, since it's a dominant gene.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:02 am

When talking hets it's important to know what the genetics behind the morphs are, as they aren't all the same. Albinos are a recessive trait, you can only get albinos by both parents passing on that recessive gene. So in order for the offspring to be visual albino, both parents have to be albinos or het albinos. Otherwise if you only have 1 parent being albino or het albino, then you would get more het albinos.

Mack snows on the other hand, is a co-dominant trait. This means that the offspring can display the trait with just 1 parent being a mack snow. The offspring will be either a mack snow or not a mack snow, there's no het for mack snow.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ThyUnholy Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:03 am

Kodieh wrote:I'm not particularly sure about that. Generally you don't have hets for Mack snow, since it's a dominant gene.

I was just throwing ideas around to try to get a better understanding. Seems a little not so confusing now having talked to you.

Planning on maybe getting a female for Gecko to breed with, but not until I have contacts to sell any unwanted leos or give to family members and close friends. About to go over to the breeding section to ask some questions. Thanks for the help.
ThyUnholy
ThyUnholy
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ThyUnholy Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:06 am

Mardy wrote:When talking hets it's important to know what the genetics behind the morphs are, as they aren't all the same. Albinos are a recessive trait, you can only get albinos by both parents passing on that recessive gene. So in order for the offspring to be visual albino, both parents have to be albinos or het albinos. Otherwise if you only have 1 parent being albino or het albino, then you would get more het albinos.

Mack snows on the other hand, is a co-dominant trait. This means that the offspring can display the trait with just 1 parent being a mack snow. The offspring will be either a mack snow or not a mack snow, there's no het for mack snow.

Thanks for the additional info. Very Happy
ThyUnholy
ThyUnholy
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:08 am

Like Mardy said, you start getting into dominant, co-dominant, and recessive genes. So, that has to be considered when pairing.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ThyUnholy Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:43 am

As of this time, breeding would be too much for me. I will slowly educate myself over time with the subject. Thanks for the help.
ThyUnholy
ThyUnholy
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:57 am

It makes it easier to ignore morph's and gene's you don't like and focus on either what you want to obtain or what combo's you can make with what you already have. Smile
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ThyUnholy Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:13 am

Kodieh wrote:It makes it easier to ignore morph's and gene's you don't like and focus on either what you want to obtain or what combo's you can make with what you already have. Smile

I think I have an idea, it's just getting everything and having the space to do everything at. Next leo I get will probably be one to breed with him when I do have everything ready and I feel that I'm ready.
ThyUnholy
ThyUnholy
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:21 am

Preparation is the key, and I applaud you for recognizing that you're not ready. When the time comes, it'll be more rewarding because you'll have everything ready. thumbs up
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:45 am

The percentage of het merely means that is how much chance the animal has for being het for that gene. The percentage doesn't affect the outcome of the pairing in anyway.

First off, let me explain how a gecko can be considered 50% het. I'll use Albino as the exmaple.

So you got two parents, one Het Albino, one Normal and you breed them together.

50% of the offspring, will be het Albino. Now due to the fact that it is impossible to see which animal is het and which isn't they are all considered to have a 50% chance of being het for albino, henced coined 50% het Albino.

Now regarding breeding these on, the 50% percent doesn't affect the percentages of the pairing that these then go on to.
Now remember, that the gecko has 50% chance of being het for the gene, so they are either het for it, or they aren't and thats the only factor which will affect the outcome. The percentage has no bairing on the percentage of albino's other than the fact that the breeding gecko may NOT be het Albino, since there is only a 50% chance.

Hope that makes sense thumbs up
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ThyUnholy Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:13 am

Jordan wrote:The percentage of het merely means that is how much chance the animal has for being het for that gene. The percentage doesn't affect the outcome of the pairing in anyway.

First off, let me explain how a gecko can be considered 50% het. I'll use Albino as the exmaple.

So you got two parents, one Het Albino, one Normal and you breed them together.

50% of the offspring, will be het Albino. Now due to the fact that it is impossible to see which animal is het and which isn't they are all considered to have a 50% chance of being het for albino, henced coined 50% het Albino.

Now regarding breeding these on, the 50% percent doesn't affect the percentages of the pairing that these then go on to.
Now remember, that the gecko has 50% chance of being het for the gene, so they are either het for it, or they aren't and thats the only factor which will affect the outcome. The percentage has no bairing on the percentage of albino's other than the fact that the breeding gecko may NOT be het Albino, since there is only a 50% chance.

Hope that makes sense thumbs up

Yeah, it makes plenty of sense. I think I got it now.
ThyUnholy
ThyUnholy
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down