Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone actually ever tried Pinkies?

3 posters

Go down

Has anyone actually ever tried Pinkies? Empty Has anyone actually ever tried Pinkies?

Post by agactinggirl Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:54 am

I've read in books that pinkies are actually okay to feed to Leos. I've never tried it, but I wonder if anyone else here has. I know with Van, it needs to be alive and moving before he'll even notice it, so I would have to move it around like some have to do with snakes. Anyway, let me know if anyone has tried feeding their Leo a pinkie mouse.
agactinggirl
agactinggirl

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 19

Back to top Go down

Has anyone actually ever tried Pinkies? Empty Re: Has anyone actually ever tried Pinkies?

Post by Badasprog Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:16 am

i've tried, mella loves them but we dont give them to her that much
Badasprog
Badasprog

Status Status : :D
LGF Points LGF Points : 171

http://www.teammarshall.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Has anyone actually ever tried Pinkies? Empty Re: Has anyone actually ever tried Pinkies?

Post by Kermit Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:08 am

Leos are opportunistic eaters in the wild and will on occasion eat the stray pinky, but they are insectavors and aren't completely designed for the digestion of bone. Their stomach acid is on the weaker side as far as acids go. Usually it is generally only recommended for laying females that need a boost to give ONE pinky during the breeding season but I know plenty that make it through just fine with out ever eating a pinky in their lives. There really is no need to feed pinkies imo with the wide array of bugs out there that are nutritious and much easier to digest for your leo. This is one of those topics that is always up for debate... there's many people who say it's fine, others that say never do it... best thing to do imo is go with what you know about leos and their nature and what the majority of their diet consists of, make an educated decision to avoid potential disaster.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by agactinggirl Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:08 am

Yeah I had no intention of ever feeding Van a pinkie...I was just wondering if people had done it...since there wasn't a discussion (that I saw) about it, I thought I would just start it.

It didn't seem like a good idea, but like I said, all books that I have read said it was okay on occasion...but he likes his insects...don't fix what isn't broken
agactinggirl
agactinggirl

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:21 am

thumbs up 2 that's right sister Smile not saying that there isn't the odd occasion where a pinky would be helpful, esp. for a leo of Van's size but that is few and far between imo.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down