Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breeding

3 posters

Go down

Breeding Empty Breeding

Post by ClubHerp Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:21 am

I was wondering if there was anything i can do to help them breed or to make them go into breeding mode like cooling the cage or something like that
ClubHerp
ClubHerp

Status Status : Breeding time
LGF Points LGF Points : 90

Back to top Go down

Breeding Empty Re: Breeding

Post by Kermit Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:28 am

Just let nature take it's course... if you know your female is ovulated/ovulating she should be receptive. For beginner breeders I would also suggest reading this sticky... it will really help you know whether or not you're prepared to undertake breeding leos: http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t2230-should-i-breed-questions-to-ask-yourself
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ClubHerp Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:36 am

I have researched this for a year now i think i know how to breed them. But i'll read it anyways never hurt to learn more.
ClubHerp
ClubHerp

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:59 am

Cooling can be used to stimulate a winter>spring cycle to trigger a female's ovulation. But not many breeders do it, as they do it naturally. They are ready when they are ready so to speak.

When you cool you pretty much lower their tank temperature down to 70 degrees and deprive them of food for 4-6 weeks. After that you raise the temperature and start providing food again.

But personally I say let them get ready naturally. I know the feeling of wanting to breed and wanting the female to ovulate. Sometimes a female isn't ovulating because she's not ready physically. This is indeed the start of the breeding season so your female should naturally start ovulating soon if she isn't already. If she's not ovulating, then maybe she's not old enough yet, or she's just not ready.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ClubHerp Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:04 am

I know that your not suppose to cross the 3 morphs of albino and that it takes the eggs 40-60 days before hatching and i know the temp. the should be incubated at and that as soon as a female is gravid she will lay her first clutch in 2-4 weeks and then most likely the rest of the clutches will be laid 2-3 weeks after the previous clutch and my friend own his own reptile shop and he said if i can't sell the babies he will take them of my hand and he gives me alot of advice and when im at school my mom takes care of my leo's and i have told her everything she needs to know im very experienced but nobody could know everything not even you.

This comment is meant for kermit

Last edited by ClubHerp on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mistake)
ClubHerp
ClubHerp

Back to top Go down

Post by ClubHerp Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:06 am

My female is 3 years old and weighs 50g and my male is 2 and a half years old and he also weighs 50g
ClubHerp
ClubHerp

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:11 am

Age wise they are ready, but I prefer over 50g for females to start breeding. You are expecting them to drop 10-20g during the breeding season. If you subtract that from 50, that's a pretty low weight for any adult geckos.

If you can, pack on some weight on the female, try to get her to be 55-60g. If she's still eating then I wouldn't change a thing, just feed her for now and see if she can gain some weight. Females tend to pig out before breeding season as they know they need the extra nutrients to develop eggs. They also go off food once they start ovulating so they do lose weight during the breeding seasons.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:38 am

I agree that nobody, except maybe Ron Tremper, knows everything about leos, but the things you're asking are very basic breeding questions... such as what it means to cull, whether or not you should brumate your leo, and the several other posts you've made on the baords about breeding. I'm not as forgiving as Mardy is... I think that people who want to breed should have the knowledge and understanding of the animals they're getting involved with before ever attempting to breed them, which I'm sorry but it sounds like you should be spending some time reading the past threads in the breeding section hon. Then if you can answer every question in the sticky of what to consider and ask yourself before breeding THEN you might be ready to breed.

A lot of kids that come onto the forum want to breed, whether they think it'll make them lots of money (which you won't) or whether it's just to have the experience, but these are live animals you're playing with that CAN and do get hurt when improperly bred. What you stated as far as your knowledge goes is the very basic stuff. I mean I don't mean to sound like a tyrant or the "anti-breeder, but we can't and shouldn't have to spoon feed all the information some one needs about breeding when they claim to have studied for a year and should know these things. I'm sorry I just have nostomach for it. In my line of business and in my rabbitry we have a VERY strict code of wethcis for breeders wanting to get into the field. You mentor under an EXPERIENCED breeder for a year, you study yourself for a year before even getting a mentor, you pass tests... not just pick up 2 animals and have at it. Sorry it is just morally outrageous to me that some one would do that.

I know a lot of this seems directed just at you but honestly it isn't. We see sooooo many beginner breeders wanting to get into the hobby with very little knowledge or realization of the potential disaster that can come of breeding. It takes more than a male and a female to breed successfully. Are you willing to take the risk? Put your animals inharms way for the possibility of getting a successful clutch? It just involves so much more than putting 2 animals together is all and more often than not we see too many people with too little knowledge who have already bred their animals and now want to know what to do.

Sorry... rant over...
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ClubHerp Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:07 pm

Well i totally agree with you that young breeders that have little to known knowledge of leo's shouldn't be breeding but i answered every question on your sticky except for the questions on culling but now i can answer them.And wen im older i hope to be a herpetologist so right now im devoting my life to leo's and learning every thing i can.
ClubHerp
ClubHerp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down