Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hornworms

3 posters

Go down

Hornworms Empty Hornworms

Post by Dangle Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:01 pm

I noticed we didn't have hornworms nutritional values posted and thought I would add some of my findings.

Protein: 9%
fat: 3.07%
Calcium: 46.4mg/100g
Moisture: 85%

Due to the high moisture these worms don't make a good staple diet and although my leo loves them I did notice he gets diarrhea due to them. I have read mixed reviews and according to these nutritional values I don't feel I will be buying these again. They would suit a breeding female very well I assume or make a good treat but for the amount they come in that might be a waste.
Dangle
Dangle

Status Status : Working on my race car
LGF Points LGF Points : 138

Back to top Go down

Hornworms Empty Re: Hornworms

Post by Kermit Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks for the addition dangle but they were left off the list for the very reasons you mentioned, low in proten, high in moisture, can cause gi issues and can be harmful to your leo. They're controversial feeders as to whether or not they have any toxicity to them since they only eat tomato plants and the leaves and stems of tomato plant are toxic to most animals that consume them but no one has done any studies on secondary toxicity, ie the aimal that ingests the animal that ate the toxic substance so imo better left off the menu.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by peach75 Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:00 pm

There fine as long as you don't feed the ones outside. I feed them sometimes. Not as much as I feed other insects because they grow too fast.

peach75
Loyal Member

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 333

Back to top Go down

Post by peach75 Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:13 pm

peach75
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:37 pm

It says right in your link that the caterpillar eats primairly tomato leaves and I'm really skeptical about the microwaveable "cookie dough" they send. What's in it? Not likely sugar cookie or chocolate chip.

I would still be highly skeptical, if the toxicity possibility isn't a concern the fact they grow so fast and could easily choke a leo if fed a too large horn worm also scares me. I've seen too many horror stories from my chameleon forum to even consider them for a much smaller leo but again, each to their own.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangle Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:13 pm

Yeah mine came in a tub with what looks like cookie dough but doesn't smell like it. I doubt it is toxic after being fed that but to be honest they don't move at all when refrigerated. I let them out for a day to load up on their food but they grew almost twice the size. I still have small ones left but some are going to be wasted. I have fed him some that I was cautious about in size but after watching leo's eat pinkies I wasn't too worried about that size. I have about ten good ones left then he will get some crickets. They have silkworms that I want to try but I always miss the delivery at the store and they are sold by the time I get out of work. Maybe I will get lucky this week.
Dangle
Dangle

Back to top Go down

Post by peach75 Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:25 pm

Kermit wrote:It says right in your link that the caterpillar eats primairly tomato leaves and I'm really skeptical about the microwaveable "cookie dough" they send. What's in it? Not likely sugar cookie or chocolate chip.

I would still be highly skeptical, if the toxicity possibility isn't a concern the fact they grow so fast and could easily choke a leo if fed a too large horn worm also scares me. I've seen too many horror stories from my chameleon forum to even consider them for a much smaller leo but again, each to their own.

I read the ingredients before but I can't remember where. If I find it I will post it for you. this is just a picture. http://www.recorpinc.com/hornworm-chow.html

peach75
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by peach75 Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Dangle wrote:Yeah mine came in a tub with what looks like cookie dough but doesn't smell like it. I doubt it is toxic after being fed that but to be honest they don't move at all when refrigerated. I let them out for a day to load up on their food but they grew almost twice the size. I still have small ones left but some are going to be wasted. I have fed him some that I was cautious about in size but after watching leo's eat pinkies I wasn't too worried about that size. I have about ten good ones left then he will get some crickets. They have silkworms that I want to try but I always miss the delivery at the store and they are sold by the time I get out of work. Maybe I will get lucky this week.

Yea, never feed any bigger than what you feed other insects. The same thing goes. you can hold it and let him bite pieces of if you don't mind it squirting some, lol

peach75
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangle Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:16 pm

I got lucky today and picked up silkworms for Houdini and s/he devoured eight of them but they are really tiny.
Dangle
Dangle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum