Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what lights for viv

3 posters

Go down

what lights for viv Empty what lights for viv

Post by strech Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:44 pm

Ok first off i need to say i have no natural light for the tank. NO windows in room being kept in. So I am building my own tank and need to add lights for me to see in and to created a day\night cycle what lights would be the best? I was thinking of using some small led rope light or similar light would this work? As of right now the only light it is getting is a small 60watt light from the ceiling fan. Which is about 4ft away and above it.I have a small incandescent red bulb which i have been running for now to see her. oh yeah she is an albino to so i dont want to hurt her little eyes or skin.
strech
strech

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 123

Back to top Go down

what lights for viv Empty Re: what lights for viv

Post by Kermit Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:39 pm

A regular 15 or 25 watt incandescent bulb in a dome fixture well be fine to establish a day/night cycle. Led lighting might be too bright and hurt her eyes. Remember tho a 12/12 cycle year round isn't right. You'll want to adjust it with the seasons.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangle Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:11 am

LED bulbs have more lumens per wattage than almost any other bulb out there. I run an Exo Terra 25 watt incandescent sun glo and an Exo Terra 25 watt night glo bulb

Last edited by Dangle on Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Dangle
Dangle

Status Status : Working on my race car
LGF Points LGF Points : 138

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:53 am

Isn't calling something an incndescent sun glo kind of an oxymoron? Incandescent is a regular bulb that you use in any household fixture, sun glo provides a uv value (if I'm not mistaken) such as a grow bulb so which is it? Incandescent or sun glo?
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangle Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:52 am

Kermit wrote:Isn't calling something an incndescent sun glo kind of an oxymoron? Incandescent is a regular bulb that you use in any household fixture, sun glo provides a uv value (if I'm not mistaken) such as a grow bulb so which is it? Incandescent or sun glo?
That is what Exo Terra names their daylight bulb which has a minor tint to the glass instead of clear so its code for the amount of brightness the incandescent bulb gives off. Sorry if being product specific threw you off. Even a standard T5 or T25 bulb doesn't compare to the amount of lumens that an LED bulb caries if you compare them watt to watt. They might even be brighter than a metal halide so that would be the last thing you would want to shine in your leos tank.
Dangle
Dangle

Status Status : Working on my race car
LGF Points LGF Points : 138

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:33 am

http://m.pegasuslighting.com/cabinet-light-slimline-incandescent-7in-15w.html this one would be better as its only 15 watts whereas the second one you listed was 80 watts with a low high setting but even low assuming its half the wattage would be way too bright.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum