Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lacey Act and recent ban (USA)

3 posters

Go down

The Lacey Act and recent ban (USA) Empty The Lacey Act and recent ban (USA)

Post by Kodieh Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:46 am

As many of you American's may have already heard, a week or two ago four pythons (North and south rock, yellow anaconda, and the Burmese python) were added to the Lacey Act and henceforth restricted from being sold and transported across state lines. Basically it freezes the sale and transport of these four species of snakes ACROSS STATE LINES. It is needed to be clarified here that these species are not OUTLAWED to own, breed, sell, or possess these species WITHIN YOUR STATE but only OUTLAWED across STATE LINES.

Here's an interview via HerpNation with Andrew Wyatt, president of USARK. I urge you, if you're able, to support the USARK (Americans only though); for you European's I urge you to support your EUARK. We as a nation need to come together against this infringement of our rights as reptile keepers!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

The Lacey Act and recent ban (USA) Empty Re: The Lacey Act and recent ban (USA)

Post by Kermit Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:15 am

Thanks for the information kodie. While I personally feel that it is our god given constitutional right to buy, breed, sell, bartyr, trade or possess whatever our hearts desire, sometimes other factors should be looked at and considered the greater good. The lacey act, I believe, was originally enacted to stop the import of non-native invasive species that can decimate a habitat not intended to ever support them. The large exotic snakes such as anaconda, burmese, retic, etc. that are being targeted under this act are causing TONS of damage to the wetlands their irresponsible owners are dumping them in. As if dealing with alligators weren't threat enough now people in those areas have to worry about snakes large enough to eat a small child. It is the acts of irresponsible people that punish us all. Laws should be enacted to punish the guilty not the fancy as a whole but no one can come up with an enforceable plan to do this so they took the high road to protect their environment from invasive species. This argument isn't any different than breed specific legislation that is attacking dogs across the country, or animal rights groups trying to get rabbits classified as livestock so that breeders would have to get licensing thru the USDA in order to have a rabbitry and restricted to rural areas. Again punish the deed... Not the entire hobby. Finally if we can't even prevent illegal immigrants from pouring into our country by the hundreds daily WITH an established border patrol, what makes anyone think that this act can be enforced aside of making it look good on paper... Pissing millions of tax payer dollars away at making yet another unconstitutional law that can't be effectively enforced.

Last edited by Kermit on Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:18 am

I agree that the argument can be made for infestation of large constrictors in the everglades, the ironic thing is you cannot have Burmese in Florida period. It's against the law to own them. So they, as the epicenter of the problem, have taken steps against it. But, seeing that it's already outlawed in Florida I don't see this "step further" as necessary.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:04 am

Is there anything as a Canadian that I can do? I've been trying to find a petition that a Canadian can sign, and so far I have found nothing.
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:39 am

If you want to, you can support the USARK, I just meant Americans only because EUARK opperates for the EU. You can sign any petition you want.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down