Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exo Terra Snake Cave

3 posters

Go down

Exo Terra Snake Cave Empty Exo Terra Snake Cave

Post by kathstew Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:40 am

Exo Terra Snake Cave

Exo Terra Snake Cave Pt284511
The Exo Terra Snake Cave, also labeled as the Exo Terra Secure Hiding Cave, is a rock-like hide that has a lid with a small hole in it. Obviously advertised for snakes, this hide is also useful for other (smaller species) reptiles and amphibians that enjoy hiding (and how many reptiles don't like hiding?|)

The hole is an entrance/exit for your reptile/amphibian to climb through to get in and out of the hide. The lid can easily be taken off to allow full view of the interior of the hide. Within the hide, the floor is flat and there is plenty of space for your reptile to spread out. The cave itself looks convincingly like a large rock, which fits well with a natural leopard gecko vivarium.

I bought this cave during a boxing day sale at one of my local pet stores for $11.99 (regularly priced $19.99). The cave comes in three sizes; small, medium and large. I bought the small size and it comfortably fits my 6 month old leopard geckos. I may need to upgrade to a larger size as they get older though.

The first few days I had the cave, my leopard geckos couldn't figure out what it was. They would climb on it, sit on it, but could NOT figure out how to get into it. Finally I put one of my leopard geckos in it, with the lid on. She loved it! She wouldn't come out, and when I tried to take her out, she hunkered herself into the corner of the cave so I couldn't get a hold of her. Now, both of my leopard geckos regularly go into the cave. I find it extremely cute when they poke their head out of the cave to check out whats going on, but they won't come out completely!
Exo Terra Snake Cave Pc291911
The floor of the cave is a bit thick (an inch or two), but heat does come through fairly easily. Placed on the hot side of my tank, the inside of the cave warmed up a few degrees above air temperature. I found my geckos preferred having this half on and half off the heat pad.

With this cave, I only found two downsides. One was the size of the hole used for the entrance/exit. It isn't small enough to cause me worry about my leopard geckos getting stuck, but it is something I need to be aware of so I can replace the hide when my leopard geckos get bigger. The other downside I found was the cost. I found $20.00 for a small cave that my leopard geckos are going to be growing out of a bit much. I had been eyeing the cave for a while, and only bought it because it was on sale.

I recommend this cave for the smaller species of reptiles such as leopard geckos, african fat tails, anoles, etc.

Over all score: 8 out of 10

BY kathstew
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Exo Terra Snake Cave Empty Re: Exo Terra Snake Cave

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:47 am

Great Review Kath! Smile

I've seen these in the pet shop and always wondered if my leos would like them Smile .. but they are very expensive. You've tempted me more into wanting to buy one and see Very Happy Grumpy is quite small so it would be great for him!

gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:38 am

I got Stella one of these for her lay box/humid hide, and she seems to like it! I was worried she wouldn't figure out the entrance on the top, but she got in it by herself when I checked on her today. Smile She enjoys resting her chin right on the entrance, so she can creep on me more easily.

I got the medium, and it's a little bulky but the hole is the perfect size for an adult leo to go through and it gives her lots of digging room. It holds a couple inches of coco fiber. It is rather tall though, so if you use paper towels for your humid hide then it might be a good idea to put a little rock inside so they can step on it to climb out.

I work at a pet store so I only paid $12 for mine with employee discount, but you can get them on Amazon for $15: http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Terra-Snake-Cave-Medium/dp/B000HHOAD4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327948513&sr=8-2
Jess
Jess

Status Status : :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 302

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down