Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slef Adhesive Tiles

4 posters

Go down

Slef Adhesive Tiles Empty Slef Adhesive Tiles

Post by Jess Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:16 am

It seems that the general consensus on this forum is that the high-quality ones are safe. But on the bearded dragon forum that I'm on, everyone just says how dangerous the fumes from the glue can be. I Googled it too, and some people say they work well but others say it will kill your reptiles.

Do you guys have any links/research on the safetly of them? I want a new substrate for my beardie, and I hated using real tiles. Unless you want to do the whole grouting thing, they are just a pain IMO. I have non-adhesive linoleum right now and I like it, but I wanted some new flooring and harware stores won't let you buy just a 4x2 piece of it LOL. I thought that the adhesive tiles would be great if they are safe.

During my Home Depot expedition yesterday, here is another flooring that I came across that I though might be nice:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigation?storeId=10051&categoryID=559296&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&cm_sp=vinyl_resilient_flooring-_-visual_navigation-_-product5-_-vct_flooring

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Jess
Jess

Status Status : :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 302

Back to top Go down

Slef Adhesive Tiles Empty Re: Slef Adhesive Tiles

Post by Kermit Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:17 am

I hate to say it but the people on your bearded dragon forum haven't google searched the right things which is the adhesive and the vinyl composit on the tiles and it's "flash point" which is the temperature at which it emits off gassing and the composition of the tile starts to "melt". Most tile manufactureres list this on their label on the tile boxes, I'm pretty sure it's required.

Looking at the specifications for the tiles in the link you provided, first it's great they are low VOC, second they are NOT antimicrobial which isn't good for a reptile habitat. They will be hard to sanatize unlike sealed self adhesive vinyl tiles. Well here's what it says: all the things in red make these inappropriate for a reptile habitat.

• Antimicrobial : No
  • Assembled Depth (in.) : 108 in
  • Assembled Height (in.) : .125 in
  • Assembled Width (in.) : 60 in
  • Color Family : Beige/Bisque
  • Color/Finish : Cottage Tan
  • Commercial/Residential : Commercial/Residential
  • Coverage Area (sq. ft./case) : 45
  • Indoor/Outdoor : Indoor
  • Item Package Type : Cardboard Container
  • Manufacturer Warranty : Armstrong warrants its regular (first quality) commercial floor products to be free from manufacturing defects for five years from the date of purchase.
  • Mark Resistant : No
  • Product Length (in.) : 12 in
  • Product Thickness (in.) : 1/8 in
  • Product Weight (lb.) : 63
  • Product Width (in.) : 12 in
  • Recycled Materials (%) : 1
  • Returnable : 90-Day
  • Scratch Resistant : No
  • Shock Absorbent : No
  • Skid Resistant : No
  • Stain Resistant : No
  • Std Tst Mthd-Static Ld Lmt (lb./sq. in.) : 125
  • Style type : Tile
  • Waterproof : No

I've stated it all over the forum that the threat of off gassing from self adhesive vinyl tiles is NOT a factor for herps kept at temps under 120*F. Here's a good link for info on all types of floor tiles, it'll require you to do a lot of reading to find all that you're looking for: http://www.inspectapedia.com/sickhouse/Congoleum_Vinyl_Asbestos_Floors.htm
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:15 pm

herp625
Loyal Member

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 458

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnie Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:35 am

I love the natural coloured mosaic ones but I don't want to do any grouting I just want peel and stick mosaic-style. I will be looking into getting some when I have bought a permenant tank for all my Leo's
Marnie
Marnie
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 484

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnie Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:52 am

But the mosaic ones are only grouting ones aren't they? I haven't seen any peel and stick mosaic ones
Marnie
Marnie
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 484

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:16 pm

There are some companies that make a vinyl peel and sick mosaic, but most of the time its easier to make your own by cutting up separate pieces of tile and making the mosaic yourself. I've done it before, the trick is to not use the outside edges because they are usually beveled or rounded, cut the edges off first then it makes it easier. It is a time consuming labor intensive project.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down