Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mating season and the rattle

5 posters

Go down

Mating season and the rattle Empty Mating season and the rattle

Post by Marnie Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:39 pm

Hey guys, when is it supposed to be mating season for them? Just wondering. I was cleaning Lipsy's half of the tank because she did a poo and i didnt have anywhere else to put her really so i just moved her into Mario's half for two minutes while i put new kitchen roll down and i heard this noise and i actually thought a plane was coming from somewhere - i have never witnessed anything so effin scary in my life. My legs are still shaking, i poked him with the handle of the tweezers and he stopped. Should i have let him carry on? I get scared for Lipsy incase she cant get him off. When they were living together i witnessed her nip his foot when he was harassing her but i've never heard that noise before. I'm a bit worried that i did the wrong thing if it is mating season, should i have let them do it?
Marnie
Marnie
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 484

Back to top Go down

Mating season and the rattle Empty Re: Mating season and the rattle

Post by smsararas2 Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:58 pm

It is now mating season Marnie and it would be up to you if you let him carry on and get her pregnant. If you are not ready to care for babies though I would not let them mate. And trust me, if she didn't want him, she would let him know in no uncertain terms. My biggest boy has been turned down by girls quite a bit smaller than him and he knows to back off.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnie Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:07 pm

So if i put them together and he started vibrating his tail against the floor would that mean she has given him the okay or will it be when he tries to get on her that she tells him no? How long does mating season last, i want to get a little incubator or make one sometime this month depending on whether i need to spend any money on it or not. I have been thinking about it a lot and i was just going to put the box of egg(s) on top of a heat mat and keep it probed so i know what temperature its at. Is that alright or should i look into buying a proper incubator?
Marnie
Marnie
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:16 pm

The male will rattle the tail whenever he senses a female, it's not indication the female gave the ok, it's more like his way of saying "I want to mate". Also don't be scared when he rattles his tail, he won't bite you and it won't hurt for you to even pick him up right then to separate them. Smile

If you have witnessed the female biting the male before, it's not a good idea to just leave them together. If you are totally ready to breed, have considered everything and all, then you will want to observe them during the process especially if you've seen the female bite him before. The female will likely reject him if she's not ovulating, so if the male doesn't back off, she'll bite him. If you want to have better success at copulation, you'll want to check your female to make sure she's ovulating before introducing them.

Breeding season starts now until end of summer usually. But if you live somewhere that's warm, breeding season is pretty much year round for these geckos in captivity.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnie Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Oh cool, i would want to watch anyway haha. I only put her in because i knew i could see her so i thought it would be alright for a couple of minutes. I don't handle Mario too much, he doesnt like it. I pick him up everytime i change his kitchen roll but not every day so i dont trust him completely not to bite me thats why i poked him with tweezers :') How do i know if she's ovulating?
Marnie
Marnie
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

aww show the man some love! The tweezers are sharp and cold! Very Happy

A sure sign of ovulation is by a pink dot on her belly, usually in the middle of her belly, sometimes to the lower side. They start out looking like a lil round dot, but can develop into egg-like follicles ready to be fertilized. To check her belly an easy way is to put her in a container/cup with clear bottom. Or you could stand in front of a mirror and sorta stand her up with belly facing the mirror.

Google up "leopard gecko ovulation" and you'll see a lot of examples of what they look like.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnie Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:33 pm

Ohhhh, that looks strange. To be honest i dont know what ovulation is really - and i'm a woman! I just get confused by it all. I have to do my best to keep calm never mind pick him up :') I was freaking out i had no idea what it was. I just had a look and she just looks as though she has one pink blob where an egg should be :s i dont know if she is ovulating or not
Marnie
Marnie
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:37 pm

For humans it's having a period, you can't conceive without it. For geckos it's the same, if they are not ovulating, then there's nothing there to fertilize. And since geckos don't just do it for pleasure, that's why females would reject males often if they are not ovulating.

If you post a pic of her belly we can probably help you identify it.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnie Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:43 pm

Periods are after that arent they? I watched an episode of friends once and Monica says "i'm ovulating we have to do it now" but i got confused as to how she knew she was ovulating. Surely she didnt mean she was on her period!? Thats disgusting. I'm uploading some pictures now, she wouldnt stay still the little pain!
Marnie
Marnie
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnie Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:00 am

Sorry that took so long Smile

Mating season and the rattle Photo-4
Mating season and the rattle Photo-3
Mating season and the rattle Photo-2-1
Mating season and the rattle Photo-1-1
Mating season and the rattle Photo-2

Can you even see anything? She wouldnt stay still, going crazy because i put her in a tub :')
Marnie
Marnie
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jessmonster Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:18 am

Aww... wee bab. I can't see any ovulation though.
jessmonster
jessmonster
Loyal Member

Status Status : Hello!
LGF Points LGF Points : 374

Back to top Go down

Post by jessmonster Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:32 am

Although there is some pink... lol! i can't make up my mind!!! Smile
jessmonster
jessmonster
Loyal Member

Status Status : Hello!
LGF Points LGF Points : 374

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:33 am

It's hard to see in those photos, but on her belly on the left side there seems to be a pink egg follicle.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnie Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:06 am

Hmmm, do they ovulate once a month then like us too? I think it's best to wait till next month when i've been paid and i can make/buy an incubator. It would be nice to hatch a likkle one and raise it myself ^_^
Marnie
Marnie
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wiser Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:03 am

im pretty sure shes not yet it helps to have a light over her back when u try and look at her belly . both my male and female rattle every time one enters a hid the other is in, i have otheres that do it when they see food

wiser

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 129

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down