Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 New Geckos

2 posters

Go down

2 New Geckos Empty 2 New Geckos

Post by dsnyder18 Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:37 am

Hi there, I just got 2 new leopard geckos. Still determining the gender - I think one is female. Anyways, My one gecko climbs on everything and then jumps off repeatedly. Not sure why - just hoping nothing is wrong with her. Also, how many times a week should I feed them? I feed them every other day? That's what the guy at Petsmart told me.

Thanks!

dsnyder18

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 8

Back to top Go down

2 New Geckos Empty Re: 2 New Geckos

Post by Mardy Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:08 am

Congrats on your new leopard geckos. How old are they? If they are juveniles & sub-adults, they should be fed every day for proper growth. Geckos do majority of their growing during their first year, so they eat a lot.

Climbing and being active fine, especially when they are first introduced into a new environment. They like to go all over the place to mark their scent and figure out their boundaries. You just have to make sure your husbandry is right, with the belly heat, non-loose substrate, temperature gradient, hides, etc.. Make sure to read the guides on this forum and other sites so you know your setup is correct for your geckos. Petsmart is notorious at making you buy things you don't need, and often give you bad advice. If you post a picture or explain how you have your tank setup, folks here can probably assist you and give you suggestions.

Also are you housing 2 geckos together? 2 geckos of unknown sex should never be placed together. 2 male geckos should also never be housed together. And lastly even if you do know their sex, say they are one male one female, you still shouldn't place them in the same tank unless you are totally ready to breed. Even if you are ready to breed and are well versed with taking care of leopard geckos, the male will still reach sexual maturity earlier than the female, and will try to mate with the female. So he could really injure her and there could be fights where both geckos could get injured.

Anyways hope this helps, good luck Smile
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dsnyder18 Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:40 am

Wow that helped a lot. Thank you. I will post pictures most likely tomorrow & I'll check out other topics to make sure I'm doing everything right. How can you tell exactly how old they are? I'm new to this stufff lol.. & I know one gecko is a female, but my other one is so fast & moves so much it's so hard for me to check, but I'm going to check to make sure so they don't hurt each other. They seem to be getting along though. I guess 2 females are ok to live with each other?

Thank you for your help Smile

dsnyder18

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:35 pm

It's hard to figure out age without knowing the hatch date. But if you give us a picture, and measure the length from nose to tail tip, and the weight, we may be able to give you a guesstimate.

As for housing 2 females together, it's doable provided that:

-The females are similar in size and weight. One being larger than the other could result in bullying.

-The tank is large enough to house 2. You want at the minimum of 20 gallon long tank for 2 leopard geckos.

-You double up on the hides for them, so they each get to be alone when they want to be alone. So 2 warm hides, 2 moist hides, 2 cool hides.

-And lastly, some geckos just don't play well with others. By nature they are not communal and they don't need friends. They always do better and thrive better alone. But in captivity some can be housed together if they can tolerate another gecko. Some females are simply too feisty (I have a couple of them) and they can not be taught to live with others. So it's important to watch their behavior and watch out for any aggression, especially during feed time.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down