Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shedding AGAIN?

3 posters

Go down

Shedding AGAIN? Empty Shedding AGAIN?

Post by Immy Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi there. Rango shed his skin early last week, and usually he leaves three weeks to a month between each shed but I woke up this morning and found him shedding again!

I'm just wondering if this is normal and why it's happening? I don't know his age, as the shop keeper was unsure but he's quite a bit bigger than the other leopard gecko's I've seen in pet shops so we assumed he was an adult.
Immy
Immy

LGF Points LGF Points : 70

Back to top Go down

Shedding AGAIN? Empty Re: Shedding AGAIN?

Post by kathstew Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:26 am

Are you sure he shed completely earlier in the week?

I've read that frequent shedding can mean that the air is too dry. Do you have a humid hide in his tank? I would make sure its misted daily to add a bit of humidity to the tank for him.
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Immy Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:39 am

We do have a humid hide in there for him, but as far as I'm aware, he's never used it. He just seemed to move it around and climb on top of it.

As for misting the tank, we've tried that a few times but he didn't seem to like it much. But I think that we will definitely try that now, even if he storms off in a mood Smile
Immy
Immy

LGF Points LGF Points : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:23 am

it also depends on the age and size of the gecko. younger and smaller geckos will shed alot more often than adults...and just because you dont see your gecko shed, does not mean that it is not shedding. you cannot always tell when they are ready to shed if they are certain morphs, the lighter morphs are harder to tell, unless you have years and years of experience, it may be hard to tell. i can tell even before they go into 'blue', especially in snakes...i can tell a week before a shed cycle. but that is only because of doing it for so long, you will pick up on things that you cant even find in books, it all comes with experience. some people also have a natural 'touch' with animals, be it reptiles, dogs, cats, birds, or what ever.
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down