Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hot an cool side....

4 posters

Go down

Hot an cool side.... Empty Hot an cool side....

Post by Elz Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:13 am

Ok well i dont know what i've been missing here lol but heres a very serious question.......if i have a uth on one side of the tank am i supposed to have another one on the cool side? i mean in the tank on the cool side its always like 69-70 degrees but my leos shed and eat and grow fine so im not really sure if im supposed to put a uth over there on there cool side. in one tank i have two leos......and one of them always go under the paper towel and lay on the cool side in the am but in the pm hes in the moise hide relaxing and its the opposite for the other guy(minus going under the paper towel). In another tank i have two babies.....and on another site i had a argument with a ton of people who told me to throw my lil baby leo away because he looked dehydrated ect and he was way to skinny but funny thing is i got him at only 2 weeks old! so im going to post a pic after im done writing this in the showing off section, but in that tank the lil baby stays in the moist hide 247 unless im feeding him or hes drinking water or hes just sleeping behind it! and in the last tank is my poor paris who's tail fell off....i feel so bad but its growing back fast and he's always on both sides equally and licking up calcium lol!. Help would be appreciated thanks guys!
Elz
Elz

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 221

Back to top Go down

Hot an cool side.... Empty Re: Hot an cool side....

Post by Mardy Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:04 am

You only need an UTH on one side, which should cover 1/3 of your tank. The cool side should remain cool to give them a temperature gradient. Now if you live somewhere that's very cold, where your ambient temperature drops below 70 degrees on a consistent basis, you may need to supplement your heating needs. This is where ceramic heat emitter comes into play.

You can use a ceramic heat lamp to heat the ambient temperature of the tank, which should also raise the floor temperature a bit. If you have a gecko that goes under the paper towels, it may be because he/she is cold. So you may want to look into a ceramic heat emitter.

Whenever you have more than 1 gecko in the same tank, you will want to make sure you double up on the hides. Double warm hides, double moist hides, double cool hides. Geckos don't exactly like to lay on top of each other. So just in case you don't have double the hides for the 2 geckos in the same tank, you will want to do that. Otherwise they may dig their own hides like the one you saw going under the paper towels.

With regards to the hatchlings you purchased and the other forum, I was following it and they weren't wrong in saying if you didn't have proper husbandry ready, that you should not get the geckos. You didn't have an under tank heating pad ready for them, so they were cold for several days. That's a big no no. People over there are quite direct in saying what's on their mind. It may seem harsh at times, but they are all about leopard geckos, and they are only harsh because they care about your geckos.

I believe they criticized you because you were dissing the pet store saying how bad of a condition the geckos were in. But then you brought them home to a living condition without a heating pad. So in a way they weren't wrong to say what they said, it's just some of them could've been a bit nicer in saying it.

Anyways good luck Smile
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Elz Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:44 am

Lol mardy i posted about the leo on there literally 30 minutes after i got him! he literally went ONE DAY...actually not even SEVERAL HOURS without a heater...8 o clock the next morning i bought him a uth....they just automatically assumed i had him for many days! if you read my title it says...hey thanx petco need help...same thing i wrote in the forums here! they just continued on bashing me it wus uncalled for! and i always leave the ceramic heat lamp on for all of my guys nonstop...and your right about the hides im going to put a new one in there today thanx!
Elz
Elz

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:21 pm

i dont think they should have told you to toss him, that sounds dumb to me but i love this forum because every one i have talked to on here is very nice and even if you do something we all know is wrong we still dont attack you about it lol. but anyways im glad you are doing so much research on them, and my charm was like that a lot when she was a baby, she would mostly go into her cool hide so dont worry to much, as long as you give them what they need they should be fine, one thing i would sagest if you haven't already is to put your moist hides half on the uth and half off, my charm spends all her time in her moist hide. so it sounds like you are doing well, keep up the good work with your leos! ^_^
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Elz Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:03 am

4real mystic! And thank you so much!
Elz
Elz

Back to top Go down

Post by donnaturner Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Thank you for sharing your useful information.....

donnaturner

LGF Points LGF Points : 20

http://www.vivariumsoutlet.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down