Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phoenix Reptile Expo Raffle Win

+2
Kodieh
Tsuhei
6 posters

Go down

Phoenix Reptile Expo Raffle Win Empty Phoenix Reptile Expo Raffle Win

Post by Tsuhei Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:16 pm

Bought a few raffle tickets at the expo today...I was hoping to win something and I did!

When I walked up to the table with my friend, Echo, I thought "Cool I'm getting free equipment". I saw the lady start getting a large box ready that had a turtle playpen in it, then grab a few other things. Little did I know, one of the items was a Pictus Gecko. Adorable! But I had no idea how to care for it, what it needed, and it was SUPER tiny.

Apparently, a kid that won three raffles that day had won the other pictus gecko that was in the raffle and offered to trade me for one of his other prizes. The decision was made on a coin flip (lol), so we both walked away happy since his mom wouldn't let him have a snake. Very Happy So, here's my prize named "Hera" by Echo:

Phoenix Reptile Expo Raffle Win Dscn0598d
Phoenix Reptile Expo Raffle Win Dscn0617p
Phoenix Reptile Expo Raffle Win Dscn0611
Phoenix Reptile Expo Raffle Win Dscn0616u
Phoenix Reptile Expo Raffle Win Dscn0620m

On a funny note: The play sand that I bought for $5 per lb at the show was precleaned and wet...so I was standing over the tank with my hair dryer to get rid of the water... Razz
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Status Status : His name is Typhon!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1733

Back to top Go down

Phoenix Reptile Expo Raffle Win Empty Re: Phoenix Reptile Expo Raffle Win

Post by Kodieh Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:50 pm

That's kind of quirky. you have an animal who needs sand and an animal who needs to be off sand. XD
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:17 pm

Haha yeah isn't it funny how things work out? Razz To be honest, sand still isn't really "good" for them. It can still be ingested and impact them (Calci-sand is terrible..I'm using play sand)...however, it holds heat the best for them, helps them with their shed better, wards off humidity..blah blah. I COULD go with aspen, but there's still ingestion issues. Basically, feed outside of the cage Smile Which is fine with me...don't want it to associate my hand going inside of the inclosure as "time to eat" anyway...best way to get accidentally bitten. Wink

The one thing, though, is that I won't be showing any feeding videos of this little girl. I'm going to feed her live while she's young (no bashing please Sad it's just a better chance for her to eat and the little pinky won't see it coming..and they don't have teeth/sharp claws yet so she'll be fine until I have to upgrade her meals to hoppers). Because of this controversial way of feeding, I definitely won't be posting anything because it might upset someone. Wink

EDIT: As for the bedding, I've read up on a lot of breeders using aspen. So, as not to stress out my new reptile, I'm going to switch to aspen in a week or so. Phoenix Reptile Expo Raffle Win 131791 Might as well not risk impaction, abrasions, and possible respiratory issues (silicon and dust). Too risky, wouldn't you say?
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:54 pm

lovely little sand boa Smile we used to a have a adult one just like that Smile we used to keep ours on sand without any problems but i've noticed alot of shops here in the uk use aspen for them.
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:41 pm

samsleopardgeckos wrote:lovely little sand boa Smile we used to a have a adult one just like that Smile we used to keep ours on sand without any problems but i've noticed alot of shops here in the uk use aspen for them.

Oh? That's really good to know! Very Happy Do you use fine grain play sand? If so, what brand? I've been hearing a lot of rumors about silicon being in some brands of play sand (even the stuff approved for sand boxes) which can be a respiratory issue for the snakes and humans, so that's why I'm a tad wary about the sand now. Maybe I'll give her a month to see how things go. Smile
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:31 pm

awww Smile
sooo cute Very Happy I want a sand boa! they are so beautiful & yours has such lovely markings/patterns Very Happy Hera is a cool name Very Happy

Last edited by gothicgurrrl on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:00 am

OMGG! You are so lucky!! Congrats on winning, that is seriously amazing!
Hera is so gorgeous!!!
I'm so jealous!
I love the 3rd picture, so pretty <3
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:03 am

We just got play sand from our local B&Q here in the uk, just make sure you spray the tank sides with water as they always empty there water bowls so i didn't give our a water bowl just soaked the tank every 3days or so.

here's a pic of the one we had drinking off the wall Phoenix Reptile Expo Raffle Win 2010_010
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:39 am

What a gorgeous KSB and setup. Thanks for the tips! Phoenix Reptile Expo Raffle Win 131791

Here's a picture I took today...I accidentally bumped the tank and she came out to see what was going on.

Phoenix Reptile Expo Raffle Win Dscn0634pPhoenix Reptile Expo Raffle Win Dscn0635j
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:18 pm

Awww that is so cute!
Does she like being handled?
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by LindseyM16 Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:36 pm

Nice boa! I had no idea where to get raffle tickets there ahaha. you are lucky.
LindseyM16
LindseyM16
Loyal Member

Status Status : Lizards are cool.
LGF Points LGF Points : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:14 pm

kathstew wrote:Awww that is so cute!
Does she like being handled?

Well I don't know about liking it quite yet..but she isn't snappy at all! When I inquired about KSBs at other pet shops, the guys there were afraid to pull some of the youngsters out of their containers...one guy even used tongs to sift through the sand (and boy did that one snap...he struck so hard that he flipped out of his case). I'm very pleased with how curious and docile this little girl is for her age, which I think is anywhere from 1-2 months based on her size. Unfortunately, the ladies doing the raffle forgot who donated her, so I have no idea who to call for a hatch date. Oh well. Rolling Eyes

LindseyM16 wrote:Nice boa! I had no idea where to get raffle tickets there ahaha. you are lucky.

Thanks! I think she's beautiful! Smile Yeah I had trouble finding them too on the first day. No one would help me out or tell me where it was. So on Sunday, I asked the ladies at the front in the lobby - that's where it was! I wish I bought tickets for Saturday, but you know...karma can get you if you're too greedy. Wink I'm just glad I got her...for $5 pretty much! Very Happy
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:17 am

wow Smile do they hide under the sand all day? that's really interesting Very Happy
She is sooo cute Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:38 am

gothicgurrrl wrote:wow Smile do they hide under the sand all day? that's really interesting Very Happy
She is sooo cute Very Happy

They pretty much do hide all day...they're ambush predators so that's what they do Very Happy Especially babies since they're timid...I'm sure I'll see her more often once she's an adult. Smile
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down