Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New member with a problem gecko

4 posters

Go down

New member with a problem gecko Empty New member with a problem gecko

Post by daydreamar Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:49 am

Hi everyone we have a leo that is almost a year old. Our problem is since we got him he tries to bite us. We put our hands in his tank everyday and he doesn't attack anymore LOL but still can't pick him up. Is it too late? I would appreciate any help with Lucky that you could offer! Thanks

daydreamar

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 22

Back to top Go down

New member with a problem gecko Empty Re: New member with a problem gecko

Post by kathstew Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:46 am

First off, welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your time here, and I hope we are able to help you! I'm Kathryn.

Could you tell us a little about your set-up? Sometimes cranky geckos can be that way because their housing needs/feeding needs aren't met. Can you quickly describe: -the amount of hides -heating method -substrate -what you feed -how much you feed -size of tank

As well, how did you try getting him used to being held? Most leos can't just be picked up and held, it takes time for them to be used to it.

Most common method to teach them to become used to handling, is placing your hand in the tank daily. Don't touch the gecko, allow the gecko to come to you; to smell your hand and to explore it. Eventually (withing a few weeks) you should be able to lift the gecko up.

There are occasionally gecks that truly dislike being held, but I'm sure that you can conquer this difficulty!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by daydreamar Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:23 am

Hi,Kathryn Thanks for your help. Well Lucky is my sons pet. But I help with the care of him. (my son is 13). and takes good care of his pets (my sons name is Noah). Lucky is in a 20 gallon tank. right now I am using paper towels, he is fed mealworms and crickets also carrots once in a while.After joining this site I think our heating and lighting is wrong. We have 2 above lights. a day lamp and a red night lamp. I read on here they need underneath heating is that right? and they don't like the red light. So I will change that if needed. Also he has a log to go in and a plastic plant. I also red they need a damp place also. So much to learn.. Please let me know what I can do to make him like us! thanks Marcy and Noah

daydreamar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:33 am

Welcome Marcy and Noah... I'd like to direct you to a great sticky in the housng thread about making the perfect leo set up. It will inform you about EVERYTHING from heating to substrait and cage decor as well as a bit about leos natural environment to help you better undersand their needs. If you still have more questions after reading that please fel free to ask Smile
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:19 pm

Hello to your son as well!

As Kel (Kermit) says, check this out: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] its got ALL the information you need.

I'll quickly address some stuff you mentioned though.

Your tank size and substrate is great. Paper towels are a great choice. If you want a more aesthetic look, you can get tiling (ceramic, slate, peel-n-stick). THey hold the heat very well, and are easy to clean. But paper towel is a great choice as well!

Does he actually eat the carrots? Leopard geckos are insectivores, so they generally only eat insects. Thats really weird if he does eat them lol

Correct, they need under tank heating. Its a heating pad. Leos get their heat from their bellys, it helps them digest their food. THe heating pad should cover 1/3 of the tank. If you want a light, you can use a blue moon light, but that is more for your viewing purpose than anything.

You should have minimum 3 hides in your tank. 1 hide on the cool side (where the heater is NOT) and 1 on the hot side (the side with the heater). The 3rd hide should be a moist hide. Filled with either paper towel or moss. This is misted daily. The moist hide is used to help in shedding. You can take that out when the leo is not shedding or keep it in. A lot of us keep it in the tank all the time, because the leos seem to like it. Smile You can make one out of a tupperware container filled with paper towel or moss (store bought), with a hole cut into the side.

Anymore questions please ask! Very Happy

Last edited by kathstew on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed omnivores to insectivores. Oops!)
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:34 pm

kathstew wrote:Does he actually eat the carrots? Leopard geckos are omnivores, so they generally only eat insects. Thats really weird if he does eat them lol

Kathryn, your answers are really informative and right on the money, except for this sentence because leos are insectivores meaning that they eat insects only.
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:53 am

joneill wrote:
kathstew wrote:Does he actually eat the carrots? Leopard geckos are omnivores, so they generally only eat insects. Thats really weird if he does eat them lol

Kathryn, your answers are really informative and right on the money, except for this sentence because leos are insectivores meaning that they eat insects only.

Thanks Joneill. I actually did mean insectivores, but I wrote omnivores by accident. I was thinking about this later that night actually XD LOL. I'll change it now. Thanks!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:45 am

No worries, Kathryn, it happens to all of us. I know that you know your "stuff".Smile
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by daydreamar Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:55 am

thank you everyone for all the great information, especially about the heating and lighting. And I guess it is weird that Lucky eats carrots. Someone told me (I don't remember who..not on this site) to give them some veggies. Is it bad for them?. Also we give him mealworms and crickets. Is that right? or is there something better? Also should the crickets be calcified? Thanks again. Marcy

daydreamar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down