Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Okayyyy...

+3
smsararas2
Kermit
Tsuhei
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Okayyyy... - Page 2 Empty Re: Okayyyy...

Post by Tsuhei Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:40 am

samsleopardgeckos wrote:Hiya hun, could you get a pic of his mouth open? im just wondering if its mouth rot and the baytril will eventually work to sort it out but it will take about 3weeks and and your leo will stop eating until the end of baytril course. x

Three weeks? I was told to only give it to him for two...so he's been off it for a week. I don't know if the antibiotic would be very effective since the remaining bacteria would have been exposed to the antibiotic and would have been able to repair and develop some sort of resistance... right?

I don't think I can get a picture with his mouth open. He only keeps it open for a few seconds before clamping up again...and my camera takes that long just to focus (stupid Kodak 8.1 MP...I'm getting a new one soon).

What I can describe, though, is that when he opens his mouth, the roof of his mouth is a little purple (which looks normal and not inflamed). The part that's by the gap, however, seems to slope inwards a little earlier than the normal side of his mouth opposite of the gap. It still appears a little red, and toward the end of his palette, there is another purple spot.

Should I restart the Baytril? (I have plenty left over...he gave me 10 mL with the dosing only 0.03...and it doesn't expire for some time. I'm worried about him going off of food because he's still young and growing.
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Status Status : His name is Typhon!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1733

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:02 am

where the gap is is there or was there any yellowish scabbing? (you'd normally see it between the lip and teeth) can you try to get a really close up pic of that side of his mouth shut or open so i can try to get a better look? and i'll see if i can get one of mine to open there mouths to see if i can compare your description to a normal leo's mouth. I dont want to tell you to start the baytril again for no reason. how old is your boy with this problem? Mouth rot doesn't show much if any inflamation but does eventually stop them from eating and can cause tooth loss.
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:56 pm

samsleopardgeckos wrote:where the gap is is there or was there any yellowish scabbing? (you'd normally see it between the lip and teeth) can you try to get a really close up pic of that side of his mouth shut or open so i can try to get a better look? and i'll see if i can get one of mine to open there mouths to see if i can compare your description to a normal leo's mouth. I dont want to tell you to start the baytril again for no reason. how old is your boy with this problem? Mouth rot doesn't show much if any inflamation but does eventually stop them from eating and can cause tooth loss.

There's never been scabbing. It's just a little gap and he presses his tongue against it to keep it shut. I couldn't get him to keep his mouth open long enough, but these are the best outside pictures I could get while I was posing him for LGotM. His hatch date was June 13, 2011, so he's about four months old and just over 20g. The gap kind of happened overnight a few days before I first posted this topic, so I'm thinking he just ripped a few teeth out somehow. His jaw seems good, too, in terms of proportion and growth.

Okayyyy... - Page 2 Mouth1
Okayyyy... - Page 2 Mouth2q

You can see his tongue in both pictures pressed against the gap.
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:41 pm

can he eat ok like it?
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:56 pm

samsleopardgeckos wrote:can he eat ok like it?

Yeah he seems to be eating fine. He's eating kind of off-schedule since the Baytril(every other day, every two days, or every day but maybe 10 medium mealies one day, 1 medium the next, then 12 mediums the third day). Before the Baytril, he would eat every day with a voracious appetite, skipping a random day whenever he wanted. He actually ate really quick today. Right as the mealies hit the paper towel, whack! Gone. Razz

He drinks fine, too...but he doesn't like me to watch him Rolling Eyes Too bad for him, though. I always catch him at the right time for drinking water. Very Happy

The only thing he does weird with the gap is, again, pressing his tongue against the opening. Sometimes he presses so hard that the tongue comes out twice as much as in the picture...it's kind of silly.
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:48 pm

i would leave it a few weeks and see if his eating goes back to normal before considering going back to the vet or restarting the baytril and i've never seen any of my leo's drink so i wouldn't worry about that too much. from what i can see its looks like he may have hit his nose causing the gap when feeding. one of our males pokes his tongue out between his teeth when we handle him Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:55 pm

samsleopardgeckos wrote:i would leave it a few weeks and see if his eating goes back to normal before considering going back to the vet or restarting the baytril and i've never seen any of my leo's drink so i wouldn't worry about that too much. from what i can see its looks like he may have hit his nose causing the gap when feeding. one of our males pokes his tongue out between his teeth when we handle him Smile

Well, he DOES have terrible aim...and when I occasionally jiggle the mealworms to get his attention with the tongs, he focuses on the tongs and he has rammed them and bit them before by mistake... Embarassed That could be a possibility. I'll definitely keep an eye on him. Okayyyy... - Page 2 131791 Thank you!

You gotta show me your leo, though. Razz He sounds cute with his tongue poking out.
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:38 pm

thats ok hun Smile will try to get a pic when i clean his tub out in a bit but he's camera shy when gary's not here Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum