Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Information about my Super Snow

3 posters

Go down

Information about my Super Snow Empty Information about my Super Snow

Post by Tsuhei Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:44 pm

I was finally able to get some information on my little guy that I really, really wanted.

Hatch date: June 13, 2011
Father: Snow Enigma
Mother: Snow

(Parents MIGHT be het. for albino or RAPTOR...the shop wasn't quite sure which parent had what het. if any at all).

Now, I have a few questions about genetics. He is a super snow and he looks like he also might be albino (based on previous forum members' comments). Could the father's enigma traits effect him? What will he be het. for if he's het for anything? Good pairings? (just curious about the last question... Razz not going to breed, I don't think).

Also, I'm a little confused on the term "Super Snow". Is a super snow the same as a Mack super snow? Is a Snow the same as a Mack Snow? If not, what's the difference? Pictures would be helpful! Smile
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Status Status : His name is Typhon!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1733

Back to top Go down

Information about my Super Snow Empty Re: Information about my Super Snow

Post by Mardy Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:08 pm

Combining a mack snow enigma male with a mack snow female, you get the following:

12.5% Super Snow Enigma (1 Copy)
25% Mack Snow Enigma (1 Copy)
12.5% Enigma (1 Copy)
12.5% Super Snow
25% Mack Snow
12.5% Normal

They won't be het for anything unless the parents had hets in them. Without knowing for sure, you won't know unless you want to test breed.

So yes, super snow would mean mack super snow. Depending on how it looks, it could have enigma in it if you see speckled pattern and less black dots than what super snows usually have. Also look out for enigma syndrome, it's also a good indication whether it'll have the enigma genes in it or not.

Hope that helps Smile
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:50 am

Mack Super Snow is the same as Super Snow, some of us drop the mack part some don't. The thing is, the Super Snow is the Super gene of the Mack Snow. That's why it is a Mack Super Snow AND a Super Snow; if that makes sense. If it looks slightly albino, then it isn't actually het. for it. That pairing is good in that it comes up with super snows. They could've (might still) do better to do a super snow male to the female and have a higher ratio in the genetics department for super snows. <br>
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks for the clarification, guys! Smile And the information on genetics.

However, I have one more question about a little "fact" that the shop owner brought up to me...

When I told the shop owners about my leo's weight being 7 grams when I originally got him (approximately 2 months old) and that he's now a little over double his original weight, I was told that Super Snows grow slower than other morphs and that's the reason why he was so small. Now, I'm not sure about you guys, but I'm not exactly sure if that's a true fact...

...but then I was reading a few things on another gecko site. Someone mentioned that their 4 month old leo (not the same morph as mine, though) weighed about 35 grams...my leo is about 3 1/2 months old and he barely weighs 17 grams. What's up with that?

Here's what he looks like today..he looks pretty healthy to me.

Information about my Super Snow September282011
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:34 pm

Super snows do generally grow slower, not always, but often. 7g at 2 months is pretty small though. But as long as he looks proportional, act alert, and eat/poop well, then he's probably doing just fine.

Pretty super snow by the way, nice patterns. Information about my Super Snow 131791
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:38 pm

Mardy wrote:Super snows do generally grow slower, not always, but often. 7g at 2 months is pretty small though. But as long as he looks proportional, act alert, and eat/poop well, then he's probably doing just fine.

Pretty super snow by the way, nice patterns. Information about my Super Snow 131791

Yeah I thought 7g for 2 months was REALLY small. Here's what he looked like when I got him on August 18, 2011.

Information about my Super Snow Imag0547l

His tail looks pathetic compared to now. I think it's because the shop was feeding the leos by putting worms into bowls...and my leo only eats things that crawls in front of him on the floor. He's never used a bowl since I've had him...I've tried. Picky, picky. Razz

Why do Super Snows grow slower, though? What's in their genetics that causes slow growth?
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:40 pm

It has something to do with the fact that they carry the super form of the snow gene. It just clamps on their growth. This is especially so when the parents are Super Snow and Super Snow. You run in to a lot of still birth and deformaties due to this slow growth rate.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down