Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unhealthy Leopard Gecko (I think)

+6
Maggie118
Jordan
Kodieh
samsleopardgeckos
smsararas2
Cornelia
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Unhealthy Leopard Gecko (I think) - Page 2 Empty Re: Unhealthy Leopard Gecko (I think)

Post by Cornelia Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:09 am

I don't know for sure how old she is, the guy who gave her to me said a few years old but she probably is younger.

I so hope that it isn't crypto...my boyfriend has several snakes worth a good bit and having crypto in the area would not be good...that thought kinda just makes me want to get rid of her asap.

Does she actually have to poop to get stool samples? She only pooped like a week ago and I threw it away already. I did e-mail the vet back yesterday with some questions but he hasn't answered me. I'm going to look for a second opinion and maybe a third.

I noticed one more symptom last night, I was dabbing some water on her nose yesterday for her to drink and she was licking it, but then a few minutes later she started shaking her head real fast and liquid flew out (I think she was throwing up?). She also had some nasty grey mucousy stuff on her chin when she finished. Does that indicate any problem in particular?

Cornelia

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 49

Back to top Go down

Unhealthy Leopard Gecko (I think) - Page 2 Empty Re: Unhealthy Leopard Gecko (I think)

Post by CharliesReptiles Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:21 am

Fair enough. I would say anything from 6months to a year of age, but I'm not brilliant at telling the age of leos.

You shouldn't feel like that, as it could be something very simple and easily treated and as long as you have a high hygiene (washing hands before and after) and note re-using bowls without washing you shouldn't of passed it on to anything else. But having stools done will ovbi put your mind at rest and give her the best possible treatment.

If she isn't eating than she wont be going to the toilet as much as she should. The best way is to send stools off, but the vet is able to flush the belly to get a sample out, but this can sometimes cause more stress than what's needed. Your vet should be able to tell you the best possible route. The more opinions you get the better, and don't go to a vet because they are cheaper, this can sometimes cause more issues, because they might not be trained or know about reptiles.

I've had that done with one of mine. Its not a good sign, but cant 100% say why they do it. My male had worms and wasn't showing any signs of this (he was in quarantine for 4 months) breed him with my females and all hell broke lose. They are all treated and better now, but sadly he passed away, he was in a poor state and ovbi be suffering for some times without showing it (Reptiles are good as hiding things) and he shook his head when I try to feed him water to keep him hydrated. I wouldn't know for sure, and would like a better member with more experience than me give you a answer on the head shaking and mucous stuff.
CharliesReptiles
CharliesReptiles
Loyal Member

Status Status : Crestie coming tonight :) x
LGF Points LGF Points : 1439

http://www.charliesreptiles.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornelia Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:46 am

I sent an e-mail to the vet that Tsuhei recommended, hopefully he will read it.

I've been washing my hands like crazy since I heard it might be crypto, I wasn't so particular about if before but it's probably ok since I don't mess with the snakes and my bf doesn't mess with the gecko. I'm not really worried about myself getting it, just about the snakes.

Thanks for the rest of your advice, I will look into it. I don't know if she'd even have any poo in her, she hasn't eaten in so long.

Cornelia

LGF Points LGF Points : 49

Back to top Go down

Post by CharliesReptiles Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:06 am

As long as you haven't been in contact with the gecko than the snakes, than you should be fine. But ovbi nothing is 100% sure in till you get them test results back. If it turned out that the leo has got something, weather this is a simple parasite which can be treated or like wise worst like Crypto, than its best to have the snakes tested as well - this gives you and your boyfriend a piece of mind, and helps you run into more possible problems later down the line.

Umm again, its hard once because she has eaten. But like I said, a good vet will choice the best action and you will be able to say yes or no to it as well Smile I know when I took in a very skinny gecko, he gave me a liquid called CCF which is like a energy drink to us. to get her eating and hopefully get all the energy and vits she needed, a extra boost, sadly it was a little too late for her,but yours has a fighting chance !
CharliesReptiles
CharliesReptiles
Loyal Member

Status Status : Crestie coming tonight :) x
LGF Points LGF Points : 1439

http://www.charliesreptiles.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by reps4life Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:43 pm

Cornelia wrote:I sent an e-mail to the vet that Tsuhei recommended, hopefully he will read it.

I've been washing my hands like crazy since I heard it might be crypto, I wasn't so particular about if before but it's probably ok since I don't mess with the snakes and my bf doesn't mess with the gecko. I'm not really worried about myself getting it, just about the snakes.

Thanks for the rest of your advice, I will look into it. I don't know if she'd even have any poo in her, she hasn't eaten in so long.

You cannot get a diagnosis thru email. She must be taken to get examined by a vet. Imo she does not look like she has crypto, looks more like impaction. Her abdomen looks distended. Her keeping her eyes closed is a sign of discomfort. She will not eat if she is blocked. She needs a vet asap.

reps4life

LGF Points LGF Points : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2