Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Culling of hatchlings

4 posters

Go down

Culling of hatchlings Empty Culling of hatchlings

Post by joneill Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:26 am

Ok, so this is not a nice topic but I have heard the term used many times by breeders. How exactly do you cull a hatchling? Are there different ways of getting the job done or does everyone stick to the same method?
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Culling of hatchlings Empty Re: Culling of hatchlings

Post by smsararas2 Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:28 am

Everyone has very strong opinions on this. I am just going to tell you some of the different ways, I am not telling you which way is the "right" way or the "best" way, I am just telling you them. Some people will put them in the freezer, some people will wrap them in a bag or something similar and drop a VERY large brick on them. Some people will make an O2 chamber(I don't know how), and some people will feed them to a larger lizard.

Whatever the method it isn't pleasant of course and it is usually surrounded in strong emotions.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:06 am

Everyone certainly does not use the same method to cull. Puttimg them in a freezer is considered cruel for a herp. The cellular distruction that takes place before the animal reaaches unconsciousness is quite painful.. suffocation is another questionable method because herps have the ability for very low resperation so it is a long demise,same goes for a co2 chamber. The most humane method aside of a barbituate injection from your vet is cervical dislocation or severe crushing trauma either thru a brick or a larger herp that is a fast killer (sorry to be blunt but honesty in there matters with out sugar coating I find is always best).

We breed show rabbits and we often end up having to cull babies or sick older rabbits. Granted rabbits are a bit larger so shooting is a realistic option, but it never fails to sting anytime we need to cull an animal. I just had to cull just about the sweetest rabbit in my rabbitry a couple weeks ago because of pasturella. He could have wiped out my entire herd.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:47 am

The dry ice chamber Jolene talks about is the most humane way I know of. You get two styrofoam ice chests, link them together with a tube of sorts, then put dry ice in one and the animal in the other. Replace both lids, and the deed will be done in a few minutes.

This is the process for humane way to pre-kill feeder mice and rats.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:26 pm

Not always kodie. With co2 chambers, most herps can slow respiration to low levels like 1 breath a minute. It would not be the same as it would for a mammal. The use of co2 chambers for euth has been established as cruel and inhumane method by most animal advocacy groups and banned in most states. For herps I do truly believe there's a more humane way. I've used co2 on a couple rabbits... it wasn't pretty or quiet and peaceful.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:49 pm

Hopefully I will never have to do it but I just wanted to know anyway.
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:19 am

Hopefully not but it is a real issue any breeder will likely encounter at some point in their breeding career.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down